Not Being Seen

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Not Being Seen

Postby moneypit » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:42 am

I run a headlight modulator and the H4 bulb I run is a Piaa Super Plazma GTX in 6000k its as close to an HID as you can get .
Its like lookin into the sun . I had a car pull out in front of me so close I had to damn near lock up the brakes to prevent hitting him .
We both pulled into a gas station went inside he didn't say anything to me so I ask him why he did what he did his answer, I didn't see you .
Can you believe It.... Ride Safe.

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Not Being Seen

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:36 am

I find it hard to believe that "we" are so hard to see.

I've been driving for longer than I care to admit, and can honestly say that I have pulled out in front of exactly ONE vehicle that I never saw coming. Fortunately for both of us, it was in an access road around a shopping mall, where the speed limit was 20 mph, and my mistake did not cause a collision.

I'd like to be able to say that "drivers these days" aren't as good as when I was younger... but I don't believe the quality of the drivers on the road necessarily has anything to do with the number of times that someone pulls out in front of someone else and then uses the excuse that "I never saw them." Rather than assign the cause of the incident to bad drivers, I'd be more inclined to assign responsibility to the driver being more distracted than not seeing those they pull out in front of. GPS, Cell Phones, and various other distracting devices (Police have full screen laptop(s) in front of them these days) provide enough distraction that it is probably a miracle that more of these distracted driving collisions aren't happening. I see motorcycles crushed beyond recognition on the news more and more frequently these days. I don't know if that means the news coverage is more focused or if there are more riders being hit, but it is increasingly disturbing to me.

Adding to the distracted driving, is the ever increasing popularity of motorcycling as a hobby. You know, the middle aged crazy guy who has to have a large cruiser to keep up with his neighbors, and who probably rides fewer hours in a year than most of us old farts ride in a week. When you put inexperience in the saddle along side of distracted drivers it has to be a recipe for disaster. Toss in riders without helmets, and it is the perfect storm for death or at least traumatic brain injury. We all have to start riding somewhere. I was pretty shaky when I started, and sometimes even today I feel like my skill level isn't quite where it needs to be. I was/am fortunate that early on, I decided that I would ride as though every other vehicle on the road is out to kill me, and it has served me well. I TRY not to take anything for granted. You know, that the guy approaching that stop sign will actually stop? or that traffic approaching from my right or left at an intersection will actually stop for the RED light they have? or that the doors on parked cars might swing open wildly as I ride past? I could go on, but those of you reading know what I mean. I don't see the way I ride as fearful. I see it as self-preservation. Don't assume the other guy sees you. Don't assume their skill level behind the wheel provides them with the ability to properly judge your distance and approaching speed. Don't assume they CARE if they wreck you or not. After all, in most states, if you run into the REAR end of another vehicle, they'll ticket YOU for failure to maintain control of your bike... not the arse-hole (pardon my language) who pulls out in front of you causing you to run into his rear end in the first place.

I bought one of the head light oscillating controls and a brake light blinking thingy a while ago. I haven't installed either of them (yet) and I'm not sure if I'm going to ride the 1200 long enough (have visions of a Valkyrie dancing in my head) to warrant the installation of them on this bike. I get the impression that I could put lights and a siren on the bike and there will still be a precious few who won't be able to see me... maybe if I set the bike on fire while I ride that would help?

I'm going to put the soap box away for a while. I would ask that everyone continue to ride carefully, and return home safely to those who love you. I love to read stories of all manner of riding adventures, except the ones that include pain, suffering, injury or death of one or more of the riders... be safe out there!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:46 pm

I agree Hawkeye, and if there were enough political push I could see those two items becoming standard equipment on motorcycles. They did it for cars, bikes will be next. And actually it's not a bad idea.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I do have HIDs on my Wing along with a ton of other lights. When I asked the blind motorist WTF he also said "I didn't see you". I told him I was pumping enough wattage to blister the paint on his trunk and he should put the phone down when he drives! I got the usual sheepish look from him. You just have to drive for both you and the other guy when you are on a bike.

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 am

I have a philosophy that I practice and tell others to do as well. "Ride like you are invisible, because no one sees you"...... In other words you have to be a very defensive rider and look out for the other guy, because he/she isn't looking out for you. Another rule is never, never ride beside a vehicle on a dual lane or multilane road. You never know what they are going to do. Another good rule is to ride in the right or left lanes and not in the middle lanes. The outside lanes give you an escape route, the middle lanes don't.
Here in California there are more accidents for a couple of reasons; Lane splitting is definately #1 in my book; but there are many more bikes on the road; you see 10 Harley's and 40 crotch rockets for every Goldwing you see. Many people have never taken and safety course and many more don't have a motorcycle endorsement on their license since the cops just don't enforce it here. Just got back from a 750 mile ride this weekend without an incident. Ride Safe..........

Return to “Goldwing Chat”