Audiophile question

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Audiophile question

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:24 am

Over the last couple years I have been toying with getting helmet audio gear but have not done so because the wing I owned had a screwed up intercom and radio setup - didn't work through the headset cable. I just stepped up to a 2012 wing with all the gadgets and now I really want to have the stuff to go in the helmet. I am looking for feedback on sound quality from the helmet speakers. I am a diehard music guy that enjoys music of all kinds and I don't want to spend hundreds on a helmet system that sounds like trash. My fix on the older wing was skullcandy earbuds but that doesn't integrate into the bike system real well. I took a mid grade over the ear headphone set apart and put that in my helmet and that was nice but again, doesn't integrate. Any suggestions? I know I am not the only one to enjoy music while I ride. The speaker system on the bike is awesome but I don't like entertaining everyone else on the road while I ride. It's just rude.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Audiophile question

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:03 am

If you ride in group rides, then you would like enhanced audio gear. Since I ride alone most of the time, I, like you did before, use a quality set of earbuds. They are the best possible sound quality I can get while riding the bike on the highway, as road noise is minimal. My earbuds are made by Klipsch, and I won them in a contest when I bought my home Polk speakers. They say they are a retail value of $350 but if anyone was to pay that much for a pair of earbuds, I would seriously doubt their sanity. They do, however have a good sound for something so small. When on group rides, I wear a helmet with the mike and earpiece installs, so I can also communicate, but believe me, the music quality suffers.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:25 am

Do you already have a helmet you like and intend to install the sound system into?

If so your best approach is either a set up from J&M or Edsets.

I would have gone with Edsets when I was shopping but couldn't get them into my Schuberth helmet. Ended up getting a Nolan set up and am happy with it. My ears aren't as good as they used to be and my wife is deaf in one ear. I hear music, I hear voices, it's all good.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:06 pm

themainviking wrote:If you ride in group rides, then you would like enhanced audio gear.... When on group rides, I wear a helmet with the mike and earpiece installs, so I can also communicate, but believe me, the music quality suffers.

Yeah, that was my concern. I don't do group rides and I don't do two up cuz my wife won't ride on the bike so... maybe I will just buy an adapter harness that converts to 1/8" stereo plug and continue with my earbud approach. I ran across on last night in my surfing. Danged if I remember where but that isn't a problem:-)

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:51 pm

ImageImage

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 pm

MainViking - Thanks for the link. I like the spoiled biker adapter as well. Think I will go that direction. The cost of headset systems far outweighs what I am trying to do.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:13 am

waituntilthebeep wrote:MainViking - Thanks for the link. I like the spoiled biker adapter as well. Think I will go that direction. The cost of headset systems far outweighs what I am trying to do.

I have one of the others with the bit of cord in between two receptacles for the passenger on my bike. It allows a bit more length to the complete corded setup. For myself, up front, though, I like the solid adapter.

ImageImage

carpetdude
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 aspencade

Postby carpetdude » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 am

I really like the idea of this plug....earbuds are a good idea, or maybe speakers. I'm also looking at the scala rider. Which is the whole set for bluetooth, can talk to whoever is close, use phone, bluetooth music. The only drawback I see is not alot of wingers have them. They seem to stay with the intercom and cb setup. tough decision.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 am

I mostly ride solo and it seems like investment for wired vs. bluetooth is about the same. I probably not use CB much if at all so I think I like to be connect phone, music and talk to passenger mostly and not have wires. Sound will not be as good as earbuds you speaking about. But I hear good things about Sena sound quality. They seem to be phase out SMH10 maybe? SMH20 is out and very nice so maybe I get deal on combo SMH10 pak. Good luck finding your setup.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:55 am

I bought the spoiled biker one piece adapter and it is great. The only annoying thing about it is not an adapter issue... there is enough white noise generated by the system that if you turn the volume down to 1 or 2, you hear the hiss. I turned the i-com and navi audio off so it is only the audio system but there is still minimal hiss. The adapter itself though is great. It also shows me how truly crappy the XM satellite radio audio is. Even if I liked the channel spectrum they have, I get way better audio from pandora on the low bandwidth seting.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”