That horrible CRUNCH sound

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

That horrible CRUNCH sound

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm

I did a short trip this weekend, around 800 miles or so, heading out Friday night. I learned a couple of things:

- The new Olympia Ranger gear I have is fantastic - warm, comfortable, water resistant. I'll write about it soon.

- The Olympia Horizon rain gear I have works well and keeps me dry even in pouring rain.

- Riding at 70 mph into a 30-35 mph headwind for hours is exhausting. You are being hit constantly with 100+ mph of wind, it's loud, and your bike gets thrown around a fair bit. I took a lot of breaks over about 5 hours of this, and kept seeing the same old guy riding a gorgeous Shadow at each rest stop. He was on the tail end of an 1800 mile trip from Newfoundland, and he was getting beat up just as much as I was.

Taking a rest from windy riding
Taking a rest from windy riding

- Keeping your bike in first gear at an intersection to allow you to get away quickly from someone who is about to rear-end you is useless if you aren't watching to see if someone is about to rear-end you.

It was Sunday morning, about 8:00 am, I had just left for the last leg home, after getting not a whole lot of sleep Saturday night. It was sunny and gorgeous out, and my bike said it was cool: 48F. I had ridden maybe a mile, heading for the interstate, and stopped at a six-lane intersection for a red light. As is my habit, I was sitting at the intersection in first gear, holding the clutch in: my bike was ready to spring into action should I require it. However, my head was not. My mind was wandering off, probably still in a bit of a foggy daze from a poor night's sleep, when I was brought back to earth with that sickening CRUNCH sound that cars make when they hit (or are hit by) something. In the lane right next to me, some clueless woman, working her cell phone, had just driven at full speed into an SUV that was stopped, waiting for the red light to change. No squeal of brakes, no attempt to slow down, just CRUNCH.

I had been in that lane just before stopping for the red light. That SUV could have been me. I need to pay more attention, not let my mind wander...always remember, they are OUT TO KILL YOU.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: That horrible CRUNCH sound

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:09 pm

No offense to the fellow who was rear-ended, but I'm glad it was him and not you. He's probably got a sore neck today, but little else physically wrong with him, where I doubt you'd have been so lucky.

I agree. They really are out to kill us and it is up to us to keep them from their appointed task.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Man, Scott, I am glad you are okay and you were not the hapless victim of another brain dead distracted driver. Thank you for the heads up. I have not been as vigilant as I should be of late and it is time for some remedial practice.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 am

I'll wager you were wide awake after that CRUNCH sound.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

enjoyriding
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 83,000+
1980 XS1100G 101,200 sold
1976 XS650 54, 000 sold

Postby enjoyriding » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Glad you were spared disaster, there are many on this forum that would miss you, but not as much as your family would. I've only had one close call like that. No crunch, but a lot of tire squealing.

I was in the left lane waiting to make a left turn, on a four lane main road, to head home after work. When I heard the squeal after the tires locked up, I looked in the mirror to see if I was in the proximity of the action, and the car in the mirror was in my lane and headed straight for me. :shock: I accelerated hard and got out of there. :o

Turned around in the gas station just up the road to head back to my road and saw the car past where I was waiting. The driver was a little shaken up, realizing the accident that was avoided.

I too was a little jumpy, so I didn't offer any words of encouragement, but I did thank God for a safe ride home. Amazing how a few incidents in life can add a few years so quickly.

bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 am

Life is measured by the Moments that take your breath away.
Glad you switched lanes Scott, and yes I do get in first gear at lights and keep a close eye on the car approching me from behind. I "work" the front brake lever a few times to make sure the car approching from behind can see all of my 13 brake-lights "flashing" ;)

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 pm

bjatwood wrote:Life is measured by the Moments that take your breath away.
Glad you switched lanes Scott, and yes I do get in first gear at lights and keep a close eye on the car approching me from behind. I "work" the front brake lever a few times to make sure the car approching from behind can see all of my 13 brake-lights "flashing" ;)

I do the same with my brake lights, I have actually been thinking of selling my wing just because it is getting worse out there instead of better, here in Arizona there are a LOT of retired (old) people that drive like SH*T and I hate it! They just don't pay attention to you!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:10 pm

I learned to ride in St . Pete Fl. which was the same way. At the time it was the worst place in the U.S. for fire trucs, cop cars, and ambulances for being in accidents due to the older people that couldn't see the flashing lights or hear the sirens. To ride a bike in that environment you had to ride VERY defensively.
Proud member Patriot Guard

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:13 pm

What I meant to say was that even though it has been many years since I've had to ride like that your post reminded me just how vigilant we need to be about our safety. Thank you.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 pm

As much as I practice safe driving and try to minimize risks one of my biggest fears is that I'll be rear ended in the manner. For this i always try to leave an out lane to go in case I spot this. But neglectful drivers are too plentiful on the roads. They need to make the laws so that drivers can't use cellphones at all before too many more tragedies occur.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

qbmowman45
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing
2002 Shadow 750

Postby qbmowman45 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Good to hear your heads up rider. Here in Topeka we just had a 83 year old wing rider rear ended and then sandwiched at a stop light and killed. The truck that hit him didn't even apply breaks either hope there is an investigation on the cell phone usage of that driver.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:18 am

I saw on the news that a police chief is calling for technology to stop mobile/cell phones from working (while the engine is running?).

Maybe it is a "Nanny State" approach, but something needs to be done to stop inattentive driving, the same as DUI alcohol/drugs.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”