Introduction but I've been here awhile

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
thomba
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Darkside
1993 GL1500A Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R

Introduction but I've been here awhile

Postby thomba » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site for 4 years. Didn't really have anything constructive to contribute so I've just been soaking up the knowledge contained on this site. I have extensively used the How-To-Articles. Much better than the manuals. Thank You Wing Admin & other contributors. Using these directions I have replaced timing belts, removed carbs to replace vacuum hoses, replaced coolant, flushed clutch & brake fluids, replaced front & rear brakes, replaced air comp dessicant, installed progressive springs & rebuilt front shocks, installed rear progressive 416 shocks, did the aux mod and led lights in the radio, replaced running light bulbs with LEDs, did the LED conversion to the Trunk & Saddle bags, installed aux fuse panel, Cut vent hole in windshield and installed vent, installed headlight modulator. Mounted my front & rear tires, replaced wheel bearings & seals, Installed shifter brace & shifter seal, replaced speedometer cable and of course the instructions for disassembling all of the Tupperware were especially helpful. This is by far the best GW forum that I have cast my eyes upon.
A great group here and all I can say is Thank You, Thank You.

Chief Warrant Officer 3 US Navy Ret 1966 -1986
No Wife, No Job, No Worries.
Retired & Love to Ride
Current Rides:
2000 GL1500SE (Red) Darkside
1993 GL1500A (Black) Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R (Red)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Introduction but I've been here awhile

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 pm

Kinda late but welcome :lol:
Its not a requirement to have anything to contribute to say what your up to...
How bout a picture or two..
Any problems youve solved along the way.?
Something new going on?
Didja put a voltmeter on your bike yet?

See what happens when your make yourself known :D
Were gonna be all you in your business now :roll:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 am

Yeah, like virgil said... what do you do, where do you go, who do you go with, what does your bike look like, do you have pictures of your bike and your travels because as Road Rogue says, if there ain't any pictures then it did not happen. LMAO.

Belated Welcome to a belated introduction.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:31 am

I'll chime in as the 3rd wheel... as you've already discovered, there are a lot of good folks here.

I'm always glad when a lurker decides to post instead of just hanging back. I know some are more private... good to "know" you

Hawk
Last edited by HawkeyeGL1200 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 am

thomba wrote:Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site for 4 years. Didn't really have anything constructive to contribute so I've just been soaking up the knowledge contained on this site. I have extensively used the How-To-Articles. Much better than the manuals. Thank You Wing Admin & other contributors. Using these directions I have replaced timing belts, removed carbs to replace vacuum hoses, replaced coolant, flushed clutch & brake fluids, replaced front & rear brakes, replaced air comp dessicant, installed progressive springs & rebuilt front shocks, installed rear progressive 416 shocks, did the aux mod and led lights in the radio, replaced running light bulbs with LEDs, did the LED conversion to the Trunk & Saddle bags, installed aux fuse panel, Cut vent hole in windshield and installed vent, installed headlight modulator. Mounted my front & rear tires, replaced wheel bearings & seals, Installed shifter brace & shifter seal, replaced speedometer cable and of course the instructions for disassembling all of the Tupperware were especially helpful. This is by far the best GW forum that I have cast my eyes upon.

Wow, you've done it all! Sounds like you should be advising others, now that you're an expert yourself! :)

thomba
1993 GL1500A Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R

Postby thomba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:21 am

WingAdmin wrote:
thomba wrote:Hi all,

Wow, you've done it all! Sounds like you should be advising others, now that you're an expert yourself! :)

I have a marine and industrial mechanic background and probably could have accomplished this on my own, however, the directions & photos made it so much easier and would give those hesitant to dive in the confidence to at least try. I am quite satisfied with my accomplishments thanks to you fine folks. While I'm not sure that I should be advising others, I'm certainly not afraid to tackle my own projects. And if I have a hang up I know where to turn for advice. Again, Thank You for sharing your knowledge & expertise.
Retired & Love to Ride
Current Rides:
2005 VTX 1300R (Red)

thomba
1993 GL1500A Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R

Postby thomba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:34 am

virgilmobile wrote:Kinda late but welcome :lol:
Its not a requirement to have anything to contribute to say what your up to...
How bout a picture or two..
Any problems youve solved along the way.?
Something new going on?
Didja put a voltmeter on your bike yet?

See what happens when your make yourself known :D
Were gonna be all you in your business now :roll:

Well, I did add a few DoDads here & there. I have an Analog volt meter mounted in the right hard pocket along with an aux power plug (always powered) for the GPS, a power plug for the battery tender that is powered by the NC leg of the relay that switches on the aux fuse panel thru the NO leg. When the key switch is turned on the battery tender connection is off. I added an aux power plug that is switched (located in the dash where the SE foot warmer knob would be). in that I have an FM transmitter mp3 player with an SD card transmitting my tunes to the radio. On the center dash I have a GPS mount, a battery indicator, and information center with time, date, inside temp, outside temp & voltage. As well as by the key switch a HF battery checker that I disassembled & re purposed and mounted on the underneath side with the lights & overlay on top. Saw this from a Winger on U-tube. Also mounted on the right handlebar is a bicycle computer that measures speed (very accurate with GPS), max speed, average speed, trip distance, trip time, total hrs, total time & clock. Also added an aux power plug to the right rear cubby (always on). I mainly use this to charge my phone. Plug it in and put phone in my back rest pocket.
Attachments
Right side pocket with volt meter, aux power plug & batt tender plug
Right side pocket with volt meter, aux power plug & batt tender plug
center console GPS mount, batt ind & info center
center console GPS mount, batt ind & info center
Right rear cubby aux power
Right rear cubby aux power
Bicycle computer
Bicycle computer
Retired & Love to Ride
Current Rides:
2005 VTX 1300R (Red)

thomba
1993 GL1500A Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R

Postby thomba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

themainviking wrote:Yeah, like virgil said... what do you do, where do you go, who do you go with, what does your bike look like, do you have pictures of your bike and your travels because as Road Rogue says, if there ain't any pictures then it did not happen. LMAO.

Belated Welcome to a belated introduction.

Well, I'm retired, widowed for 5 years, mainly ride solo because everybody else works or only wants to ride to the ice cream shop. In June I rode West solo across NC, TN, AR, OK, TX, KS, MO, IL, IN, KY, WV, VA. A little over 3100 miles. This month I rode (solo) to the VA line and got on the Blue Ridge Parkway and rode it to the end in Cherokee, NC. Spent the night in Maggie Valley, NC. Visited the Wheels Thru Time Motorcycle museum there, went to Deals Gap and rode the Tail of the Dragon both ways. What a beautiful ride. I'm ready to do it again.
Attachments
Blue Ridge Parkway elevation 5000 + ft
Blue Ridge Parkway elevation 5000 + ft
Blue Ridge Parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway
Wheels Thru Time MC Museum
Wheels Thru Time MC Museum
Deals Gap - The Tail of the Dragon
Deals Gap - The Tail of the Dragon
Retired & Love to Ride
Current Rides:
2005 VTX 1300R (Red)

thomba
1993 GL1500A Darkside
2005 VTX 1300R

Postby thomba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:09 am

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I'll chime in as the 3rd wheel... as you've already discovered, there are a lot of good folks here.

I'm always glad when a lurker decides to post instead of just hanging back. I know some are more private... good to "know" you

Hawk

Thanks Hawk, Glad to know you as well.
Retired & Love to Ride
Current Rides:
2005 VTX 1300R (Red)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Well Chief, next year you may just have to ride up to Midland, Ontario, Canada on your VTX to the South Georgian bike week, arranged by a VTX riders forum, or ride that Goldwing to some more of the country. That baboy, as you already know, is made for long distance touring. Thanks for the pictures. Also, thanks for the bio. Happy to know you.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Now that's a well outfitted bike...
I like the idea of using a switching relay to toggle between power outlet and battery tender input....

See...You contributed and didn't even know it. :D
I just have a plug hanging from under the edge of the seat for mine....
Awww SPIT....Ya went and made me want to do this to mine now...

Thanks...another project to do.. Sheesh...

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:30 pm

thomba wrote:Thanks Hawk, Glad to know you as well.

I didn't look at your signature the first time I responded. Thank you for giving so many years of service. Enjoy your retirement. You surely earned every minute.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”