Rain Suits

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tbruno
Motorcycle: 2010 Goldwing

Rain Suits

Postby tbruno » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Hello, bought a two piece rain suit from Tourmaster and it is not any good. Went from Albany, New York to Fort Mayers, Florida. The suit did not work. I was soaked, so I bought a one piece from the BMW dealer, too hot in the summer. Can anybody tell what they are wearing and how is it working. Thank's.

tequilla
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800
1983 Gl1100A

Re: Rain Suits

Postby tequilla » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:23 pm

We wear Toadskinz Rage from Froggtoggs and are very happy with them. We ride a lot in the rain and always stay dry,(so far). Tequilla

JimsWing
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Postby JimsWing » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:45 pm

I have a basic Froggs Toggs jacket and just got their Tek pants. Used to wear Tourmaster pants (not rain pants) which I like a lot but they don't pack small enough. My wife wears a Froggs Toggs suit. We've never gotten wet with them but we've never had to ride for very long in heavy rain.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a RoadGear rain suit but hardly ever wear the jacket. I have two waterproof breathable jackets so I usually have one of them with me and put the pants on from the rainsuit if needed. The RoadGear suit works well when I use it.

Rigger
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby Rigger » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:36 am

Hands down... Frog Toggs

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:25 am

+4 for the Frogg Toggs.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:54 pm

I live in Ontario and ride from March to October if mother nature lets me. Frogg Toggs are great, when I used to ride in England I used Belstaf gear. Last year I bought Wetskins from Costco $49.00 for top and bottoms. I am a member of the Red Knights and in late April or so 30 of us rode from Kingston ON. to Dexter NY in rain both ways, I was completely dry and so impressed with the suit. Add a pair of over boots and waterproof gloves and even 6 Celsius and rain was bearable. Considering some of my riding partners were wearing name brand expensive gear that leaked terribly I was very happy.

JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Postby JerriEric » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:00 pm

I bought some fieldsheer suits at Americade that were seconds. Cost me $15 each and they have performed perfectly. No leaks and keeps us both dry. I hear HD rain suits are the best. Wonder who makes them?

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Hmmm, several on the ride with me were wearing the Black/Orange HD suits, they look great but leaked around the neck and crotch.

JerriEric

Postby JerriEric » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Neck leaking is difficult. How would you prevent it? With a strangle hold? Crotch, should not leak. My cheapo's never leaked in the neck or crotch. So paying allot is not always the best answer. Frog Togg's, I just hate the feel of them. If the HD leaked then take them back to the dealer.

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:14 am

We have Tourmaster and only had an issue with the Missus pants. The pants started leaking at the bottom. Turns out pants were a return and dealer put them back on the rack. The other half of the story was the previous owner bought them too tight and stretched out the stitching. Replaced them with a new pair and havent had an issue since. Had Frogg Toggs and they leaked. I only wish Tourmaster had High Viz colors on their rain gear.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 am

pgfireman wrote:Hmmm, several on the ride with me were wearing the Black/Orange HD suits, they look great but leaked around the neck and crotch.

I have a set of HD rainwear. Very expensive, and do not leak because the seams are vulcanized which can only be done with rubber, right? However, they absolutely do not breath, so you end up as wet inside as you would be without rain gear on hot days. They are great on real cool rainy days.

My choice is still the Frog Toggs, for which I also have overboots and overgloves.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

JerriEric

Postby JerriEric » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:43 pm

I know my cheapo's do not leak but my crotch sure feels wet but when I take the suit off it is not. So you are probably right about the breathing.

oilboy1162
Motorcycle: '72 cb750k
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Postby oilboy1162 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:33 pm

i use a two piece tourmaster( model unknown) and have never gotten wet, other than a downpour where i could'nt see ten feet in front of me, and that being around my helmet(wicking up the padding) and my boots, whick unfortunatly were not waterproof. 'nuff said
:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I just posted a review on the Olympia Horizon rain suit that I am now using: Olympa Horizon Rain Gear

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:31 am

My winter riding gear is water-resistant, so I never had a need for additional rain gear if it is cool(er) out. When the temps warm up and there is a potential for riding in the wet, I bought a set of Frogg Toggs at WalMart (20$ and they came with a stuff sack for the rain gear...

I had been hesitant to buy the Frogg Toggs because they always looked to me like they'd rip as soon as I put them on. I have to say that I am very well pleased with the way these keep me dry, and how they don't make me sweat in them like some of the PVC or rubberized rain gear I've worn over the years.

However, after reading Admin's review of the Olympia Horizon Rain Gear, I may have to check out a set of their rain gear for the long term.

I don't often ride in the rain for long periods of time, and to be perfectly frank, when it's hot outside I don't mind the cool rain. I got caught in a downpour one day last week on my way home from work and I rode through it without stopping to put on the Froggs. WHen I got home, the only thing wet on me was the arms of my mesh jacket... the rest of my dried off over the course of 35 miles of riding... and it felt really good to be that cool on a 90 degree day!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

RICHB2
Motorcycle: 2012 BMW K1600GTL
2011 HARLEY ROAD GLIDE ULTRA SE
2012 GL 1800 SOON

Postby RICHB2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:17 am

We have ridden in rain, sleet, hail, and snow, all in Harley rain ear. Barbs is without question more durable then mine but I wear the HD Gortex suit. Yup, it is expensive. Worth every penny, and it is FRXG as is our riding coats. Never regret spending the money, warm is warm and dry is dry! Rode from Glacier National park to Pocatello, ID one day in the most miserable rain and snow flurries you can imagine. Did NOT want to do it but had to. We stopped many, many times.

My vote is HARLEY.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:05 am

I use FirstGear Rainman jacket and pants. Velcro neck and arm, very dry and comfortable at 90 degree riding in downpour. Have ridden 10 hours in hard rain and stayed dry. It rains every time I go to Florida.

WingRigger97
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800PA/Comfort; 1997 GL1500A w/CS Friendship II Sidecar; 1975 GL1000

Postby WingRigger97 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm

My wife and I both use the Tourmaster Elite, Hi-Vis Yellow, Two-Piece suit. This is my second go-around with the Elite because I just flat wore the other one out. Lasted 7-8 years before the seam protection finally broke down. I've done the Frogg-Toggs (too flimsy, and they soaked through during a 30-minute rain storm in Florida), and did the cheap Wally World PVC (NOT what you want to use for a Motorcycle Rain suit...drip,drip,drip).
The new Elite has a self-contained, very soft helmet liner which has kept the rain off my neck and out of my jacket without any problem. The suit does get a little clammy on hotter days, +80F, but other than that, no complaints.
For being such a big suit, I don't find the packed down size a problem, but then, I can roll it up pretty tight (a trick my Dad taught me from his time with Uncle Sam).
I also wear the WP Solutions boots and Aerostitch "Vulcan" glove covers. BTW, if you opt for the Aerostitch covers, take their word for it when you size for them. I thought it best to go bigger to make sure they would go over my winter gloves. They go over them allright!! I could probably get another pair in there at the same time. At $47 a pair they are well worth the cost, especially riding across South Dakota through rain storms off and on all day with the temps in the 60-70F range.
It doesn't matter how often, how far, or on what you ride, it just matters that you ride.

cfennell1832
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2007 1800GL

Postby cfennell1832 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Im looking for something neon colored and has reflecting panels also, those that are affordable will get more attention from me.

WingRigger97
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800PA/Comfort; 1997 GL1500A w/CS Friendship II Sidecar; 1975 GL1000

Postby WingRigger97 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Well cfennell, the Tourmaster has both, though your requirement of "neon" is a little broad. The Tourmaster Elite comes in yellow, red, blue and black, and does have highly reflective components. Prices run under $100 for each piece. You can check with Cycle Gear, Aerostitch, Joe Rocket, Olympia, Alpinestar.....just about anyone who makes motorcycle clothing. You're already using the Internet, so just do a search and start hunting.
Good luck.
It doesn't matter how often, how far, or on what you ride, it just matters that you ride.

goldenpaws
Motorcycle: GL1800

Postby goldenpaws » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 pm

I have found rainwear with Gortex to be the best solution. It's waterproof and breatheable. I have a set of LL Bean Gore-tex rain jacket and pants that I've used for over 10 years without any issues. If it develops any issues, back to LL Bean it goes for a free replacement. Yes it's a bit expensive, but it has continued to work flawlessly and their lifetime guarantee can't be beat.

heholdem
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby heholdem » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 pm

For warm weather rain gear, I have been using a jacket I bought at REI around 13 years ago. I can't find a model # on it, all it has is an REI tag and an E3 symbol on it. I like it because it has a vented back, under arm zippers that allow you to control the air flow that goes through it, velcro wrists, and a high collar that fits well under my helmet. It is completely waterproof, although I have been hitting it with a H2O repellent spray for the last few years. As far as the bottom half, I was using a pair of pants, that again I purchased at REI. They were nice due to the mesh lining and zippered lowers that allowed for easy on easy off over boots. These wore out (the lining on the inside literally was disintegrating) and at the time, being on a low budget, opted for my bib type, pvc type overalls I used for fishing. These, although being hotter in warm weather and engine heat draft, are 100% waterproof as well.
During cold weather(and we all have our own definitions of cold) I wear my leathers. My jacket is around 20 years old or so and has enough mink oil, bee's wax, and other such water proofing agents in it that a mailman would be proud to wear it. Through rain and sleet and snow ect ect it has not failed me. The only problem is that I am a bit girthier than I used to be and fear that a new leather is is my near future, and unfortunately the quality of today's product does not seem to come close to that of years gone by. Same goes for my lower half in cold wet weather riding. Short or day trips, I have used chaps that again have been age loaded full of rain proofing product, and leather over pants for longer rides, seeing as how chaps tend to leave my man bits a bit cold and wet. Due to friction, these tend to wear out faster and need replacing every couple of years.
I have recently been looking in to some of the Gore-Tex materials. Some of my snow bound friends in the north have had me looking in to snowboarding pants which are insulated, padded, and reinforced in the knees and crotch, and also have the zip over boot feature. But shelling out high dollars for something that might be waterproof hmm i just don't know.

Rubber side down ya'll

bluewing2010
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby bluewing2010 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:07 pm

I don't know if the rain gear we have in Oz is available in the US, but I use a DriRider jacket and NaxSax pants. The NaxSax had a minor leak in the seat area, but the manufacturer spent some time resealing them and now I don't expect any problems. Whatever you get always buy something 2 sizes too big, so the seams aren't stressed and the gear will fit over your jeans & jackets quickly and easily.
Two piece is definitely the way to go so you get some air circulation, otherwise you sweat so much you would have been better off with nothing.
Of course, our wet season is also summer, so even if you do get a bit wet it really isn't too much of a problem.

moose53
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby moose53 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:50 am

My wife and I are old school and prefer leather jackets and chaps. The jackets have liners for the colder weather and while they can be warm in summer, we've never found them too hot when riding. The chaps can get warm in summer so my wife sometimes wears them over shorts and that seems to help her. I find the leather actually neutralizes the hot engine air from cooking my legs during summer rides. Finally, I feel more secure wearing leather. It won't help against breaks, but skids won't result in bad road rash.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”