Greetings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Greetings

Postby dtrider » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Hello from a new Goldwing owner in Boise, ID. Picked up a 2012 GL1800 on Friday, which will be replacing my 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. As much as my wife and I liked the RSV, I gotta say that I love the lower center of gravity on the Wing and how smooth the thing rides. Plus it's kind of nice when I go looking for accessories to find stuff that is designed for the bike, instead of just stuff that will work on the bike.

I'm still fairly new to bikes in general (I'm 55 but only been riding for 3 years - no clue as to what the hell took me so long) so I'll probably have lots of questions as I explore the bike. Hope you all will bear with me.

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Greetings

Postby redial » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:48 am

Welcome Boys and Girl :D, From the Deep Deep South. Get it into a parking lot with a couple of witches hats cones or bins, and practice those slow speed turns. Set the bins closer after a while, and see how you go. Practice long before you put your SO on the back, and then try the same routine with her on the back. There is a thread here, about what a passenger should do, but if you have been riding your RSV for about three years, that should be ok.

Enjoy your GW, and send photos - we all love photos.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:06 am

Welcome dtrider from Okla. Nice ride and in black the fastest color. My brother lives in Garden Valley so ride up there once in a while.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 am

Hello dtrider and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. Very happy you have found us and also you have recently found the sport. The only thing you can do is get some miles under your belt. As was suggested, practice in an empty parking lot so you can get used to how far the bike will lean from one side to the other without dropping takes time. And if you do drop it, you need practice picking it back up. We have how to videos on this site, and it is possible for one person to do this, check it out. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. Although you can check the site for your bike to see if any discussions have been done already on the subject, but if not, fire away. In the meantime, enjoy, and ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks all. Already been working on my turns in the local school parking lot with the Wing (and it corners a lot better than the RSV), but not with the cones. I like that idea. I may have to grab a couple from somewhere this weekend. I used to be a certified bicycle safety instructor and we used a similar technique in those classes (using sponges instead of cones). Dunno why I never thought about doing that with a motorcycle.

Unfortunately I'm more familiar that I like to admit with the technique for picking up a large bike. Had my RSV tip over a couple times on gravel. Since it is more top-heavy than a Goldwing, getting it back upright was an experience. Once I saw the video and practiced a couple times I relized that it really wasn't all that difficult to do by myself. In fact, the hardest part was convincing everybody who saw it go over that I didn't really need all that help.....

I did watch the video yesterday on how to get the Goldwing up onto the centerstand. That was a big help. Since this is my first bike with a centerstand I wasn't familiar with it at all and I about pulled my shoulder out last weekend trying to get it up there. Figured I had to be doing something wrong. Watched the video, went home and popped it up there three times without a problem.

Garden Valley is on one of the popular ride loops in the area. I may actually run out that way this weekend just to get the ride in before it gets too cold. I actually don't mind riding in the cold (been riding all year round), but a couple of the passes out there can get a bit too icy for two wheels.

I have an extra RAM mount that I may put on the bike so that I can mount my camera. Might be interesting to see what kind of shots I can get. If I get any good ones I'll post.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:27 pm

Welcome aboard from northern California
Bill

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:34 pm

Meridian is over by Boise, Caldwell, etc., right? Well.....lots of "straight" roads just to get your experience on. I am lucky, I have been riding for approx 30+ years on and off.....and today's ride was to just go to the store for hot dogs and buns......hmmmm, took 60 miles, lol. Welcome to the biking way of life, yup up!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”