A Sad Story, But True

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

A Sad Story, But True

Postby rodee71 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:20 am

I've been debating whether or not to post this incident or not, but after much thought, I think anyone in this area (Winchester, Va.) that needs work done on their bike should know about this shop and how you and your bike may be treated if you use them.
A little while back, I need a new rear tire for my '82, so I bought one on-line with no problems, good service, fast delivery, exactly what I ordered and only a couple of months old. So I decided to get it mounted at an independent (non-Honda) shop off I-81 north of Winchester, Va. about 3 miles from my house with the intent of finding out if they were a stand-up company worth doing business with long term. I call them up, and they say they would be happy to replace the tire since they had a mechanic that used to work at a Honda dealership in Harrisonburg for over 5 years (supposedly, the one I had been using in), but it would be a week if I leave it there. So I take my tire and +/- 2 oz. of balancing beads to the shop and I'm given a price by the mechanic of $69/hr at max 2 1/2 hrs. for a total of $172.50, or less if I'm lucky, for the install. Expensive, but, like I said, it's worth it to me to find out if they are a quality shop because the Honda dealer I've been using (a very good dealership) is more than 70 miles away. Ok, after a week, I stop by to see the progress and I'm told it'll be another week. Alright, I still have a '93 to ride so I don't raise a fuss, but hope it'll be ready by the next w/e. And, I drop off another full 2 oz. set of beads because the first set I left had spilled out of the package when I opened the box (the plastic was open at the rip-strip) and I had been sent a 2 oz. replacement package, which was very nice of them. I wanted to make sure that the shop used the new full 2 oz. set of beads and not the ones that had spilled, so they now had almost four oz. of beads because the mechanic couldn't put his hands on the first set to give back me when I left. Ok, another 5-6 days go by and I get a call from the mechanic who's actually working on my bike, and he say's "I can't balance the tire when I use the beads. I even tried adding all the beads, but it didn't help." Oh boy. So. I explain to him that his balancing machine couldn't possibly spin the tire fast enough for the beads to work, you just have to have faith and, please, take out all but the 2 oz. I asked you to put in, but it's gonna be like herding cats, cause I found out when I opened up the broken package that they shoot out in a million different directions when you try to pick them up, kinda like a reverse magnetic polarity with my fingers. My mistake was leaving the extra beads there. My bad. So, I get a call from the shop that that Friday that the bike might be ready that evening, but call them before I come in. At about 6:30 pm, I call and he (the owner) says I can pick it up in about 1/2 an hour, but 15 minutes later, it's pouring rain, so I call and tell them I'll pick it up when they open the next morning, around 9:00 am. I make it to the shop at 9:30 the next morning, and the fun begins. First, the owner presents me with a bill for, are you ready: $440.00! Really? For replacing 1 tire with one I brought in? Yes, really. The look on my face must have touched a nerve deep inside of him, because he breaks out in a little sweat and quickly gives me a break and marks it down to $330.00, because the hourly rate is now, today, this minute....$75.00/hr. not $69.00. Lucky me. In my head, I do the math and at 2 1/2 hours, that's still under $200.00, but, now, I just want to get the heck away from these guy's, so I pay. And I ride off, but not too far, because as I apply the brakes before entering the main road, all I hear is metal on metal coming from the rear brakes, and if you think I'M NOT HAPPY!...you're right. This is my baby, a nearly new '82, only 12,000 miles, fully dressed with everything and she's been treated badly. Well, I decide to give it a mile or two (and hoping the wind cools me off a little so I don't hurt someone) to see if the sound goes away and the if brakes return to working as quietly as they did the day I brought it to them. No such luck. I return to the shop and look under the bike and I see that , get this, there is no brake pad on the left side of the rotor. The caliper is pushing the rotor on that side and it has to be doing serious damage to the rotor. Luckily for me (and them) I'm unarmed, but there has to be steam coming from my ears when I call out the owner to look at this disaster. Well, he immediately tells the mechanic to check it out, and, by golly, he agrees that the pad ain't there, and he can't figure out why. Ok, I leave it and tell him to do his best and FIX IT! I go back home. I wait. I finally get a call from him and he proudly announces that he figured it out...he had remounted the wheel with both brake pads on the inner side of the rotor! Pure Genius, I tell him. And I ask, What kind of shape is my rotor in, because it was now a case of metal to metal on BOTH sides of the rotor, instead of pads! He reassures me that he polished the rotor with a buffer and some kind of pad and was happy to say that there was no damage to be seen. I go back immediately to pick up my bike, and pull the owner aside. I assure him that the rotor will be inspected by the Honda dealer I'd been using (whom I am ever so grateful for now more than ever) and if it didn't meet spec's or was obviously damaged, I'LL BE BACK! I get a weak, sheepish, "ok" and leave, ride about 100 miles or so to make damn sure the brakes were working and end up at the Honda dealer who checked the rotor and was satisfied that it was good to go. I let Gary the shop foreman know what I had been been through and that I will be dealing exclusively with them for any future repairs or maintenance. I ask him if he had ever heard of the mechanic that worked on my bike. Of course, he hadn't. Ok, long story, but I feel better now knowing I may help someone avoid a similar experience if they are thinking about taking their Wing to Winchester Motorsports. Enough said.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: A Sad Story, But True

Postby minimac » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:35 am

Tough lesson to to learn and thanks. If I'm ever in Winchester,I'll avoid that place like I avoid the Aamco transmission guy there. but that's another story....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Add your experience in the vendor database, so that others can find it: http://goldwingdocs.com/Vendors/_962

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 pm

I have only changed ONE (1) rear tire on a GL1100. It took me 45 minutes to get the wheel and tire off the bike, and about 25 minutes to get it all back on and together... and I'm old and slow.

I would be absolutely ASHAMED to charge someone (or try to) 440$ to change the tire, especially if they brought the tire with them...

I am very sorry to be reading that there are still places like this pretending to repair motorcycles. Adding insult to injury by putting the caliper back on WRONG, on top of making you wait to be overcharged is more than I would have been able to take.

You are definitely a better man than me.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Believe me, it was a struggle.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 pm

And people wonder why we do our own work! I took my tires/wheels into a local shop (after calling them first) with tires I bought online and they mounted and balanced them for $20.00 each. And when I put in the new pads they were in right!
Glad you got her back in good shape in the end, lesson learned.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Unfortunately, there are still shops out there that are unscrupulous. When I bought my 99, it was in need of a fair amount of work since it had been setting for the better part of 14 years. It ran, but not well. Since I bought it from a local dealer I had bought other bikes from and had bought parts and materials from him for the past 15 years, I made the work that needed to be done part of the deal and I gave a deposit and was not to take delivery until the bike was running right. Long story short; I picked it up and was told it was running rough and that it was probably some bad fuel left in the bottom of the tank and it should work its way out with some miles on it..... After 5 weeks and 3 more trips back to the shop, they finally found what I told them was wrong in the beginning. One of the carbs had the diaphragm improperly seated; a vacuum leak; the other carb had the pilot passage partially plugged. Both of these issues caused the following: Pilot circuit; caused a flat spot, hard starting and poor idle at low end; the diaphragm caused misfiring at 1750 up to about 3000 RPM.
This is the exception of my own rule of doing all my own work. These are guys I will get parts from, take my wheels in to be balanced, etc. But they won't get any major work from me.
Good luck with your bike.
Bill

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:05 am

I have been very lucky to have a truly awesome mechanic. I'm not very handy - more impatient than not handy, but I have a guy at Rider's Choice in the Cleve, OH area that is really a perfectionist. He looks over the bike , calls with a price, does the work, usually make a few extra adjustments with no additional charges and completes work on time.
He has advised me what I'm going to need soon. Had me order parts on Ebay to save money, with no up-charge for not getting parts from him and is all around a good guy. He's about the only guy I trust with my bike. The biggest thing he did was replace the stator at cost for stator plus a batch of homemade ale - I really got the better part of the deal.
I would recommend Rider's Choice - Bela is the owner, to anyone in need of service on a metric (or non-Harley) bike. Always great, honest service from a small business owner that has become a great friend(and lover of (homebrew)!
http://riderschoicecleveland.com/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:40 am

Harp wrote:I have been very lucky to have a truly awesome mechanic. I'm not very handy - more impatient than not handy, but I have a guy at Rider's Choice in the Cleve, OH area that is really a perfectionist. He looks over the bike , calls with a price, does the work, usually make a few extra adjustments with no additional charges and completes work on time.
He has advised me what I'm going to need soon. Had me order parts on Ebay to save money, with no up-charge for not getting parts from him and is all around a good guy. He's about the only guy I trust with my bike. The biggest thing he did was replace the stator at cost for stator plus a batch of homemade ale - I really got the better part of the deal.
I would recommend Rider's Choice - Bela is the owner, to anyone in need of service on a metric (or non-Harley) bike. Always great, honest service from a small business owner that has become a great friend(and lover of (homebrew)!
http://riderschoicecleveland.com/

Add your recommendations to the Vendor Database for others to find and read: Rider's Choice Cleveland

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree with Hawkeye " you are a better man then me " About that time I have anger issues that even though I try to hold back, I m not very successful.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Missourimike
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:34 pm

I change all my own tires and those for a lot of my friends. Reason being....too often the dirtiest, lowliest jobs are given to the "newby" mechanic(I'm being generous here) and they get to change the tires. Often as not, they do not have the experience needed to do the job correctly, including getting the tire to seat right, on the rim. Old hands like myself have no trouble, due to experience, and we often forget that it's not all easy for the new guy, especially if his mind is always into the weekend and not on the task at hand. I've been changing all my tires ever since a local Honda shop did one for my co-worker many years ago. He got 7 miles out of the front tire before it came off the rim. He got a week off work in the hospital and I bought his wrecked CB750 SS.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:18 pm

I change my own tires. Lower overall cost.
If I make a mistake, it's OH WELL and fix/replace it and don't do that again.

If a shop did it, now comes the aggravation, rising blood pressure, unintended vehicle down time and the "What else did they screw up?"
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Postby bstig60 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm

I change my own tires as well and then take them to a shop to be balanced. Usually they can do that without screwing up. My purpose in changing my tires isn't the seating of the tire on the rim so much as making sure and the bolts, nuts, etc. were torqued to spec and all the pins, etc. put back in place.
Bill

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:17 pm

bstig60 wrote:I change my own tires as well and then take them to a shop to be balanced. Usually they can do that without screwing up. My purpose in changing my tires isn't the seating of the tire on the rim so much as making sure and the bolts, nuts, etc. were torqued to spec and all the pins, etc. put back in place.

I also change my own tyres as I trust no-one, but I also fit balance beads so I don't have to waste time driving around to a shop to get the wheel balanced!!
Beads are cheap and easy to fit. Means I can jack the bike up and in less than 2 hours have it back on the road with a balanced new rear tyre.. That is worth a lot to me!!

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:59 pm

thrasherg wrote:
bstig60 wrote:I change my own tires as well and then take them to a shop to be balanced. Usually they can do that without screwing up. My purpose in changing my tires isn't the seating of the tire on the rim so much as making sure and the bolts, nuts, etc. were torqued to spec and all the pins, etc. put back in place.

I also change my own tyres as I trust no-one, but I also fit balance beads so I don't have to waste time driving around to a shop to get the wheel balanced!!
Beads are cheap and easy to fit. Means I can jack the bike up and in less than 2 hours have it back on the road with a balanced new rear tyre.. That is worth a lot to me!!

Gary

Exactly what I do. Change my own tires (well, a friend has a $10,000 motorcycle tire changing machine, so I'm not levering tires off with tire spoons or anything), then balance them with beads.

Evilrick
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1977 750K (hot rod), still miss it sometimes.
650 Trump. 450 CB, 400 Suzi dirt & street, 2 or 3 360 Enduro Yamaha's, 400 TM Yamaha (dirt only), 350 Kaw, 125 Enduro Yamaha, even had an 106 Allstate when I was real young, Sears sold them about 50 yrs ago. Do I really need to list the rest?

Postby Evilrick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 am

I live in Illinois, but am close to St. Louis Mo. I have gone to 2 Honda shops in the area, one in south St. Louis, the other in Belleville Il. I had to replace fork seals on my 84 GL1200A aspy. Went to Belleville Honda and had to argue with the guy to even get him to sell me the parts. He ask why I wanted to buy parts for a 30 yr old bike. Then sold me the wrong bushings, so I only replaced the seals and put in Progressive springs that I bought online. I went to Mungenast Honda car and bike dealer in St. Louis to see if they were any better. Got the same kind of non-service as with Belleville. Anyway the reason I am putting all this down is because I am looking for someone to do or help me do service on my Wing, I need to change the tires and do some tune-up stuff but don't want to try doing them from the book alone. Does anybody know of a shop in the area that is dependable and reasonable? Is there anyone in the area that would like to help me get to know the old girl. I will be happy to pay for the help. I've already checked out the Vender page on this site, put in my zip code and gave 100 mi as the distance, but got nothing for even just maintenance.
No matter where you go, there you are. It's not the destination that matters. Getting there safe does.

rodee71
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:30 am

Check out the how-to sections on the site. I use them all the time to do my own service. And we have a bunch of great guys here that will answer any questions you may have if you just ask. Besides, doing it yourself is fun. You never know when you may have a problem out on the road and knowing something about the bike is a good thing. And, you could save yourself the trouble of dealing with yahoos at the dealer. Also, save some cash. Good Luck!

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:48 pm

I''d like to change my own, but I'm reluctant to do so because of lack of equipment / tools / knowledge.

Knowledge is the one that is in the shortest supply, for me.

I have changed a "buncha" bicycle tires in my day, but no motorcycle tires.

Is there a "tutorial" for it?...or a short story?
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:06 pm

ankgrays wrote:I''d like to change my own, but I'm reluctant to do so because of lack of equipment / tools / knowledge.

Knowledge is the one that is in the shortest supply, for me.

I have changed a "buncha" bicycle tires in my day, but no motorcycle tires.

Is there a "tutorial" for it?...or a short story?

There sure is: How to remove and remount your tires

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:14 pm

WOW!!>>>That was quick...Thanks!!
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

CaNorseman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 (for sale) 81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Postby CaNorseman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:03 pm

I also bought a Metzler tire online. I took the rim and tire to my local honda shop for a mount and balance.. 47 Dollars .. I p/u the tire and go home to discover it was mounted the wrong direction. I take it back and the Mgr apologized with an excuse that later model bikes have the speedo drive on the left.( ok I know the worktag 76 honda goldwing and that the Mgr did confirm speedo drive on right when I dropped it off.)
Ok now i pick it up the second time. I Mount the rim on the bike and spin it. I had a 1/2" deflection in one spot( right next to a new dent in the rim). Now I'm Pissed off and go back for a third time. The Mgr deflects the blame to an old stock tire And fixes it again telling me " the bead will set After a few miles of road and bumps.
I take the bike back east for a trip.. The first bit of rain and the vibration shows up. I took the rim off and sent it to a local shop to replace it. The shop owner did a spin out on it and couldn't believe how bad is was. He removed the tire to find 6 inches of tube pinched in the bead Right where the rim was bent.Then he found the tube was a 17 inch tube on a 19 inch rim.He cleaned the inside of the rim which hadnt been done by honda and remounted it. WOW what a nice ride now. I will never deal with Modesto Honda again for anything.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 am

CaNorseman wrote:I also bought a Metzler tire online. I took the rim and tire to my local honda shop for a mount and balance.. 47 Dollars .. I p/u the tire and go home to discover it was mounted the wrong direction. I take it back and the Mgr apologized with an excuse that later model bikes have the speedo drive on the left.( ok I know the worktag 76 honda goldwing and that the Mgr did confirm speedo drive on right when I dropped it off.)
Ok now i pick it up the second time. I Mount the rim on the bike and spin it. I had a 1/2" deflection in one spot( right next to a new dent in the rim). Now I'm Pissed off and go back for a third time. The Mgr deflects the blame to an old stock tire And fixes it again telling me " the bead will set After a few miles of road and bumps.
I take the bike back east for a trip.. The first bit of rain and the vibration shows up. I took the rim off and sent it to a local shop to replace it. The shop owner did a spin out on it and couldn't believe how bad is was. He removed the tire to find 6 inches of tube pinched in the bead Right where the rim was bent.Then he found the tube was a 17 inch tube on a 19 inch rim.He cleaned the inside of the rim which hadnt been done by honda and remounted it. WOW what a nice ride now. I will never deal with Modesto Honda again for anything.

That's terrible! Definitely add this to the Vendor Database

bstig60
1999 Virago XV1100LC

Postby bstig60 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 am

I have a local independent shop that I use on occassion to balance tires if I am not using Dynabeads. They are reliable and reasonably priced. I go out of my way to avoid the local Honda dealer due to the bad stories I have heard from others. For the most part I change my own tires and use Dynabeads when I have them. I just ordered a new rear Kenda Kruz for my bike. The old one is approaching 16K miles and maybe has a couple of thousand left in it. Front tire, also Kenda Kruz, installed at the same time still has many miles left on it. I will change these myself when the time comes. Since I have not done this before, what is the best way to recover Dynabeads from an old tire?
Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:32 am

bstig60 wrote:I have a local independent shop that I use on occassion to balance tires if I am not using Dynabeads. They are reliable and reasonably priced. I go out of my way to avoid the local Honda dealer due to the bad stories I have heard from others. For the most part I change my own tires and use Dynabeads when I have them. I just ordered a new rear Kenda Kruz for my bike. The old one is approaching 16K miles and maybe has a couple of thousand left in it. Front tire, also Kenda Kruz, installed at the same time still has many miles left on it. I will change these myself when the time comes. Since I have not done this before, what is the best way to recover Dynabeads from an old tire?

Not something I've tried, but here's what I would do: put a piece of material - maybe nylon pantyhose? - over the end of a shop vac nozzle, then turn it on and move it around inside the tire once you've broken the bead. It should suck up the beads, but hold them against the nylon. Then move the nozzle into the mouth of a jar and turn the shop vac off, and it should release them into the jar. Repeat until the beads are out.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 am

MAYBE drill 1/2 hole in the tire and drain?
Tho radials will be tuff to drill.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”