I give her a kiss and she repays me with a smoke??

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

I give her a kiss and she repays me with a smoke??

Postby made2care » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 am

For those of you following the sleeping beauty saga, yesterday was an exciting day for both of us. After hrs of work, new tires, new battery, rebuilt forks, oil change, new liner in fuel tank, new seat, and the most important- rebuilt carbs , she received her long awaited kiss and awakened after 7 tries.
Today I am placing the rest of her clothes on her and decided to fire hr up. Wow!!! Smoke everywhere!!! Warmed her up, shut her down, restarted and alas, no smoke.
Any explanations??

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: I give her a kiss and she repays me with a smoke??

Postby redial » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 am

Obviously you did not have a loud enough fanfare waiting for her when she woke up, so she had to make her grand entrance!

It is probably just some of the oil from your lubricating the bits that you put back in, and usually when they do things to the carbs they sometimes give them a light coating of oil. It doesnt take much oil to create a screen, but the good news is that it has gone on the 2nd startup. Get those brakes eased up, and you can enjoy the rest of summer.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm

Living in Louisiana,I often leave my wing on the side stand for a few days....
Just so I can fog out the mosquetoes when I'm warming up the bike and getting my gear on.
Cheaper than Deet. :lol:

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Depending on the posture of her rest, being sidestand or centerstand for long periods there can be an amazing difference on a "restart." Virgilmobile accurately states that a Goldwing on the sidestand (at least MY GL1200 Goldwing does) for a while can often lead to a fair amount of oil smoke beltched out of the exhaust on start. I'm told the crankcase oil can seep into the interior of the left side cylinders, and the oil coating is burned up when the engine initially runs.

I bought mine and was a little shocked to see the plume of bluish white oil smoke out of the pipes the first few times I rode it. After checking into the issue, I was satisfied that the oil was in fact getting into the cylinders and being burned as the engine warmed up... Using the center stand completely eliminated the smoke... so has riding the bike. I don't know if the rings had some buildup on them that allowed this to happen, but the more miles I put on it, the less I see smoke on startup even after a day or two on the sidestand...

I have also read many accounts of where an Oldwing had been salvaged after a long time in someone's barn or garage, and on the first start there was a LOT of smoke coming from places we don't normally expect to see smoke coming from... and that the smoke eventually quits in most cases, the more time the engine runs... so, as long as the source of the smoke isn't coolant, I'd warm her up thoroughly, make sure the oil level is correct, and take her for an easy ride around the block, watching the temp gauge for any sign of overheating... and if everything is okay, put a few hundred miles on her, drain the oil... change the filter and go for a longer and more spirited ride.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

redial

Postby redial » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:56 pm

The best way to 'warm up' any engine is to start it, get it to running smoothly, then put it to work. I do not believe that there is any advantage, and probably a number of disadvantages, for letting it idle (or having the choke on to increase the RPM), for long periods. By the time you get to the highest gear, your choke should be off.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

redial

Postby redial » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Mind you, I could be talking through my hat, as we dont get the extremes of cold that some of you northerners have to put up with. You dont want to stall, but you also dont want to coke up the engine.
Len in Kapunda

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 pm

I normally start mine, put on my helmet, gloves and glasses, zip up my jacket and climb on and head down the road... total idle time is probably two minutes tops... unless it does happen to be cold out, then I will let the engine warm up a minute or two more.

My motorcycle hasn't been "dormant" however. If it was the first or second start after a long "SLEEP" I'd let it idle longer (probably with some fuel additive in the gas) to give me a chance to hear it run and get a feel for how it is running. Maybe 5 minutes... short run, shut it down and do a leak check... if it ran well, a longer ride after fluid level checks...

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”