Stainless Mug to fit RAM mount???

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Stainless Mug to fit RAM mount???

Postby Mh434 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi, folks.

Well, I mounted a RAM cup holder on my GL1500. Looks great, strong as houses.

One problem, though - I have 7 or 8 stainless spill-proof travel mugs, but all are of the tall-and-skinny variety. Put one of those in the RAM mount, and it tips over, dumping the mug out, because it's top heavy.

I also have a couple of stainless mugs that are narrow at the bottom, then flare out to a larger cylindrical shape. Great! They fit in the holder perfectly, stay in place, center of gravity is low enough to let the RAM's gimbal-design do its job. Problem? NONE of these has a spill-proof top. I special-ordered a mug from Zazzle that claimed to be spill proof. Well, its cover might close enough to keep larger bugs out, but it sure doesn't keep liquids in. Tried it out last night - first bump, coffee (with cream & sugar) squirted up through the many holes (even though the thing was in its 'closed' position) & the windflow over the top of it streamed the coffee all down the side of my bike. Lay this mug on its side, with its "spillproof" lid closed, and it will empty itself in less than 5 seconds (I tried it - with water - didn't want to waste Starbucks!) :roll:

I've been scouring the 'Net, but everything truly spillproof these days seems to be either skinny & a foot tall, or shaped like a barrel & holding about a half gallon.

Has ANYBODY found something that will work? If I can't find anything, I guess my next move is to use my lathe & try to manufacture my own spillproof lid...

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Stainless Mug to fit RAM mount???

Postby robb » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Most ram mounts come with a can liner that fits nicely in the mount. A tall slender thermos will fit in the liner. Can take the mount with you and go to Walmart and find a suitable cup.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:10 pm

I did try that, actually. It does work, after a fashion, but the coffee mugs that fit in the sleeve (the RAM did come with one) are tall, and if there's anything in the mug, the whole thing is top heavy & tips over.

At this point I've decided to toss the RAM mount in the trash & get another Swagman holder (for bicycles) from Mountain Equipment Co-op to replace it. It doesn't have the gimbal-action of the RAM, but at least it holds the modern tall, skinny travel mugs securely. I really like RAM stuff normally, but this one is useless for motorcycle use. If you put an open can in it, the first bump will spill the contents all over your bike. I suppose you could use short, squat water bottles in it, but piping hot coffee is my beverage of choice.

Wish I hadn't spent the $60 on it, now...

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Have had a 34oz Butler cup for years and am very happy.

http://wingstuff.com/products/2084-beve ... ink-holder

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:32 am

I have same issue. You said you have access to a lathe. I intend to (that's future tense) make a heavy metal ring and attch to the bottom of the holder to lower the CG. I have also seen a snap on lid for a common soda can that has a flip top.
DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Now THAT'S a cool idea!

I'm also contemplating making a new, narrower U-shaped fork to fit the RAM swivel, and make my own, longer & skinnier bucket to hold the new-style coffee mugs...

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 am

clear silicone would stop the action of the RAM mount so it would not tip over. It would eliminate the self adjustment but save the usefulness of a $60 mount.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:27 am

I'm sure you know that you can buy RAM balls with internal or external threads or even with thru holes for your own bolts.

Thinking you could use the existing U frame with just a deeper bucket. But after using this for a while, I wouldn't want it to hang any lower.

I have one of these on the passenger arm rest: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/quick_r ... der/141148 never really liked it though.

I have one of these that I sometimes clamp on the passenger grip. It also works on the Valkyrie handlebars: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/quick_r ... der/141148

I've looked at the Butler and Kuryakyn but didn't want to remove the RAM from the brake/cluth lever mounts. This one looks interesting: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/koffee_kaddy/48405 and Kruzer Kaddy does seem to make nice stuff.
DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Well, I decided to try something here. I made my own U-shaped piece (I had some T-6061 aluminum around), a new bucket (made out of some ABS water pipe), and an aluminum spacer (required, if the original RAM screw is to be used). I turned the water pipe on the lathe to true it up & clean it up (one side had faded to gray in the sun, over the last 10 years). It didn't come up perfect, but it looks pretty good. The flash, of course, highlights ALL the flaws, even the ones you can't see with the naked eye - even my thumbprint, in the second pic :roll: .

Anyway, it seems to work well, and holds my tall, skinny coffee cup without tipping. The gimbal action works great. The holder is only a couple of inches longer than the RAM one (which I can still use), and it's well out of the way of everything through the entire range of the bars' movement.
Attachments

Return to “Goldwing Chat”