Bad accident

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Bad accident

Postby smilam » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:52 pm

I found out this morning that a friend of mine was in a bad motorcycle accident yesterday afternoon. He is in intensive care with serious head injuries. They say the next 24 to 48 hours are critical as he is unconscious and has a lot of brain swelling.
John was going north bound on a rural hwy which has a 65 MPH speed limit. The 20 year old pickup truck driver was westbound on a cross road that had a stop sign. According to the news report John's motorcycle hit the rear of the pickup. John was thrown about 20 feet by the impact and was not wearing a helmet.
I am betting that the pickup driver will claim that he never saw him and pulled out in front of The motorcycle.
I always wear a helmet and have never said anything to anybody that chooses not to wear one. When a good friend suffers such serious injuries because of not wearing a helmet it makes you think about your personal position. I will never be one to preach to anybody about why they should wear a helmet but I might be inclined to suggest that they wear one now.
I don't know since I wasn't there, wether the accident could have been avoided if my friend had more experience or more recent motorcycle experience. John had purchased this HD Roadking within the last couple of weeks. He had never owned a motorcycle in the 20 plus years that I have known him but he would occasionally ride his sons motorcycle.
I would request that everybody do what ever you can to make your motorcycle more noticeable to the other drivers and to wear a helmet to protect your brains. I personally have a modulating headlight on my motorcycle and in the last three years have only had two cagers pull out in front of me. Neither one of them even turned their heads in my direction so there was no chance they would have seen me. I watch the other guy pretty close so I was prepared for them to pull out and I was maneuvering to avoid them when they did pull out in front of me. The woman who pulled out in front of me nearly dropped her phone when I pulled along side of her and hit my horn.
The motorcycle community and RC airplane community around here have John in our prayers and we would appreciate any other prayers that are offered.
Steve

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Bad accident

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:02 am

Riders who are injured as a result of the carelessness of others, whose injuries are worsened by the decision to ride without a helmet are very upsetting to me. I know it is an individual choice to wear or not to wear a helmet (in places that the legislature hasn't already made the decision for us). I made my choice the first time I rode, and will continue to wear a helmet for reasons of my own.

I will pray for your friend and I will hope he recovers fully. I'll also pray for the driver of the truck who it appears caused the wreck.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 am

Prayers sent for your friend John. No comment on the no helmet except that I always wear mine.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

moneypit
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby moneypit » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 am

My prayers to your friend. Hope he will be ok. Always ware a helmet.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 pm

My thoughts and prayer to his friends & family. I swore to my wife when I started riding again that I would always wear my helmet. I've kept that promise.
As an ICU & trauma nurse(now recently retired), I've seen many crashes. Most of these are split 50/50 MC & auto for fault. Too much alcohol on Fri & Sat night bike rides. The nurses I ride with are split as to whether or not one should bother with a helmet. Once you're over about 45 mph, the risk for paralysis, particularly in the upper spine increase. I've never met a nurse that wants to be on life support or paralyzed. I know the risks involved and my Dr and the local major medical center have my advance directives on file. I hope this never happens to anyone, but I accept the dangers and have made my wishes known. Please don't leave your family hanging. Let them know, in writing ahead of time.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 pm

I have been involved in a head on accident while on my GW and if I didn't have my safety equipment on, I would be sending this to you hopefully from the seat near the Lord, if I end up going to hell I don't think my tablet can handle the heat, besides, I don't know which charger to bring. I've done the same thing, pull up along side a woman who almost ran me off the road, she had her window open, when I screamed at her it scared the crap out of her. She deserved it, darn near killed me. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends, I hope that this rider mend soon. Ride safe, we have to watch for those idiots.
Proud member Patriot Guard

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 am

My thoughts and prayers for your friends recovery. I recently rode thru your state and was amazed at how many people were not wearing helmets. I certainly don't approve of states telling you that you MUST wear a helmet, but common sense and the fact I had an accident 40 years ago without a helmet tells me I will always wear one. I hope your friend gets better soon. Keep us posted.
Bill

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Postby smilam » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm

No change yet. He is still unconscious and has some brain swelling. Thanks for everybody's prayers and concern.
Steve

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 am

Very sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he pulls thru and makes a full recovery. Lots of bikers here dont wesr helmets psrticularly hd owners. Its a personal choice much like choosing to ride a motorcycle. When a close friend is involved in an accident its natural to reevaluate things. As for cagers they arent focused on the road and how they are driving.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Brain injuries are always very difficult - particularly because we still know so little about function and the healing process. Time is the biggest factor. Also, the brain needs to rest, as in NO TV, minimal stimulation - this means hands off, no touching primping, constantly readjusting, whispering & talking to the patient. ICUs are very difficult places, because they operate 24 hours a day with doctor visits, aides doing clean-ups, blood draws, x-rays, nursing interventions - the list continues. If the nurses hint to family & friends that he needs rest, they are really telling you to leave and allow his brain to rest. Rooming in would be the worst thing to do in a situation like this. The brain takes a long time to heal and it is rare that people "wake up" like in the movies. Function often returns slowly and in stages.
Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you & your friend and his family.
Harp

Return to “Goldwing Chat”