what trike kit to choose ????

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
honda1982
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade 1988 GL1500 1990 GL1500 trike

what trike kit to choose ????

Postby honda1982 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 pm

ok so here i go bad hip knee ankle all on the same leg but got 5000 plus miles on my 1500 here is the deal looking to trike my 88 in the near future an just don't no where to start on what trike kit to go with figured i would rake this winter don't no how far to do that . then do some serous inquiring into what kit to by for this bike . road a motor trike awhile back it was awful :roll: thank you for your time it is appreciated

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: what trike kit to choose ????

Postby trike lady » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Have to test ridden a Roadsmith long wheelbase independent suspension trike? You get a better ride from independent suspension. JMHO
You convert the bike first and then select either a 4.5 or 6.0 depending upon how you want the steering to feel.
:mrgreen:
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:09 pm

The operator/technician to undertake the conversion is probably just as important as the kit. You will have to shop around, and try as many as you can. They are a bit like underpants, everyone gets benefits, but some seem to fit better than others.

I have heard bad things about some of the brands, and some seem difficult to deal with, (after-sales); some use propreitary parts, while others use common parts. I would be looking to have the additional fuel tank extra, if I was taking up this arrangement.

The more you look, the more you will find that you like or dont like. I will be very interested in your outcome, so keep us posted.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:20 am

Let's start with "It was awful" What does awful mean for the Motor Trike ride?
Now, if you want "smooth" a kit that extends the wheel base and includes IRS is the way to go. One of the best for a 1500 is the Hannigan!
Rake for the short wheel base models should be 4.5deg. For the extended wheel base models, 6deg rake works well.
Don't know where the name "Rake Kit" started as it should actually be called a Trail Kit as that is what is chenged! To change the rake, one must change the angle of the steerting head portion of the frame!

honda1982

Postby honda1982 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm

awful meaning the thing road an drove like a tank the trike kit felt squirrely i could feel the passenger bouncing side to side was not comfortable at all to me. it wasn't raked witch that part didn't bother me to much .at this point in life the ride is more important .
ok so the next question is what is the maintenance on like a trike ? what is IRS ? not trying to sound uninformed but better to ask a bunch of questions . extra fuel tank was something i hadn't addressed but is there different capacity tanks ? so rather than change the triple tree it would be best to change the head of the frame ? next weekend i will be taking a ride to a popular cycle shop that dose a lot of conversions.any particular questions i should be asking ? an thx for your input.

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:45 pm

honda1982 wrote:awful meaning the thing road an drove like a tank the trike kit felt squirrely i could feel the passenger bouncing side to side was not comfortable at all to me. it wasn't raked witch that part didn't bother me to much .at this point in life the ride is more important .
ok so the next question is what is the maintenance on like a trike ?
That depends on the conversion! One of the reasons I picked the Hannigan was the simplicity of it's design, therefore low maintenance.
what is IRS ?
Independent Rear Suspension
not trying to sound uninformed but better to ask a bunch of questions .
extra fuel tank was something i hadn't addressed but is there different capacity tanks ?
I can run 200+ on the gas held in the OEM Wing tank! I am well ready for a "get off" before 200 miles therefore I had no need to spend the $$$$ for an aux. fuel tank
so rather than change the triple tree it would be best to change the head of the frame ?
No, I did not meant to confuse you. The rake kits are a simpler solution to improve the ease of steering a trike.
next weekend i will be taking a ride to a popular cycle shop that dose a lot of conversions.any particular questions i should be asking ? an thx for your input.

Tell them you want to really test ride, on various road conditions. A ride around a parking lot is worthless!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Hannigan makes a really nice kit, but I believe the most expensive of the lot. Plus 1 for Roadsmith from the rides I have taken. CSC, if they have fixed their driveshaft problems was a less expensive conversion.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm

The best kit is the one you feel comfortable with. Everyone will tell you whats good for you but the one you and the Missus feel good with is the one for you. Unfortunately trying to get a test ride on a 1500 is tough these days. But in September in Iowa is a rally called the Davis Rally. The rally is heavily trike oriented from what Ive heard. This would be your best shot at getting the most info on 1500 trikes and between owners and manufacturers you should be able to find out all you need to.

http://davismotorcyclerally.com/

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:46 am

themainviking wrote:Hannigan makes a really nice kit, but I believe the most expensive of the lot. Plus 1 for Roadsmith from the rides I have taken. CSC, if they have fixed their driveshaft problems was a less expensive conversion.

Hannigan: Base Price: $7595
CSC: Base Price: $7295
Only $300 more for, IMHO, a much nicer, more reliable conversion!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Have a look at the order form for the Roadsmith.
http://trikeshop.com/media/docs/ht1500- ... y-copy.pdf
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

honda1982

Postby honda1982 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 am

themainviking wrote:Hannigan makes a really nice kit, but I believe the most expensive of the lot. Plus 1 for Roadsmith from the rides I have taken. CSC, if they have fixed their driveshaft problems was a less expensive conversion.

what was there driveshaft problem. i have time so im looking to do alot of research before i make a decision just want to collect as much information as i can thx

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:00 pm

honda1982 wrote:

what was there driveshaft problem. i have time so im looking to do alot of research before i make a decision just want to collect as much information as i can thx

You can read all about the driveshaft problem here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13185

honda1982

Postby honda1982 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 pm

ghostman the rally sounds like a good place to check out but after getting trampled in a crowd hence the bum leg. i tend to stay away from such events thank you for the imput.

honda1982

Postby honda1982 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:28 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
honda1982 wrote:

You can read all about the driveshaft problem here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13185

after veiwing the topic i think id just go find me a good drive line shop an speak to them about the problem had a few made my self an they turned out well thx

honda1982

Postby honda1982 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:38 pm

FINAL DESION WAS A 90 GL1500 W A HANNIGAN TRIKE been setting a few years price was cheaper than puttin a kit on mine tires cables belts still was under 9k now to work out the bugs cruise dosent work they cheated an used a throttle lock something to do this inter thxs all

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 am

honda1982 wrote:ghostman the rally sounds like a good place to check out but after getting trampled in a crowd hence the bum leg. i tend to stay away from such events thank you for the imput.

You will not get trampled in the crowd. This isn't Daytona or Sturgis. I live in New Hampton. No trampling allowed!!!!

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:46 am

Everyone who rides one will tell you theirs is the best. But considering the sheckles youre going to put out to purchase a new or in some cases a used one slinging a leg over is best. No 2 trikes ride the same and whats best for me is not necessarily great for you. This Rally is people friendly nothing like an HD style Rally and youll find a lot of great people and trike installers here. No one can pick a trike as being best for you. If you ride double take your partner and spend sometime and youll be pleasantly surprised. If you dont go to the Rally I suggest you find some trike dealers that do demos and visit different brands. I dont know how close you are to Litchfield Illinois but theres a dealer called Niehaus that has new and used and carrys several different brands. Even if its a few hundred miles its worth the trip . With a trike you always want a reputable install and installation is the key to no headaches to owning a trike. Niehaus has this reputation. Do your homework and youll have miles of smiles and a troublefree ride.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Some things to do and where to eat while at the Davis Rally.
Smallest Church at Festina, Dunning Springs and Ice Cave at Decorah, Bradford museum and Little Brown Church at Nashua.
Eat at Klunders, McDonalds, Newly opened Mexican restaurant Poor Richards, Big Ed's Firehouse all in New Hampton. Hole in the Wall in Lawler, Schucky's in Alta Vista and the White House in St Lucas.
Mainly, just meet new people, talks bikes, check out the vendors and have a good time. This is a laid back, peaceful, family rally.
And, be sure to stick around to ride in or watch the Light Parade on Saturday night.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”