New member / Old rider

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
linkbelt
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1973 CB500Four (First Bike)

New member / Old rider

Postby linkbelt » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:42 am

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and would like to thank all the members for the great advice and how to articles. I bought a 1980 Goldwing Interstate last summer and have been enjoying riding again. I got my first bike when I was 15, Dad brought home a 1973 Honda 500Four and said " you better learn how to ride it son 'cause this is how you're getting to work" It was all I drove/road for 10 years. This Wing is the first bike I've had since that 500 and I love being back in the saddle. Of course with an older bike there are a lot of "little" things that need attention but it has been good so far. I've been experiencing the brake dragging issue after a rear master and caliper rebuild this spring but thanks to this forum I think that will soon be resolved. Thanks again

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: New member / Old rider

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:56 am

Glad to be reading about another OLD-Wing that is being ridden and well looked after. Welcome to the forum!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Welcome to the Goldwingdocs forum. There are a lot of good folks here with a LOT of good information. If you ask, they will answer. The knowledge base here is second to none. I hope you enjoy your time here.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

linkbelt

Postby linkbelt » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:24 am

You folks have inspired me, so............. while I had the Wing stripped down to take the rear brakes off I inspected and lubed my final drive splines and driveshaft, also changed the final gear oil.
I got the rear brakes installed and bled, seems the brake drag issue may have been resolved. The scary part is we didn't find anything obvious when we rebuilt everything, maybe I had gotten some crap in the system when I had it open for the first rebuild?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:28 pm

First, I would like to welcome you to the website from the U.P.of Michigan. Second, I believe that when you rebuilt your brakes, part of that is changing the fluid. Clean fluid is so important, it makes all of the parts work smoothly and without contamination which which hurts moving parts. Brake fluid loves moisture, it will absorb it until it turns into a peanut butter like mess. Water in the fluid, as it gets hot, changes in expansion. Plus it rusts all the steel parts. That is why clean fluid is so important.
Proud member Patriot Guard

linkbelt

Postby linkbelt » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:29 pm

bustedwing wrote:First, I would like to welcome you to the website from the U.P.of Michigan. Second, I believe that when you rebuilt your brakes, part of that is changing the fluid. Clean fluid is so important, it makes all of the parts work smoothly and without contamination which which hurts moving parts. Brake fluid loves moisture, it will absorb it until it turns into a peanut butter like mess. Water in the fluid, as it gets hot, changes in expansion. Plus it rusts all the steel parts. That is why clean fluid is so important.

Yes Sir, brand new bottle, had to pull off the silver seal ;). Hoping to do timing belts an set valves next weekend. If that goes well I may take a crack at balancing the carbs. See if I can get rid of that flat spot.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:38 am

Well, it sounds like you are starting off right. Just tackle the small things at first, and enjoy the GW. You will learn more and get to know when it is running 'right' and when it isnt. Enjoy your GW, and welcome to this Forum from the Deep Deep South.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”