This one scared the crap out of me...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
argosybob
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

This one scared the crap out of me...

Postby argosybob » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:47 am

Yesterday morning, I was traveling Northbound on I-93 just North of Derry, NH when a truck carrying a load of ground up asphalt dropped a couple of good sized chunks. One of them bounced and hit me squarely in the middle of my face shield (I wear an AFX FX-76 3/4 helmet with a clip-on, flip up type). It hit me with enough force that it felt like I got punched by Mike Tyson. I didn't lose control, but the pucker factor was pretty damned high, I'd say an 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I hate to think of what would have happened had I not had the shield on... After work today, I'm going shopping for a new shield - these scratches WON'T polish out!

Be safe out there.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: This one scared the crap out of me...

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:23 am

You're very lucky! Just think if it had hit you a few inches lower - could have hit you with force in your throat, chest, shoulder...I'll take a hit to the faceshield and the cost to replace it any day over injury and pain!

CaptLen
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800A

Postby CaptLen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:22 am

Glad you're OK, Bob- just shows that those of us who choose to wear saferty gear do so for a reason- a large bug hit my shield the other day (on my Sportster)- that was alarming enough- sound like a pistol shot- on the 'Wing I look through the windshield so less likelihood.
Again, glad you're OK

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm

I agree with the thought that thankfully you were using safety equipment, those of us that have had any miles under our belts know what it feels like to be hit by a hard shell bug at 60 mph, almost anywhere on the body it's going to hurt. I can just imagine what a chunk of asphalt would feel like. It's well worth the cost of replacing the face shield vs facial repair.
Proud member Patriot Guard

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Wow, you better go buy a lotto ticket. I have claustrophobia so bad that I would have to quit riding if I had to have anything like a shield that close to my face. That is why I always have a windshield on all my bikes and an open face helmet on my head. They aren't perfect, but better than nothing. I did have a very big and very juicy bug hit the shield right at the top of the windshield and it traveled over and hit me right in the face. It completely covered my prescription eye glasses so bad I had to immediately pull over as I couldn't see anything. A Helmet shield would have been nice, but alas I make do with what I've got. Oh, and I now carry a big bottle of Walmart eye glass spray and a Zeiss rag to wipe them with.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Why do all the bugs know when it is riding time?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:53 am

I have had that happen with a stone thrown back by a truck. Without a face shield I probably would be dead. Very lucky!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:28 am

I always wear at least a helmet more because of things flying debris that fly at you. I have a couple of deep scratches on the sides of my helmet and one deep long one in my windshield from being hit by flying junk.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 am

Glad you are okay. It is another reminder to not ride behind trucks or other vehicles carrying cargo or the like, if at all possible. I was behind a truck that had just dropped off a load of gravel at a road construction site a few years back, and the dump door swung open a bit when it hit a bump. Yup, you guessed it, it dropped a few stones out the back door that isn't secured when not full, but still may contain some left over product. Enough scratches on the windshield that it needed replacing, and my shatter proof visor was replaced as well.

I try not to ride behind any trucks when possible.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”