REAR ENDED

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

REAR ENDED

Postby hap2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:50 pm

I had a bad Nov 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM.  Somebody texting in their car didn't see me stopped to turn at an intersection & ran right into me.  The motorcycle went one way & I went flying thru the air & rolled on the pavement about 20'.  Nothing broken, but bad whiplash & road rash.  I wish I could help you, but right now, VERY stiff & sore.  The ambulance & police said it was totally his fault.  $3000.00 damage to bike & I lost my glasses.

Back home from hosp at 2:30 AM..nothing broken...just road rash on knees & right elbow.  Guy ran right into the back of the bike & I went flying thru the air & rolled on pavement for 30'.  He wasn't charge cuz out of 4 brake lights, 1 was burnt out.  He was only 20 yrs old & I think texting when I went by him he was going so slow.  I heard him saw "I never saw him & I was only going 40 km/hr.  Both cops & ambulance driver said it was totally his fault but couldn’t prove anything.  I also got severe whiplash they said.  Also, lots of road rash (I had shorts on) to both knees...  Rite wrist really sore.  Pretty stiff too.   When I talked to u, I was on stretcher in hosp with head immobilized & strapped down.  I also lost glasses .nobody could find them

I'm sure the trauma from hitting pavement knocked me out

I'd really like to know which way my body went as I have road rash..behind left shoulder (top corner of back), not a mark on left arm, but bruising on top of left hand, also 7 little asphalt rock marks (fairly deep) down left thumb, a 3" road rash circle on left knee,  two - 3" road rash marks on right knee & more severe road rash up & down right forearm, as well as bad road rash on right elbow.  Both upper arms (from the inside of the elbows to my shoulders & across the back of my neck really hurt, but more both biceps  The top front ("forehead") part of my helmet is all scratched up evenly.  I have a slight fracture in my right ulna (wrist bone) as well. I'd really like to know which way my body went as I have road rash..behind left shoulder (top corner of back), not a mark on left arm, but bruising on top of left hand, also 7 little asphalt rock marks (fairly deep) down left thumb, a 3" road rash circle on left knee,  two - 3" road rash marks on right knee & more severe road rash up & down right forearm, as well as bad road rash on right elbow.  Both upper arms (from the inside of the elbows to my shoulders & across the back of my neck really hurt, but more both biceps  The top front ("forehead") part of my helmet is all scratched up evenly.  I have a slight fracture in my right ulna (wrist bone) as well.

The driver did not get charged with anything, but I did. I believe my 1992 1500 GoldwingSE has 4 brake lights. The found one that didn't work, so they gave me a ticket. And, how many tailights has a bike like mine have? 6 or 8? All of them were working. And this guy said he never saw me. I know why...he wasn't looking. Too busy texting.

I have pictures of my injuries as well as the bike, if anybody wants to see them

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: REAR ENDED

Postby golden highway » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Wow since you know when in the future it is going to happen now you can prevent it from happening :D just kidding

That is something I always worry about. I am constantly watching behind me. Even when the cars behind me are stopped. I don't know how many times I have been rear ended over the years in my car by someone thinking everyone started moving when they didn't. I hope you heal quickly and get back life as usual.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Sorry to be reading you were hit from behind.

I find this to be perplexing, the part where the guy who hit you wasn't cited yet you were, since it is ALWAYS the responsibility of the following driver to NOT run into the guy in front of him. There's no LAW that says your brake lights have to even be on at a stop. You could have been sitting at the light without your brake pedal or hand grip holding the brake on... so what does the fact that one of your bulbs were burned out have to do with anything? If he had run into a building, would they have cited him then? It's called FAILURE to maintain control of your vehicle... which that jack-ass clearly did fail to do. Claiming you "didn't see" someone doesn't excuse you from hitting the guy (especially a guy on a motorcycle) in the tail end... I hope you sue him for everything he's worth... damn
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 pm

I wanna sue that guy & right now trying to build up a very strong case to come out there with $250,000.00 net + protection to be assured that if something physical / mental manifests, I'm covered. Contingency lawyers take 30%

Or talk to a private guy who just has a set fee & that a-hole who hit me has to pay the bill.

By the way, exactly how many tail lights does a 92 1500SE have on the rear side (including on the trunk)? And it's got 4 brake lights, right?

Thanx

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 pm

I don't understand how a know-it-all cop can judge that a brakelight that doesn't work after a collision was not working before the collision. Smack a red hot light bulb element and what the f**k happens? Take any electrician or auto mechanic to court with you to beat that ticket. There was a similar collision to this near me a while ago. The rider and passenger were at a stop light waiting for it to change, car hit them in the back, they flew off the bike and were hit and killed by a semi going through the light 90* to them.

Scott

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:09 am

hap2 wrote: And it's got 4 brake lights, right?

Thanx

Everything red and shiny may not be a light. On my '86 Interstate the largest red on the back is not a light at all, it is merely a reflector.

Scott

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:06 am

What was the date again :?:

hap2

Postby hap2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:25 am

tfdeputydawg : Nov 15, 2014 at approx. 9:30 PM

been 7 days & everthing thing still hurts...stiff & sore

hap2

Postby hap2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:27 am

Oh ya. On a 92 1500SE, how many TAIL lights is there (not side markers, but tail) & how many BRAKE lights is there.

Thanks

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:16 pm

mrtwowheel wrote:I don't understand how a know-it-all cop can judge that a brakelight that doesn't work after a collision was not working before the collision. Smack a red hot light bulb element and what the f**k happens? Take any electrician or auto mechanic to court with you to beat that ticket. There was a similar collision to this near me a while ago. The rider and passenger were at a stop light waiting for it to change, car hit them in the back, they flew off the bike and were hit and killed by a semi going through the light 90* to them.

Scott

As far as determining info about a light bulb before and post crash, I attended a course at Northwestern taught by engineers and physicists about how to do exactly what you are asking. We examined a lot of different light bulbs and broke them under lot of different conditions to learn to tell the status when actually broken in a crash. No all officers do not receive this training but many forensic officers do.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:03 pm

harvey01 wrote:
mrtwowheel wrote:I don't understand how a know-it-all cop can judge that a brakelight that doesn't work after a collision was not working before the collision. Smack a red hot light bulb element and what the f**k happens? Take any electrician or auto mechanic to court with you to beat that ticket. There was a similar collision to this near me a while ago. The rider and passenger were at a stop light waiting for it to change, car hit them in the back, they flew off the bike and were hit and killed by a semi going through the light 90* to them.

Scott

As far as determining info about a light bulb before and post crash, I attended a course at Northwestern taught by engineers and physicists about how to do exactly what you are asking. We examined a lot of different light bulbs and broke them under lot of different conditions to learn to tell the status when actually broken in a crash. No all officers do not receive this training but many forensic officers do.

I was going to say the same thing - I doubt they would go to the expense of a forensic analysis of a light bulb filament for a ticketable offense, but tungsten filaments bend differently when subjected to impact forces depending on whether or not they are illuminated. In this way, it is possible to tell whether or not a light was on at the time of impact.

However, this should not be an issue. You could have very well been sitting there without your brakes applied, legitimately and legally. Whether or not your brakes were on has nothing to do with the culpability of the other driver in terms of whether or not he saw you.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:03 pm

As said above, you should not be held responsible in any way for this collision. Go to court with your ticket and beat it, and in the mean time, your insurance company should be taking care of you and your damages. Isn't Alberta mandatory government coverage included with license plates like BC and Sask? Anywhere I have ever lived, the driver who hits another from behind is the culpable driver.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

hap2

Postby hap2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:06 pm

In Alberta here all vehicle insurance is private

Return to “Goldwing Chat”