Another New Member

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 CMX250 - "Fiddlesticks"
1984 GL1200A - No Name Yet

Another New Member

Postby jgrim » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi Folks!

I'm Jeff and I've been happily riding my Honda CMX250 Rebel for the last few years. Lately I've been eyeing a '77 GL1000 that's been for sale in town for the last few months. I drive by it about once a week. It's not exactly a basket case, but very it looks rough and does not run. I haven't called to get the full story yet, but I imagine it's one of those "I parked it in the back yard 15 years ago and it's been sitting there ever since" type deals.

I've been reading the articles and posts here to get a feel for what I'd be in for if I decide to buy that '77 and bring it back from the dead. Lot's of good info so far and very knowledgeable members. Thanks to all for the info and I'll post again if I end up buying the thing. Anything is possible if the price is right.

On a side note, there is a local salvage yard that has 5 GL's (2XGL1000, 2xGL1100, 1XGL1200) on Craigslist for $25 each. That might be worth it just for the parts!

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Another New Member

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Welcome to the site. If you are fairly handy with tools and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can breath life back into almost any old motorcycle.

It always makes me feel a little better about humanity when I see something that is old restored to be used again... especially an old motorcycle.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Welcome to the forum! I always thought it would be a good project to "bring one back from the dead" I just haven't found one to rejuvenate!
Good luck and post pictures if you do.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:50 am

Here is another member to the Forum. I welcome you and your GW, whatever shape it is in, and wish you well in your project.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”