Valkyrie

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Valkyrie

Postby glasshead » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post..... My wife just recently showed an interest in riding on the back and we have taken a few hour long trips through horse farm country here in Lexington, KY. My 83 Interstate does O.K. but it feels like I am pushing her a bit. More down shifting than seems necessary. I am retiring from teaching at the end of this school year, and I envision longer trips during off seasons.

I habitually peruse Craig's list motorcycle adds just for the fun of it and I am, for some reason, a bit fixated on looking at Valkyrie adds. What is the basic differences between them and Wings? It takes a bit of effort for me to hold up the Wing when 2up on stops, partly because I can't sit flat footed on it. Would a Valk be even harder? What about working on them? I really like working on the 1100, and find it quite easy. I would be interested in hearing any other thoughts from those of you who have or have had a Valk.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Valkyrie

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Near as I can tell, a Valkyrie is a GL1500 Goldwing, without the plastics and bags... and instead of two carburetors, a Valkyrie has six carbs. I imagine the weight is VERY similar aside from 100 pounds or so of plastics removed. I'm sure there are other differences I am unaware of, but engine, transmission and frame are shared with a Goldwing, as far as I know.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:34 pm

I believe that the Valk has a different camshaft and the ones that I have seen sit lower which works for the people that are inseam handicapped! It does have more snort to it so 2 up would be much easier. Good luck.
Proud member Patriot Guard

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm sure there are performance tweaks... Last time I looked at the horse-power and torque specs for a GL1500 vs a Valkyrie, there was a considerable higher amount of both in favor of the Valkyrie... so there's something going on besides more carbs!

bustedwing wrote:I believe that the Valk has a different camshaft and the ones that I have seen sit lower which works for the people that are inseam handicapped! It does have more snort to it so 2 up would be much easier. Good luck.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 am

On a Valkyrie the visual gas tank is the real thing, a gas tank and not a virtual one. That's got to make it much more top heavy than the other Wings, and then add a passenger to that upper weight. They had to make room for those six big carbs that are responsible for all of that horsepower.

Scott

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 am

83 1100 vs Valkyrie. Apples and oranges. There really is no comparison. Valk: Gl1500 engine equals loads of torque. Almost no down shifting even 2 up and in the mountains. A very well balanced motorcycle even with the tank where it is. Your 83 has a 5th gear that is considered overdrive so you are using 4th gear a lot. Not that that is a bad thing. It is what it is. Yes, the Valk sits lower that the 83. You will not have a problem flat footing it. As for working on it there should be less of that necessary but if you get the Interstate touring model ease of access will be similar. Fairing, saddlebags, etc. to be considered. Find one close by and go sit on it before you buy. Maybe they will let you ride it.
I don't own one but my brother had one and I rode 2 up all over Colorado and loved the bike.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby glasshead » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanx for the responses. I probably will stay with my 1100, because I would have to get rid of it: a. because I can't afford to buy even the cheapest Valk close by ($5500) and b. I couldn't afford insurance on two machines. (And I'm not even including what the missus might think about two of them in the car port.) But it is fun to dream and who knows, I might have a rich uncle somewhere that I never met, die and leave me exactly $5500. :P
It is still interesting to know the difference, if anyone else wants to chime in.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”