Trailer question

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Trailer question

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Hey all,

So, I decided I will be building a trailer based off the Harbor Freight trailer kit linked below . So here is my question, is a SWIVEL HITCH really needed ?

Most of my riding is Interstate, but I do enjoy a good two lane State Highway too, but I do have a few roads like Pig Trail, Tail Of The Dragon and others.

So, knowing this, do I need a swivel or not ? I do understand it will help, but is it needed ?

Oh, the bike is my 1996 Gl1500, if that makes any difference.

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-cap ... 42708.html

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trailer question

Postby robb » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Swivel is nice, but this is as good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swivel-Tilt-Bal ... 83&vxp=mtr

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:11 am

Thanks Robb, I never knew those existed. . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:31 am

From experience, I say a swivel hitch of any kind isn't needed. I have ridden, pulling a trailer with a ball hitch, to all 4 corners of the country on all types of roads and conditions. Including the dragon and the pig trail. Probably nearing 100 k miles with trailers. 3 bikes and 2 different trailers with no adverse problems at all. Some will say that is can be a safety factor. If the trailer flips for some reason ??? a swivel hitch will prevent the bike from going down also. I suppose on some bikes if you lay it over the hitch might bind and cause damage. The 1500 will lay over on the crash bars without binding a ball hitch. JMHO
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 am

To need, actually NEED, a swivel, you would have to be leaning a lot further than Goldwings normally do. I have worn my peg ends off and not gotten to the point where I have jammed up a normal ball hitch. I am not comfortable leaning any further than that, and neither are most people. A swivel ball like the one on ebay, there is an interesting proposition, but a total swivel is only in case your trailer completely goes upside down, and I think I would rather it break free at that point. To test how far your bike can go before the hitch binds, get two of your strongest buds and between the three of you, lean your Goldwing over till you see where it binds. If you ride leaning further than that, then get a swivel hitch, or that swivel ball from ebay.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:58 pm

I think it could be said that "NO, You don't need a swivel hitch on a trailer." However having towed trailers with two different bikes, I can also say that I would never get a trailer that I intend to tow a lot that does not have a swivel hitch. They are not that expensive, they are not that hard to install, and they might protect me if the trailer bounces on a pothole, curb, debris in the roadway, or whatever and the trailer decides to turn over. I have never had it happen but I did have a situation where my Wing and I went down on its side and the trailer remained attached and both wheels on the roadway. ( MY Wing was hit by a sliding bike on its side that braked to hard on a wet roadway and knocked the wheels loose.)
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:29 pm

My experience pulling my trailer with my GL1500, with a non-swivel hitch, is that it really isn't needed. I can lean to the point where I am grinding my highway pegs, and the trailer is nowhere near binding the hitch.

I would not buy one of those eBay hitches, and here's why (apologies for my horrendous drawing ability):

eBay hitch
eBay hitch

Because there are two longitudinal axis upon which it can swivel, the hitch can - and will - flop back and forth. This allows the front end of trailer tongue to sway back and forth relative to the motorcycle. This in turn steers the trailer back and forth - when the motorcycle is going straight! Using one of these hitches allows the front end of the trailer hitch to move 5-6 inches from side to side even when the motorcycle and trailer are standing still. Not to mention the fact that it can flop up and down as you hit bumps. No thank you.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Good point on the ebay ball WA, had not thought of that.... I have decided I will be adding a swivel to the trailer when I build it, JUST IN CASE.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 am

WingAdmin wrote:My experience pulling my trailer with my GL1500, with a non-swivel hitch, is that it really isn't needed. I can lean to the point where I am grinding my highway pegs, and the trailer is nowhere near binding the hitch.

I would not buy one of those eBay hitches, and here's why (apologies for my horrendous drawing ability):

Hitch.jpg

Because there are two longitudinal axis upon which it can swivel, the hitch can - and will - flop back and forth. This allows the front end of trailer tongue to sway back and forth relative to the motorcycle. This in turn steers the trailer back and forth - when the motorcycle is going straight! Using one of these hitches allows the front end of the trailer hitch to move 5-6 inches from side to side even when the motorcycle and trailer are standing still. Not to mention the fact that it can flop up and down as you hit bumps. No thank you.

Tail wagging the dog. Not me!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:13 pm

there was one of those floppy hitches on my 1500 when I bought it, I removed it after only 400 miles. It was definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog. Do not buy the floppy ball hitch, you will not like it and you do not need it. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “Camping and Trailers”