Hot Weather Apparel

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
MaconWing
Motorcycle: '04 GL1800A Titanium

Hot Weather Apparel

Postby MaconWing » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:07 am

I've seen plenty of posts on heated gear but what about hot weather gear?

I've got a Joe Rocket mesh jacket I'm real happy with and I'm looking at adding a pair of mesh riding pants. I'm concentrating now on the Sliders All Season 2 and the Scorcher 2 pants. Both offers ballistic protection and decent ventilation from the reviews. Does anyone have personal experience with either (or both) of these pants? I live in Georgia and temps in the high 90s are not unusual. Many times unbearable to ride in the heat of the day. Now I've got a trip to Florida coming up in a few weeks and it would be nice to have a cool riding pant to wear on the trip.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hot Weather Apparel

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 am

I spent a year and a half of my life in Macon, so I know very well the kind of heat you experience in the summer!

My universal summer gear is a set of Olympia Airglide 3 mesh jacket and pants. I also have a set of armored mesh gloves. That, along with a windshield air vent (good), air wings (better) and hand wings (best) keep me cool in all but the hottest weather. When the temperature hits the high 80's, I go to my Polar Vest phase change cooling vest. I have worn this in temperatures well above 95, and it keeps me cool and comfortable.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm interested in this too, Here in Arizona it gets VERY hot and I don't really want to have to put on a cooling vest when I just want to run down to the store or short trip. It's ok when you are moving but when you stop you instantly start to sweat!! :oops:
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Can't give personal info, but I've been doing a fair bit of research.

Consensus from people who live in very hot places is, that mesh is not really that good as once it gets to temperatures near body heat then what happens is with the air flowing over you, it heats you up rather then cools you down.

Best advice they give is a textile jacket/pants, preferably with vents in the sleeve/legs and some form of exit for the air with LD comfort gear underneath. In the case of upper body wet the sleeves of the LD comfort gear, and let the air coming in the sleeves and exiting the jacket work by evaporative cooling.

Charlie

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:45 pm

My company wanted me to relocate to your area a few years ago. I drove into town opened my car door and the heat smaked me like a blast furance. I haven't felt that kind of heat since the steel mills were running. I would suggest in that heat you wear a white honda civic with tinted windows and good air conditioning

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 pm

charliektm400exc wrote:Can't give personal info, but I've been doing a fair bit of research.

Consensus from people who live in very hot places is, that mesh is not really that good as once it gets to temperatures near body heat then what happens is with the air flowing over you, it heats you up rather then cools you down.

This is correct - and is a good way to get heatstroke. Read the beginning of the Polar Vest article I wrote (link in my message above) and I explain this in quite a bit more detail.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”