Wheres my carbs!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
burgerdude
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 GL1100i

Wheres my carbs!

Postby burgerdude » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi,
You may think this is all about trolling and I assure you it is not. I had an incident that broke my left head timing gear and belt and valve cover which made my Goldwing not drivable and needed to be taken to a shop for an estimate. While at the shop the owner assured me to take my time picking the Goldwing up. It was there for an estimate only. When I went over to pick up the bike and have it towed home, I noticed the carbs did not shine like they used to, the top on them had gotten black and spattered with white stuff. Oh and the chrome detail was missing. The Right side plug wires were too short, routed in front of the carb. A few days later I showed up for the chrome detail portion of the carbs, the screws were gone so a shop hand gave me new screws. Zip tied to the chrome detail portions of the carbs was some portion of the carb that has two screws two ports and a hose connection. Recently I had the parts and the time to put the bike back together, while doing so I found the choke was not connected in any way, The breather and drain lines were disconnected from the air filter canister. the fuel line coming from the fuel pump was missing, one of the push pull cables was not fastened to the carb at all. Last but not least the fuel lines that lead from the bowl to the manifold were blue instead of black. I looked at the pictures that I took for the insurance company and sure enough the tops of the carbs used to shine day or night. When I picked the bike up I asked the owner of the shop if he had swapped carburators on me, twice he denied it. Now I am going to bring the carbs back to him and ask a third time.
I am wondering what course of action I might take to satisfy my loss of working carbs on a vintage bike. Or what recourse I have to get my bike working again after the SOB lies to me again.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wheres my carbs!

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:54 pm

burgerdude wrote:Hi,
You may think this is all about trolling and I assure you it is not. I had an incident that broke my left head timing gear and belt and valve cover which made my Goldwing not drivable and needed to be taken to a shop for an estimate. While at the shop the owner assured me to take my time picking the Goldwing up. It was there for an estimate only. When I went over to pick up the bike and have it towed home, I noticed the carbs did not shine like they used to, the top on them had gotten black and spattered with white stuff. Oh and the chrome detail was missing. The Right side plug wires were too short, routed in front of the carb. A few days later I showed up for the chrome detail portion of the carbs, the screws were gone so a shop hand gave me new screws. Zip tied to the chrome detail portions of the carbs was some portion of the carb that has two screws two ports and a hose connection. Recently I had the parts and the time to put the bike back together, while doing so I found the choke was not connected in any way, The breather and drain lines were disconnected from the air filter canister. the fuel line coming from the fuel pump was missing, one of the push pull cables was not fastened to the carb at all. Last but not least the fuel lines that lead from the bowl to the manifold were blue instead of black. I looked at the pictures that I took for the insurance company and sure enough the tops of the carbs used to shine day or night. When I picked the bike up I asked the owner of the shop if he had swapped carburators on me, twice he denied it. Now I am going to bring the carbs back to him and ask a third time.
I am wondering what course of action I might take to satisfy my loss of working carbs on a vintage bike. Or what recourse I have to get my bike working again after the SOB lies to me again.

I wouldn't even bother going back to the shop. Go to the police. Explain what you just wrote here, show them the picture(s) of the old carbs, show them a picture of the carbs that are on there now, tell him you want to press charges for theft.

Once the police contact the slimeball shop owner, he may suddenly remember that he did in fact "mistakenly" install the wrong carbs on your bike.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:14 am

Yup.im sure that if you look on the web,a pristine set of carbs for your bike exceed the $500 price.
That alone puts it in the felony theft range.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:30 am

Wow! Don't let him get away with this. Go after him with the police as suggested. File a complaint with the BBB, local TV consumer protection or local newspaper. You have pics so you have proof of the "before" condition of the bike. This time don't ask him anything. Tell him that you aren't going away until he returns your original carbs. He is a thief. The scum of the earth.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:52 am

Theres a dealer on E-Bay that can restore your current carbs to what you describe what yours used to be for the low low price of $679....(oldschoolcarbs)
It's your labor to remove,ship,reinstall..etc.etc...

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

Man, sounds like this dude thought he could hoodwink you. Good old fashioned choke hold( no phun intended) would be my choice. Not an intelligent choice, but u might have your carbs back after he shouted , "uncle!!" A few times.
I just had my carbs redone with mike Nixon , for a mere $500. Should be here per fedex anytime, and I'm 100% sure no hoodwinking involved!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm

It's too bad that you had to run into a slime ball like that just because you are trying to get your bike running. Sometimes these slime balls seem to crawl out of the wood work. Once you find a good tech make sure you send them lots of work. Ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

burgerdude
1983 GL1100i

Postby burgerdude » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 am

I have called the local police and they tell me this is a civil matter, So another words they want to stay out of it.
I stopped by that shop yesterday to find the owner gone. I called my insurance company and they asked that I talk to the owner directly.
Today I am headed there before hours to try to catch him. I am told he gets there before 9 and leaves about 9 am.... the shop does not open until 10 am.
Something is fishy about that. If he denies it again I will have to file another claim with my insurance company.
I have several pictures of the bike that show the carbs shine day or night these new ones are gray and weathered.
Somehow this will be resolved.I have been doing my own work on the bike until the incident.
This reinforces my belief that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

burgerdude
1983 GL1100i

Postby burgerdude » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:02 am

So after 2 weeks of showing up early to the shop to meet the 1/2 owner I asked him to call and got no response, I spoke to the other owner, he seems to think that if he polishes the junk carbs he gave me and goes thru the carbs it will satisfy me. I have yet to be satisfied, I was promised a turn around of one week, this is the beginning of the third week. Still no carbs. I can see that they polished the vacuum piston canisters, they tell me they are replacing the jets and that is what is holding things up. In the mean time I have discussed the situation with the other owner who then got irate. He had the balls to ask me if I was done talking to him because I was costing him money for the time I was spending talking to him. I was also asked to leave the back of the shop, as only friends and employees are allowed back there. I am hoping to get a working set of carbs back. When I think back the carbs they are reconditioning do not look the same as my original carbs. It is probably in my best interest to try to work this out as best as I can.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:14 am

Might be time to visit the small claims court. No lawyers (not in our jurisdiction), so it is him against you, with a referee in the middle. Take your photos of before and after, and only state the facts. If you are not sure of the process, talk to the Court's registrar or clerk, and ask him/her how to go about it. You should be able to put in for a new set or carbs, and have a judgement go against him, which may affect his future credit ratings. Make sure you name the corporation as well as the individuals so that they cannot hide too well.

I wish you good luck, but do keep us informed of your progress.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:57 am

People who do things like that are the lowest of the low. Unreal to be reading this... they obviously know what they've done and are acting all butt-hurt to cover their tracks. The "Owners" may not know who did what and when they did it, but someone there knows exactly what was done and they should give you your original set of carbs back.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 am

Go around the police and talk to someone in the the district attorney's office. Sometimes the police just don't want to be bothered with a small-time (to them) cases of petty theft, but you should have no trouble proving it's grand theft with the price of replacement OEM carbs. They probably have previous complaints on this shop and would enjoy busting them. (Look for an attorney in the DA's office that rides and you'll have a motivated advocate in your corner).

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 am

Good point about talking to the DA's office directly. I am surprised you local cops don't even want to check it out. Try talking to the State Police or the county Sheriff's office too....... You know how cops are, if they can't make money at it, they don't want to be bothered..........
Bill

burgerdude
1983 GL1100i

Postby burgerdude » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:36 am

So as recently as last week I picked up the carbs that the shop owners tell me are just as good as my original carbs. They seem to have polished the vacuum piston covers and tey tell me they went through the carbs. They took three weeks because they did not have what they called a #35 jet. I was told they would locate one and I could install my carbs back on the bike and they would call me as soon as they got a hold of an #35 jet. I see no reason to put the carbs back on until All the parts are completely installed and in running order. I had asked if any other jets needed to be replaced, the owner said no. I am getting the feeling that there were no new parts installed in this carb since it was dropped off. Now I have the feeling that 4 rebuild kits are in order and I should go through the carbs myself. I am more than angry about this situation but being angry is not going to make anything better. There are some good video's on rebuilding carbs on youtube. For sure this has been a learning experience. I hope that others will read this thread and beware of dishonest shop owners. Also take pictures of what you have before it goes to the shop so there is proof that what you have stays on the bike. After a while I will take this to court, I think it is the right thing to do.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:09 am

I have called the local police and they tell me this is a civil matter, So another words they want to stay out of it.

Try taking a set of carbs out of a police patrol car in the hope that they regard it as a civil matter!
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 am

Another thing you need to consider is that each year of the 4 cylinder wings carbs are model specific and are numbered for that year. Any other year carbs will not run as well as the correct year numbered set. Not sure what year Wing we are speaking of. You might want to research this and insist that they provide the correct numbered set. I feel for you.

Just me. I would not consider anything other than getting my original set back. Period......What SOBs!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 am

burgerdude wrote:So as recently as last week I picked up the carbs that the shop owners tell me are just as good as my original carbs.

So they're now admitting that they stole your original carbs?

burgerdude
1983 GL1100i

Postby burgerdude » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 am

I have checked the numbers on the carbs and found 764A stamped on the carb outlets. This makes them 1977 carbs which will work with my particular bike. The carbs they gave me after the estimate had this shops signature fuel line leading from the manifold to each carb. They use a light blue clear PVC fuel lines on their repairs. I know this because they sold me another bike while mine was in the shop for the estimate. The bike they sold me had this blue PVC tubing for its fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump and back to the carb. The original carbs in this bike had black tubing in these spots. I realize I will never see my original carbs again and to be proactive in this situation, I have done what I can with these carbs. I have waited a few days for four tune-up kits. Today I tore into the carbs replacing jets and float valve and needle valves and gaskets. I am really finding it hard to believe that this shop owner guy "went through the carbs" yet did not replace a gasket, o-ring or jet or anything. The worst sin of all I have found is they replaced the screws on the float bowls and since they were too long they stripped the screw holes, at least 6 out of 16 screws are stripped and will need to be remedied. At this point I am sure I do not want to speak to or argue with these idiots ever again. Once I am back in town I will be filing a law suit. I don't think it is possible to remount these carbs on the bike and feel good about having the fuel bowls leak. This is a very dangerous situation in my eyes as fuel could have ignited while I was on the highway or elsewhere and caused an accident or death. This is total irresponsibility on the part of the shop and shop owners .

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I think, beyond you getting your satisfaction, this shops name should be lit up all over 50 states, in large letters, STAY AWAY FROM THIS CROOK. I certainly hope you get it straightened out. Then let him know that you are going to give him LOTS of free advertising!
Proud member Patriot Guard

burgerdude
1983 GL1100i

Postby burgerdude » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm

So if I were to go thru litigation, what kind of price can I put on a set of original 1978 GL1000 carbs? Do I ask for pain and suffering? do I get paid for frustration and not being able to get my bike repaired because of their improprieties? Just wondering where I could get a price. Ebay has some but they all look like they were at the bottom of a lake. Mine were clean did not leak and ran well.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:19 pm

burgerdude wrote:So if I were to go thru litigation, what kind of price can I put on a set of original 1978 GL1000 carbs? Do I ask for pain and suffering? do I get paid for frustration and not being able to get my bike repaired because of their improprieties? Just wondering where I could get a price. Ebay has some but they all look like they were at the bottom of a lake. Mine were clean did not leak and ran well.

A set of carbs, plus a reputable rebuild, after you've returned the carbs they gave you.

"Pain and suffering"? What injuries did you receive?
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

burgerdude
1983 GL1100i

Postby burgerdude » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:42 pm

OK well there were no injuries per say from them swiping my original carbs. So a reputable rebuild ranges from $200 to $700? Plus the price of carbs, do I have this right? The other possibility is having the carbs they gave me get repaired for stripped screw holes One broken float post and a missing plenum gasket. What has me stumped is my search for pristine carbs 746a led to no such item today when I searched.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 pm

You will need documentation for the items that you are claiming. See if you can get hold of a GL1000 price book for the origingal carbs, plus any gaskets, jets, etc. You might try a carb rebuilder, or your local Honda dealer, as they may have some documentation.

Unless you have some documentation that because of the missing ccarbs, you had to go to hospital. Dont worry about 'pain and suffering'. But your legal system is a bit different from ours. Then you will need to have documentation, (photos?), of the bad screws and such, so document everything. There is never too much!

I hope that everything works out well for you, and you get a judgement against those crooks.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”