Introduction... new guy from the South

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Introduction... new guy from the South

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am

I've been riding motorcycles since about 1984. I started out with a Honda, and 30 years later, with one or two exceptions along the way, I find myself riding a Honda. I tried HARD to find a Harley Davidson that fit me. It wasn't meant to be, I guess. I also rode a Suzuki and a Yamaha while searching for the perfect motorcycle. A few years back, a neighbor almost gave me a GL500 Interstate, and I rode the heck out of it...

Two years ago, one of my horses got his hoof hung in some wire, and in all the excitement of getting him cut out (it was all my fault) he gave me a little "love pat" on my left wrist, pretty much shattering the wrist with his hoof... That more or less put me in a 4-wheeler for nearly a year. Once I got the confidence to ride back again, I found a GL1200 Interstate model for sale locally... went for a ride, and won't ever look back. I'm a Wing-Nut through and through. My 1200 is the easiest motorcycle to work on of any I've ever owned or any I've ever worked on. Once you get used to where things are located, and what they do, wrenching is fairly easy.

I thought about "trading up" to a 1500, but there's just too much plastic on them for my eye... maybe one of those SHINY Valkyries one day... A buddy of mine rides a Valkyrie Interstate with a couple of bags on it, and a car tire on the back... I always want to ride it when I see it, but I don't ride what isn't mine or anything I don't intend to buy if it rides right... I'll find the right one soon enough.

My 1200 is a bit of a rat... Its been passed around a lot, I'm sure, and not really well looked after anywhere it has been... kept outside in the weather (from looking at it at least) most of its life, and I'm just getting everything back to where it should be mechanically, then we'll worry about making her pretty again...

As far as me: I've worked on large industrial machinery most of my life... steel mills, power plants, meat packing industry... with some welding, machining, fabrication (sheet metal and structural)... large diesel engines, and I've worked on all my own vehicles all my life. I like Chevrolet cars and trucks, just because that's what my Dad drove. I have owned more Honda Motorcycles than anything else combined, and probably will only ride Hondas for as long as I'm able to ride. I ride almost every day, weather permitting (No snow, No ice).

I'm married with five (mostly) grown children... I hunt, fish, shoot targets at fairly long distances. I don't like drama, and I believe I can fix almost anything broken, if I have enough time and information to figure out what the problem was to begin with...

I'm a Virginian.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Introduction... new guy from the South

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:27 am

Welcome...
Keep your tools clean.Theres plenty of folks round here that can give enough information to put them to good use.
We even know bout the magic smoke in the wires too.
Ask anything.Im sure someone will chime in.Theres not much we haven't heard about or had to figure out on these bikes.
Have you replaced the timing belts yet.???

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:20 pm

I have not replaced the timing belts yet. I have a brand new set of belts in my parts box, but haven't had the time to do the replacement. I know I need to do the work soon. I'll probably take the next "long" weekend to do the change. I'm also thinking of replacing the coils, wires and a few other mods when I do belts. I have modified the stator wires to remove the three-pronged plug connecting the stator wires to the rectifier/regulator and have cleaned up some grounds. My engine starts better, headlight burns brighter, and I can tell you the old three-prong connector was horribly corroded and partially melted when I checked it. I was probably pretty close to burning up the stator.

The brake calipers need rebuilding, clutch slave and master cylinders probably need rebuilding, and I should probably replace the brake and clutch lines with stainless steel lines. I have a lot to do to restore the bike to "excellent" shape. I am just riding it daily for now.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Well, here is a guy from the Deep South. Welcome to the good site, where everything is possible - given enough time and money :D It sounds like you have yourself organised to do the critical maintenance, and to keep the rat chuffing along nicely. Keep on, keeping on, and you will have the time to enjoy as well as the time to work it all out. Keep smiling.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:02 am

Welcome to this fine forum.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 am

HawkeyeGL1200,

I just want to say Welcome to the website to a fellow Virginian! I am also a lifetime resident of the state and presently live in the metropolis of Varina. You are a little south of me!

I have also been searching for that perfect motorcycle but now realize I will never have it, but will have the bike I enjoy riding and I am lucky enough to have the only bike I ever really lusted after---my 81CBX. I don't have your mechanical skills or knowledge but do enjoy doing minor repairs.

We need to get together and ride.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 am

Welcome to this great forum, lots of info and good people!

I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Return to “Goldwing Chat”