CB Radio Use

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wingone01
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE GL1500

CB Radio Use

Postby wingone01 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

OK, dumb question. :oops: Never had a bike with an intercom system or CB. Do you have to plug (something) into the intercom wiring to use the CB radio or is there an external jack for a microphone perhaps?
I bought the bike used and there are a couple of holes near the front left speaker that may have been for a microphone holder but I am not sure, just guessing.

I am using the Sena 20S bluetooth system for talking with my passenger,listening to music or maybe one of these days, springing for a Zumo that is also supposed to pair with the 20S.

Is it possible to connect a Sena SR10 to the current CB to obtain bluetooth capability?

Thx

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: CB Radio Use

Postby tfdeputydawg » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:29 am

1. Dumb comment but, are you sure your bike has a CB?
2. Then, if knowing it does, you can listen to the CB either through the bikes speaker system or through headsets that are plugged into the bikes rider and passenger headset connectors. To transmit you must either use a hand mic or your headset w/mic plugged into the bike.
As for using the CB w/bluetooth, go here:
http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3898.html
Sena has also released a "system" for this, I believe.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 pm

wingone01 wrote:OK, dumb question. :oops: Never had a bike with an intercom system or CB. Do you have to plug (something) into the intercom wiring to use the CB radio or is there an external jack for a microphone perhaps?
I bought the bike used and there are a couple of holes near the front left speaker that may have been for a microphone holder but I am not sure, just guessing.

I am using the Sena 20S bluetooth system for talking with my passenger,listening to music or maybe one of these days, springing for a Zumo that is also supposed to pair with the 20S.

Is it possible to connect a Sena SR10 to the current CB to obtain bluetooth capability?

Thx

Normally, the CB works using the microphone in your wired headset. You can also use it without a headset, by routing the CB to the speakers and using a handheld mic like this:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/cb_hand ... 129/136674

With your bluetooth headset, it can pick up the audio, but as far as I know there is no existing bluetooth headset that will integrate with the microphone circuit of the CB. Your only choice then is to use a handheld mic like the one above.

wingone01

Postby wingone01 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you tfdeputydawg
Yep, it does have a CB. It is an SE model 1995 vintage I bought used in Ellettsville. At one time I was thinking of replacing it (that was another post) but response from other rides convinced me to keep it. Since I have gone wireless with my helmet mikes, music and gps, was looking to add the CB if possible. Sena does make a radio bluetooth (SR10) device but it currently only accepts certain radio models. Not sure if this would interface with the CB though. Still researching.

BTW picked up a MC1000 lift yesterday at Greg Smith Equipment (5800 Massachusetts, off Emerson) if you are ever in the market. Reasonably priced too I think.

Regards

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:45 am

wingone01 wrote:Thank you tfdeputydawg
Yep, it does have a CB. It is an SE model 1995 vintage I bought used in Ellettsville. At one time I was thinking of replacing it (that was another post) but response from other rides convinced me to keep it. Since I have gone wireless with my helmet mikes, music and gps, was looking to add the CB if possible. Sena does make a radio bluetooth (SR10) device but it currently only accepts certain radio models. Not sure if this would interface with the CB though. Still researching.

As I mentioned, there is currently no bluetooth headset that can be made to work with the CB - you can receive, but not transmit.

wingone01

CB Radio Use

Postby wingone01 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks Again WA,
I have resigned myself to having to use the CB with a separate hand mike to transmit and will have to settle on just receiving through the helmet. (Working on best way to do this wirelessly) I am also looking at the handset you recommended in the earlier post.

BTW, I just completed the modification to our Nolan 104 helmets to mechanically mount the Sena 20S rather than have to use the sticky pads. It works great so far. I believe the biggest issue is some software bugs Sena will have to work out.

Regards

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:10 am

If you have a GW with a CB, and you want to talk on it with a BT wireless headset, then keep reading.

A harness is now available that allows you to connect a BT transceiver to your GW's audio system. You can have an intercom conversation with your GW, which means you can hear everything the GW's audio system can send, such as AM, FM, CD, Aux, Wx, Nav, and CB. Plus, you can talk on the CB in the same manner as riders with wired headsets do.

Sierra Electronics (SE) is the producer and retailer. For more info on how it works go to SE's home page and click on the "Sierra/Sena Goldwing Blue Tooth Harness" link.

Please be aware that the harness's only compromise is that the Blue Tooth Intercom Profile can handle only mono music, not stereo. Not a problem if your music comes from a device paired to the headset unit. For stereo from the bike, many GW riders plug the harness's second audio cable into a Sena SM10. They toggle to intercom to talk on the CB, then back to the SM10 for stereo music (can still hear the CB).

If you've held off from going wireless because you can't talk on the CB, then please reconsider because now you can.

wingone01

CB Radio Use

Postby wingone01 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Dawg,
I will definitely check this out. The wife and I rode to Bloomington today to give our helmets with the Sena 20S a try. I finished installing the headsets yesterday. They seemed to work great. I was able to answer calls, listen to music and oh yeah...hear my wife talking too. :-)

Regards

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am

We enjoy our Sena SMH10 units also. I haven't had a need for my CB yet in the 3 years we've owned our Wing....

wingone01

CB Radio Use

Postby wingone01 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:31 pm

After the post from Dawg, I did some more research. The unit he recommended as designed specifically for the GW1800 but...I contacted Sierra Electronics and they advised they could custom (non-returnable) make a harness to work with the GW1500 CB for the same $$. From what I have read, do make all this work, you do need and additional Sena unit that is semi-permanently attached (plugged) into the bike audio system (therefore the custom harness). This unit then becomes the interface between the bike audio and the helmet bluetooth systems. Looks good on paper, interested in how well it "really" works.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm

wingone01 wrote:After the post from Dawg, I did some more research. The unit he recommended as designed specifically for the GW1800 but...I contacted Sierra Electronics and they advised they could custom (non-returnable) make a harness to work with the GW1500 CB for the same $$. From what I have read, do make all this work, you do need and additional Sena unit that is semi-permanently attached (plugged) into the bike audio system (therefore the custom harness). This unit then becomes the interface between the bike audio and the helmet bluetooth systems. Looks good on paper, interested in how well it "really" works.

That makes more sense. I designed (on paper, never built a prototype) that worked pretty much the same way.

wingone01

Postby wingone01 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Since the 20S will communicate with the SMH10, I may try to find a good "used" SMH10; go with the Sierra custom harness and see how this works. If it doesn't, I just found one more way that won't work.... :lol:

Regards

Return to “Goldwing Chat”