Parking Stand Good Idea & Reverse Gear Is Great

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
HeyBerg1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 A
1986 Yamaha Virago VT 700 SOLD
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Parking Stand Good Idea & Reverse Gear Is Great

Postby HeyBerg1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Hello fellow forum readers. The parking stand I showed earlier under (Reverse gear damage? Good idea bad results) has definitely been a great idea for me. For those of you who have a hard time placing your wing on it's center stand for the purpose of checking oil, coolant levels and or parking it over the winter months and not having to place the wing on it's center stand is awesome in my opinion. I've enclosed more photos to show how it works. I know many of you may already have one of these stands but for those who haven't seen one or know of their existence or use it only for transporting their wing on a trailer, I hope this will help someone out there. If it weren't for the reverse gear I'd never get it out of this stand as I'm not strong or tall enough. My Harley friend set his up the same way as myself and he couldn't back his Harley out of the stand without help until he placed a 3/4" piece of plywood where the front tire sits in the stand and now he can back it out without help. I thought it might help my wing to back out easier, also, if I placed a 1/2" piece of plywood under my front tire but the results weren't good at all as the wing wanted to tip over after I was getting off of it. So I took the plywood out and everything is good again. I purchased the stand from Harbor Freight for $59.95 + tax. I used a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood I had sitting in my garage that was 2' x 7' 3" that I bolted to that piece of plywood using 6 - 1 1/4" x 3/8" bolts. The photos below will show how it looks and how the wing sits in the stand. It had to be long enough so rear tire would sit on the plywood and the weight of the wing would keep the stand from moving when backing out of the stand. I've enjoyed reading articles that you post in this forum and I'm grateful to WingAdmin for monitoring it. I greatly appreciate your feedback on the idea and I'm wondering if there are other forum members who are using the stand the same way. Thank you and ride safe.
Parking Stand
Parking Stand
Closer Look at it
Closer Look at it
Pulling up to the platform and stand
Pulling up to the platform and stand
Pulled into the stand
Pulled into the stand
Another view
Another view
No side/center stand
No side/center stand
Right side view
Right side view
Left side view
Left side view

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Parking Stand Good Idea & Reverse Gear Is Great

Postby bustedwing » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:24 pm

That looks good, would it be strong enough to mount in a trailer?
Proud member Patriot Guard

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Yes, it's works well for mounting on a trailer. My Harley friend does it all the time and he has a large Harley (not sure of the model) but the stand is bolted down to the trailer and he uses tie downs of course.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 pm

It looks like a nice way to park your bike. Only thing I see that may be a problem is the rear wheel/tire stop would not get along too well with a fender extender.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 pm

I too use the HF stand on my trailer for transporting my 1100, works great and holds the bike well for strapping down and when releasing the straps. Reverse would be nice for backing it out of the stand, but I have to rock it out.

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi MikeB, I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're saying. The rear wheel tire/stop? This deals with the front tire locking into the stand and has nothing to do with the rear wheel. The fender extender, is this mounted to the front tire? If so, I think you could have an extended fender that could be at least 3 to 4 inches in length and it wouldn't hurt the fender. If you look at the last photo the wheel holder looks like it has at least a 3-4 inch clearance which would allow somewhat of an extension. I can't take a photo of the tire in the position as the locking plate pivots forward or backward unless I can talk my wife into taking some photos while I'm driving into or backing out of the stand to show what that pivot clearance is. As soon as I can take a photo of this I'll post one.

Hi Wally, try placing a 1/2 or 3/4 inch piece of plywood in the place where the tire sits in the parking stand and it should help you get your 1100 out of the stand when you have to rock it out or at least try it that way but hang on to make sure it won't tip over. My friends Harley sits in the parking stand with the addition of the plywood and stays upright and he can back it out much easier than without the plywood, but my wing won't sit that way with the added plywood as it wants to tip over.

All I can say is, I sure enjoy parking my wing this way as it takes up less room in my garage compared to it siting on the side stand and I don't have to place it on the center stand every time I pull it into the garage.

I thank you both for your responses. Ride Safe!

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:28 pm

The rear portion of the front wheel/tire stop assembly. Many of us have front wheel fender extenders. That stop assembly may well contact and damage the fender extender. Sorry I was not more explicit before. The concern would be possible damage to the front fender extender which is there as a mud/rock guard to keep debris from being kicked up into the cowl and damaging it.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 pm

I understand what you're saying now but the extender must be rigid and not flexible, correct? Is the extender more than 3 inches? If not it may very well work. As soon as I can I'll take a measurement and post what the distance from the bottom of the front fender to the top of the wheel/tire stop at the angle that would make contact with a fender extender. Myself not knowing what length an extender is, you'd at least know what the distance from the original fender is. Can the extender be painted to match the color of the wing? I like the fact that an extender does protect the front cowling from debris. I'm fairly new to the forum and my wing as I've only had it for a year now and this is the first time I've heard of a fender extender.
It sure does make it easy to park, but without the reverse gear I wouldn't be able to back it out of the stand by myself. Thanks for your response. Ride Safe!

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 pm

The GL1500 rigid chrome ABS plastic fender extender is 3-3/4" long. There is 1-1/2 " space between the tire and the extender and it is 6-1/2" above the ground when the bike is parked and on the center stand.

I can't measure the extender for the GL1800 because it is in pieces at the moment. There re several styles but the Show Chrome is what I use.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Or you could use a 'mudflap'. A rubber one might save some of the hassles.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

rcdoc
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800

Postby rcdoc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm

it will clear up some extra room in the garage with it sitting upright. thank you for the posting with the photos.

pschilling
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800AD Gold Wing Airbag

Postby pschilling » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Going to get me one of those things from Harbor Freight……..looks like a great idea to keep the bike upright in my garage over the winter

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm

rcdoc wrote:it will clear up some extra room in the garage with it sitting upright. thank you for the posting with the photos.

You could always just put it up on the center stand to make it sit upright. That is the way I always park mine in the garage or parked in the parking lot at work.
The stand is a nice set up but it will inevitably be in the way when the bike is not on it in the garage. Moving it around may be a bit of a chore.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

pschilling

Postby pschilling » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:46 pm

na, i rent a garage that is more than 50 years old, with what the owner considers to be good asphalt bedding on the floor……i have to park on a checker plate, even with the side stand or the bike lies on its side in the morning………so, for me, it does not take up much room…….my other bikes on the other hand, well, that is a different story altogether…… ;)

Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Kactus59 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I have this same stand in my trailer. I don't have a garage and I put the bike every night back in the trailer. I just drive it right up and into the stand and get off. I tie it down when I tow the trailer of course. I have the front tire fender extender and the chrome /plastic rotor covers and I have had no problem with clearance. If I rock and yank and rock and yank I can sometimes get it out of the stand but it is just easier to put it in reverse and back on out. The only issue is that motorcycle tires are soft and pliable and with the weight of the bike my tire is wedged quite tight and the dent stays in the tire for a few minutes or so, a little longer in cold weather.

rcdoc

Postby rcdoc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:54 pm

be careful with leaving your bike on the center stand at work. if it gets nudge from the behind it can roll off the stand and land on its side. if you must leave it on the stand put it in reverse so it can't roll forward.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:07 pm

rcdoc wrote:be careful with leaving your bike on the center stand at work. if it gets nudge from the behind it can roll off the stand and land on its side. if you must leave it on the stand put it in reverse so it can't roll forward.

Putting it in reverse will not prevent it from rolling off the center stand, because the rear wheel is lifted off the ground. If you are that worried, carry a small bungee cord and wrap it around the front brake lever. That will lock the front wheel and keep it from turning - however, even on the center stand, only 70-80 lbs of force is on the front wheel, so it's not going to prevent it from rolling off if bumped by a car. I can force my front wheel to turn by hand if my bike is on the center stand.

If you really want to secure your bike from rolling off the stand, put it in reverse (or first gear) and leave it on the side stand.

rcdoc

Postby rcdoc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:22 pm

I must have had one too many beers. your right if it is on the center stand than putting it in any gear would do no good. I should read my replies before posting. :lol:

pschilling

Postby pschilling » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Just got home with the stand. Quality is not too bad, for the price, have to set the thing for my wheel and see how it works. It is actually larger and has a wider stance than I perceived it to be in the pictures.

rcdoc

Postby rcdoc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 pm

wing admin After posting I remember that my bike had a ride on/ride off center stand. That's why i used to put it in reverse when it was on the center stand. Alzheimer must be setting in.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 pm

I've always considered the ride ride-off center stand as a risky proposition. It is too easy to push the bike off its perch.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

rcdoc

Postby rcdoc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:06 pm

that's why they recommend putting the bike in reverse.

musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Would that stand fit Harbor Freights motorcycle lift, sure would be nice not having to use center stand on lift for minor work and repairs.

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Musinger, I looked at the HF lift and it looks like you could mount it on that stand if you modify the stabilizing bar by shortening it to fit the width of the lift. Drilling holes in the lift to securely bolt it down on the lift. I know it holds my wing securely when it's sitting on the ground but I'm not sure how it would do sitting up in the air on your lift as I know I can move the wing back and forth without it falling to one side or the other but it does move somewhat and with it up in the air it just might be too much movement to be really stable. Is the lift long enough for the rear wheel to sit on the end of the lift. How much movement of the wing are you doing with your minor repairs? With you placing your wing on the center stand you don't have to worry about the rear wheel sitting on the lift or how much you move it when you're working on it. How about it forum readers any other thoughts on this.

musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:17 pm

The wing is always strapped down when on the lift, and the rear wheel is on the lift completely even when on center stand. I will have to swing by HF and check holder out for width and placement. Thanks for you input.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”