dual use trailer

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
deputyb
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade

dual use trailer

Postby deputyb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:28 am

Any advice on what to look for in a trailer that I want to haul my GL 1500 on, then unload the bike and tow that same trailer back home? (empty) I know I need to be aware of weight the wing pulls, but is anything going to exist in that weight range and be nice to the bike when it is the passenger? thanks in advance.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: dual use trailer

Postby redial » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:18 am

For a start, check the load carrying capacity of the tyres. The tyres are load rated at X Kgs (or pounds), so assuming it is a single axle, multiply by 2 (wheels), and you will have the tyre capability. The weight of the load, plus the weight of the trailer, should not be exceeded, and allow a safety factor (say 10%). Make sure tyres are inflated to the correct level as well - too soft and they will blow. Check the lighting to make sure it conforms to your local/state laws, (ours require "clearance lights" if the trailer is wider than the tow vehicle). Make sure there are tie down points, and better still, get a front wheel "holder". When carrying a load, tie it down, then after10 to 15 minutes of driving, check to see that the load is still secure (straps and ropes tend to stretch a bit).

If you want to be a bit fancy, consider a screen for the front to keep stones and road debris from flying up. Alternatively, just use some shade cloth between a number of poles affixed to keep that stuff off.

Hope this helps.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:50 am

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

deputyb
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby deputyb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:32 am

thanks. This is what I was looking for.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”