Garmin Nuvi 52LM


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
seabeechief
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby seabeechief » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:46 pm



Anyone out there have any experience with a Garmin Nuvi 52LM GPS? I have been looking and trying to compare apples to apples until I am dizzy. Just comparing the bells and whistles will give you a headache. I cannot make myself spend $500-$800 for a Zumo. An inexpensive, reliable GPS is all I want. Thanks for you advice and counsel.

Chief


Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

User avatar
skier
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:57 am
Location: Coon Rapids MN
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby skier » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:45 pm

I use the Nuvi 40LM. Very similar to the 52LM, but a smaller screen. I wanted something simple, and it works great for what I need. I paid $55 for a factory reconditioned unit, and its been working flawlessly. I've done a firmware/map update and that went smoothly.

User avatar
seabeechief
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby seabeechief » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:45 pm

skier wrote:I use the Nuvi 40LM. Very similar to the 52LM, but a smaller screen. I wanted something simple, and it works great for what I need. I paid $55 for a factory reconditioned unit, and its been working flawlessly. I've done a firmware/map update and that went smoothly.


Good news, skier. I'm leaning toward the 52LM. It seems to have what I want without going broke. Thanks.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

bustedwing
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Hermansville, Mich
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike
Contact:

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 pm

The only thing that I had to do was make a visor over the top to stop the sun glare, and if you know that you are going to be in the rain then use a baggie to cover it up and still close it off as much as possible. I used an old mount for a TomTom and took out the GW emblem on the false gas tank and mounted it there. At first I was worried about loosing the machine, but the mount is very solid and if you want more security you could zip tie it in. But then when when you get off you would have to cover it up. I just un plug it and lock it in the trunk. The machines are great, but not perfect. I still carry a road atlas,
Proud member Patriot Guard

User avatar
seabeechief
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby seabeechief » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

bustedwing wrote:The only thing that I had to do was make a visor over the top to stop the sun glare, and if you know that you are going to be in the rain then use a baggie to cover it up and still close it off as much as possible. I used an old mount for a TomTom and took out the GW emblem on the false gas tank and mounted it there. At first I was worried about loosing the machine, but the mount is very solid and if you want more security you could zip tie it in. But then when when you get off you would have to cover it up. I just un plug it and lock it in the trunk. The machines are great, but not perfect. I still carry a road atlas,


How did you fabricate the "visor"? Thanks for the feed back.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

User avatar
bstig60
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:14 pm
Location: Nevada City, CA. Jupiter, FL.
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer
Contact:

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby bstig60 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 pm

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT which is a little upgrade from the 52LM. It works great and I like some of the features such as traffic, bluetooth interface with my helmet or smart phone and the fact I can work it with my gloves on. But it does need a sun shade, I would be interested in seeing how that was done myself. Price online at BestBuy was about $160 bucks which I considered reasonable. It works great..........
Bill

bustedwing
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Hermansville, Mich
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike
Contact:

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby bustedwing » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 am

I used a small piece of tin flashing that I had laying around. The only bad thing about it was sharp edges. I secured it on top with two sided tape. Then I seen another one made out of canvas, something like tent material but heavy duty. Then they used velcro to hold it on. I like that one, even if you coated the flashing with the canvas so the sharp edges would be padded. If you have a sewing shop in town it probably could be made fairly reasonable. Hope this helps. Ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

User avatar
seabeechief
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby seabeechief » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 am

bustedwing wrote:I used a small piece of tin flashing that I had laying around. The only bad thing about it was sharp edges. I secured it on top with two sided tape. Then I seen another one made out of canvas, something like tent material but heavy duty. Then they used velcro to hold it on. I like that one, even if you coated the flashing with the canvas so the sharp edges would be padded. If you have a sewing shop in town it probably could be made fairly reasonable. Hope this helps. Ride safe.


Thanks for the info. It sounds as if you leave your GPS on the bike all the time. I usually remove mine when I get off the bike and put it in my vest or in the trunk. Are all the Nuvi's susceptible to the glare? Are the Zumo's immune from the glare? As with most other projects, the more I research, the more research I need to do. I long for the good old days when riding a motorcycle wasn't so complicated. Oh, well! Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

bustedwing
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Hermansville, Mich
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike
Contact:

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby bustedwing » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:43 am

I have taken my helmet off and put it over the Garmin, but if it's overnight I take it off and put it in my pocket so it's ready when I start the next day. I can't answer your question about the two Garmins, hopefully someone else can help you with that on the website. Glad to help. Ride safe
Proud member Patriot Guard

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 am

seabeechief wrote:How did you fabricate the "visor"? Thanks for the feed back.

Chief


Have a look at Glare Stoper GPS shield

User avatar
curley
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby curley » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

some other "candidates" for GPS:
a) the Tom Tom Go 930...it has a music player ( SD card) and an external earphone jack in the design...if you have the "aux" mod for your radio/tape player (GL1500) or an aux input line (GL1800)...I have used this model for years and still use it on my adventure touring bike with earbuds.
b) the Garmin 2797...it has bigger screen and voice control...here is an article by an Iron Butt competitor and his review of the 2797 ( I may upgrade to this model for my adventure bike, using my cell phone as a music player):
http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

hope this helps

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Garmin Nuvi 52LM

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:04 pm

I also like the TomTom - I've got a Go 720 on my bike, that I've used for years. It also has an earphone plug on it. However it is several years out of production, so you will only find them used on eBay.




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests