Great trip on an almost new Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Great trip on an almost new Goldwing

Postby seabeechief » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Babycakes and I just got back from a trip from Canyon Lake, Texas to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on our 2008 Goldwing. Before we left, the bike underwent the Honda 24k service which included changing all the fluids, plus new brake pads, new "Double Darkside" tires (Michelin Alpin on rear and Bridgestone Battlax on front) and new progressive suspension by Buckskin in Cypress, Texas. The trip was fantastic, with nothing to hamper our ride except a little rain on the way home. We were on the road 21 days and churned 4,204 miles with absolutely no mechanical problems. We averaged 36.5 mpg riding two up and pulling a trailer. The average price for gas was $3.52 per gallon, with the highest price of $3.78 in Gettysburg and the lowest price $3.30 per gallon in Waveland, Mississippi.

I must say that North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. 95%+ of our riding was on back roads and there is nothing like seeing America in the slow lane. We managed to stay off the freeways most of the time.

The Progressive suspension is definitely better than the original equipment. The WingSoft seat became uncomfortable after a few hours in the saddle. It just feels hard. I may have to pump up the money to try an Ultimate seat before the next long trip. Once again I will say....I wish I could put my old Harley Davidson Road King seat on my Goldwing. If I can't get the seat issue resolved in the not too distant future, I will seriously consider going back to Harley. Riding is not supposed to be that uncomfortable all the time. It just seems like we have to make a choice between a smooth, quiet ride and a comfortable seat. And spending thousands of dollars trying upgrade seats on a $20-$25k motorcycle just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

After an initial adjustment in the "feel" of the car tire on the rear, I have absolutely no qualms or misgivings about going Darkside. For 2/3 the cost and 3-4 times the mileage, it just makes sense to me. I know about the 2/3 cost. I will have to wait and see about the mileage. I could not feel any difference in the way the bike corners. I believe it stops a little better, but I'm not sure if it is the new car tire, or just the new tire. I believe more "footprint" on the road has to play some part in it.

We had a great ride on an almost new Goldwing. Life is good.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: Great trip on an almost new Goldwing

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:32 am

"The average price for gas was $3.52 per gallon, with the highest price of $3.78 in Gettysburg and the lowest price $3.30 per gallon in Waveland, Mississippi."

The equivalent price here in Europe is about $8.30 if my poor arithmetic is accurate!

I never quite understood seats. My GL1500 seat looks sumptuous and initially it is forgiving, but I too find it uncomfortable after an hour or two. Contrast that with my Brooks leather saddle on my bicycle - which looks like something out of a medieval torture chamber, it is wonderfully comfortable, and my legs give up long before my backside does.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:02 pm

I have a new car tire on the back of my 1500 right now. I just ordered my Bridgestone BT45 for the front. Going to try the Double Darkside thing.
Just got one question. Is there a particular reason the rear/front tire should be mounted backwards? :)

(Or front/rear tire. :lol: )
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

noviwinger
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Postby noviwinger » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Maybe because my bike is new, but the stock seat for my wife and I were the most comfortable we have ever had the pleasure of placing our fanny's in. When we purchased the bike we had a 1200 mile trip home and we were to our amazement not even tired after a full days ride. We had no aches or pains or any discomfort. I am sorry to hear of your issues, I guess every fanny is different. I hope you get seat issue resolved, the bike is too nice to replace because of the seat, but my fat fanny fits. Good Luck

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:24 pm

noviwinger, I'm glad your seat works for you. Since that post was going on two years old, I have some updates. The biggest change is I had a Roadsmith trike kit on my bike. We have a few small problems, all related to the installation, but we're getting them ironed out.

The Wingsoft seat was replaced by an Ultimate seat, and it was no better on my old butt. I'm going to give it one more try, and get a Tom Simmons custom seat next month. They are a little pricey, but cheaper than a new Harley Ultra. Owning a Goldwing is not unlike owning a boat or an airplane. Hobbies cost money. Ride Safe!

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Return to “Goldwing Chat”