Sleeping beauty, you are top heavy !!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Sleeping beauty, you are top heavy !!

Postby made2care » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Come on guys, I know what you are thinking, I don't mean that kinda top heavy, and they say hooters is a family restaurant !!!! Yeah right!!!
This is my first wing, and even though the gas tank is embedded under the seat( which I think is an ingenious design until you might have to remove it like I did), she still feels top heavy. I realize I have to adjust to the goldwing design, however, what is causing this feeling. Could it be the type of tires, or maybe the original fork springs. Mind you , I have spent a lot of $$$$$ to get her going, and After all this I was expecting a ride that I feel I am in control of, and for some reason , I don't feel that. She sways easily, no wobbling of any kind just feels top heavy.
Any answer for this or could it be that she is a 1987.
Thanks.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Sleeping beauty, you are top heavy !!

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:12 pm

The first thing I had to do when I bought my 1200 was to learn how to ride all over again. I suppose I was a poor rider to begin with and the fact that I had ridden lighter bikes all my life hid the fact from me. I relied far too much on the front brake, was probably never really in control at low speed, and made up for poor technique through muscling the bikes around since they were light enough to do so.

The first thing I had to learn to do when riding a goldwing was stop with the front end pointed where you want to go. Then I had to learn to use the foot brake (linked brakes on a 1200) to control the bike along with the clutch and throttle at low speed. I had to go to a parking lot and practice, because like you, I felt like the bike was going to fall over on me all the time. It took a little practice to get used to riding correctly. I rarely use the front brake to stop now. I also think about where I am in relation to where I want to go before I stop to get the bike pointed in the right direction to prevent that wobbling on take off. It just takes a while to get used to.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:22 pm

In addition, cruising down the highway, it feels as though the fairing contributes to the top heavy feeling, any slight wind and she sways. I think if I install some heavier fork springs maybe that will help a little.
Also, you mentioned the foot pedal brake, does it control the left front caliper and rear caliper??

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Practice, practice, practice will make the top heavy feeling go away. I found the same thing when I first bought my Goldwing four years ago, but no longer feel that she is top heavy at all. I feel she is responsive to turning and leaning. Mine is now a very nimble bike rather than top heavy. Tires can contribute to the tendency of a bike to fall into a lean, and in fact I first noticed that when I put Michelin tires on a bike that had previously had the old style square bottom tires on it. It took a bit of time to get used to the Gold thang but it will come.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”