almost bought it (well not quite but it would have hurt)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

almost bought it (well not quite but it would have hurt)

Postby aznyaz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:00 pm

On my way to work today was stopped behind some left turning traffic so I decided to get in the right lane and pass it. No problem there but upon acceleration (not speeding BTW) the road was taking a slight left bend at the traffic light I was about to pass. At this point I'm doing about 30 MPH and the person turning left in the oncoming traffic didn't see me coming around and turns right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and locked up the rear wheel momentarily, almost taking the high side, but slowed down enough to miss hitting the car. My slowing down and the car moving to my right was all I needed to avoid a collision and certain banging to the body, possibly broken bones.

I wanted to be mad at that person and probably had good reason to be, but it was my momentary lapse in judgment, not anticipating someone doing that, that created this situation. Glad my reflexes are still good.

They are out to get us and the only thing keeping us apart are our own wits!

Close one today.

MJ

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: almost bought it (well not quite but it would have hurt)

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Good to hear you managed to clear the car without injuring yourself. Intersections scare me almost as much as deer... be careful out there.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:19 am

Good for you for realizing your momentary lapse in judgement. It only takes a moment. Passing stopped traffic on the right is never a good idea.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:44 am

Well, I had 2 lanes to work with. I wasn't passing on a shoulder and I didn't dart out in front of traffic coming up behind me. I could have been in that lane to begin with and still encountered this. I should have been more aware of the on coming traffic. It happened so fast I didn't even get an adrenaline rush. Glad I can talk about from a desk rather than a hospital bed. We've all got to anticipate and watch for blind spots.

jeffers
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby jeffers » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm

glad you didn't crash and get hurt.. good job!!! just remember, watch out out there ...anything can happen at any time...be safe and use good judgement.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Any time you pop up from a blind spot, as far as someone else is concerned, WATCH OUT! I have seen so many bikes go down next to a vehicle that is making a left turn because the oncoming vehicle can't see the bike passing the turning vehicle. Do it slowly so everyone has time to react.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 pm

aznyaz wrote:On my way to work today was stopped behind some left turning traffic so I decided to get in the right lane and pass it. No problem there but upon acceleration (not speeding BTW) the road was taking a slight left bend at the traffic light I was about to pass. At this point I'm doing about 30 MPH and the person turning left in the oncoming traffic didn't see me coming around and turns right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and locked up the rear wheel momentarily, almost taking the high side, but slowed down enough to miss hitting the car. My slowing down and the car moving to my right was all I needed to avoid a collision and certain banging to the body, possibly broken bones.

I wanted to be mad at that person and probably had good reason to be, but it was my momentary lapse in judgment, not anticipating someone doing that, that created this situation. Glad my reflexes are still good.

They are out to get us and the only thing keeping us apart are our own wits!

Close one today.

MJ

I had something nearly as scary as your close call. Just got done gassing up and went to pull up to the exit when some idiot comes flying at me in a beat up on dodge neon. He was probably going 45mph and cutting into my side of the exit because he wanted to beat an oncoming car. I was going slow and had to snap on my brakes. At this point its all I can do to keep the bike from falling over. Couldn't hit the horn. He was headed right at me and looking at the oncoming car he was trying to beat. When he finally looked at me he paniced and slammedon his brakes. He was so panicked he nearly ran over me even when he did get his car slowed down. A close call and happy there was no accident.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

jgrim
Motorcycle: 1985 CMX250 - "Fiddlesticks"
1984 GL1200A - No Name Yet

Postby jgrim » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Glad you came through it unharmed, aznyaz.

This reminds me of a recent lapse of judgement that I had. There is a certain chicane-type curve near me that is super fun; right then left 90-degree turns connected by about 80' of straight and the speed limit is 35 mph. Whee!!! The problem is that you can't see through it due to brush and there are two driveways on the straight section. I was lazy, did not slow down coming into the first turn and encountered a box van on the straight, waiting to turn left into a driveway. I got lucky and was able to stop in time, but a real wake up call.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Absolutely to all of us. We must watch and be cautious when we can't see everything. It's too easy for something to go wrong.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”