Retoration Work in Progress

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
plskthompson1

Retoration Work in Progress

Postby plskthompson1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi guys, new to this forum. Have a Goldwing story that everyone should hear. I have been riding bikes for about 8 years now, I know thats not alot of time compared to some of you guys, but it's more time than alot of the young guys getting killed on bikes because they get to cocky. I learned to ride on an 83 wing with the Vetter Windjammer fairing and Vetter luggage, it was my parent's bike so I needed to find my own ride. A friend of the family had a GS 850 G with all the Vetter set up that wing hand on the cheap, I had to have it. After about two years, the charging system on the Suzuki started frying the rectifiers and I couldn't figure out why so I sold the bike to another guy for even less than what I paid for it and he had it running in about a week. Turns out the starter was shorting out the whole system. Any way, I took the money from the sale and bought a Honda Nighthawk 750 from my brother-in-law. Repaired and repainted what was damaged in the wreck a friend of his had on it and rode it for about two years. This still wasn't what I was looking for in a ride. I had to have a wing, the bug had bitten me when I first learned on that 83 and it never left. I put the Nighthawk up for sale and used the money from that to buy the 80 Interstate that I have today. Now the interesting part, I looked for about a month and found her on CL. No picture was attatched so I took a chance, and my parents and I drove for 6 hours one direction to pick this bike up. I got to the address for the pick up of the bike and boy was I disappointed. The wing had a 1200 trunk bolted to the trunk rack to serve for tail/ stop/ and turn lamps, leather saddle bags on the sides, and a paint job that looked like a 5 year old had painted it on. I had driven too far to go home empty handed, but I wasn't going to take this bike without the luggage that was supposed to be with it. The guys neighbor had the original luggage and racks that belonged on the wing, so I told the PO that if he wanted me to buy his wing, that he would knock off the price that his neighbor wanted for the luggage and I would give the two of them the amount of money for all of it that he originally wanted for just the wing itself. At this point the PO talked with his neighbor, and we started loading the luggage in the car. Between my dad and I we rode that wing home in another six hours on the same day. Since then, I have put all of the original luggage where it belongs (back on the bike), recovered the duct tape seat myself, and started prepping everything for paint work. I keep everyone updated on the progress.
Attachments
Not long after getting her home
Not long after getting her home
The 1200 trunk with the funky paint job
The 1200 trunk with the funky paint job
Duct tape seat
Duct tape seat
More of the funky paint
More of the funky paint
Where I am at with resto so far.
Where I am at with resto so far.
And another pic of seat cover
And another pic of seat cover
Pic of seat cover
Pic of seat cover
Passenger back rest
Passenger back rest

People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”