Rear Ended

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Rear Ended

Postby hap2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 pm

If anyone wants to see a picture of my rear ended 1992 1500 from the back-end to tell me if you think it's fixable or no, just tell me (pm) your email addy & I'll send it to u & u can hava look for yourself.

The guy said he never saw me. I'm just thankful he wasn't driving a big truck! When (if u wanna) c it, u'll know y I said that.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Rear Ended

Postby redial » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:49 am

Why not post it on here, then we can all see!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:59 am

Here you go:

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 am

It looks like the saddlebags and side covers are damaged, can't tell about the seat or the rear tire or rim or if it got shoved ahead. Was there any other internal damage? The cosmetic stuff can be fixed, but if anything like bent frame then you can get into lots of money.
Proud member Patriot Guard

hap2

Postby hap2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:35 am

I've got another more pics, but believe it or not, I'm not sure how to post them here. Can someone tell me?

The seat wasn't damaged. but it skid about 20' on it's right side, so the right mirror's all scratched up as well as the right chrome engine bar protector. The right battery cover came right off & the front brake lever...well, I don't know where it went. The impact bent the trailer hitch to the right. Nobody could find it or my eye glasses. The helmet & visor is all scratched up as well.

The bike turned over & sounded like it would start tho.

Do u think it's fixable?

jenagle
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100
1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby jenagle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:48 am

With that kind of damage, how did they know that the tail light was out?

hap2

Postby hap2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 am

I gotta figure how how to posts pics here, then u can c for urself.

jenagle
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100
1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby jenagle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:20 am

Try this link for help. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5647

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 am

The guy said he never saw me.

Then he just admitted to being guilty of inattentive driving. The "I didn't see him" excuse has always just pissed me off. He should be on the hook for the entire cost of getting your ride fixed or replaced.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Apart from the obvious plastic damage (right bag needs to be replaced, as does the center plastic section), the right bag subframe is bent, and it looks like a weld is cracked (colored yellow in my picture below). It's possible that this could be fixed, but the correct alignment of the bags is extremely dependent on this, so they really do need to be just perfect. You'd likely need to replace this subframe.

Subframe damage in yellow
Subframe damage in yellow

jeffers
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby jeffers » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:56 pm

To check for frame damage, I would measure the distance from the rear tire to the frame on each side front and rear of tire....... If you get the same measurements from front and rear of tire,chances are the frame is not bent.. Good luck and I'm glad that you are ok...If need be, the bike can be replaced.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:25 am

Good evening. I wanted to give everybody an update.
Step by step to make it easier to follow:

I had the rear-end accident
The bike got towed to the tow yard.
The a-hole that did this said he never saw me so his ins. co would not accept liability.because out of 4 tail/ brake lights, one was out.
I asked the tow yard people to take a picture of the bike. 3 of those 4 lights still lit up!
I sent my ins adjuster that picture
My adjuster told me the guy admitted he saw more lights on the bike, so he DID c me!
I soon expect them to admit to liability after that admission. The have no basis to refuse liability.

Good news for me...Now time to go after some serious bucks.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:51 am

What's the difference? If he saw one brake light or 16 brake lights, they all mean the same thing! This idiot needs to pay up for not watching what he was doing.
Proud member Patriot Guard

hap2

Postby hap2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:10 am

I agree & he will. I don't mean to be out for blood, but I mean to be out for blood.

I gotta work on how to upload more pics to this site.

hap2

Rear Ended

Postby hap2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:12 am

Just in case, does anyone know where I can get OEM part (including body parts) for a 1992 1500?

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 pm

You can contact local trike shops as they have these parts sitting on shelves.
Canadian Salvage Yards:
www.straightwings.com
www.goldwingking.com
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:33 pm

My first question is, how are YOU?

Unless the motorcycle is a complete wreck, there are folks out and about who can fix nearly anything. I would EXPECT they'll total-loss your bike. In the US, if you "total" a vehicle, you can usually buy it back for a few hundred dollars and then fix it. I don't know how insurance works north of the broder, but I figure the insurance systems are similar if not the same in both countries.

I'd shop around to see if it is possible to find a same-year model (or whatever is completely comaptible with your year-model) Goldwing that has been wrecked in the front end... with bags and lower parts needed in good shape, and buy the whole thing. One never knows when they might need something like an engine, when keeping an older bike running... Or, scrap yours and buy a newer or lower mileage version of the same model, if that's what will make you happy...

That's what's important here, in my opinion, right after making sure you're healthy following the crash, is making sure you're happy with your situation... or as happy as you can be after what that jerk did to you.

hap2 wrote:I agree & he will. I don't mean to be out for blood, but I mean to be out for blood.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:39 pm

hap2 wrote:I agree & he will. I don't mean to be out for blood, but I mean to be out for blood.

See:

Adding pictures to your message

hap2

Postby hap2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:18 pm

I totally agree with ya

I already have someone interested in the motor. (I wonder what I shud ask for the motor). Nothing is wrong with it & to be hones,just for curiosity, I tried to start the bike at the towing yard, & IT STARTED!

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:My first question is, how are YOU? BETTER, but lotsa physical problems

Unless the motorcycle is a complete wreck, there are folks out and about who can fix nearly anything. I would EXPECT they'll total-loss your bike. In the US, if you "total" a vehicle, you can usually buy it back for a few hundred dollars and then fix it. I don't know how insurance works north of the broder, but I figure the insurance systems are similar if not the same in both countries.

I'd shop around to see if it is possible to find a same-year model (or whatever is completely comaptible with your year-model) Goldwing that has been wrecked in the front end... with bags and lower parts needed in good shape, and buy the whole thing. One never knows when they might need something like an engine, when keeping an older bike running... Or, scrap yours and buy a newer or lower mileage version of the same model, if that's what will make you happy...

That's what's important here, in my opinion, right after making sure you're healthy following the crash, is making sure you're happy with your situation... or as happy as you can be after what that jerk did to you.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:31 pm

...And the bozo said he never saw me!
...And the bozo said he never saw me!

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:07 am

In Florida, if the insurance totals the bike you cannot legaly rebuild it and ride it. It goes to a salvage title and can be used for parts. My 98SE was way less damaged than this and it was totaled. My damage was limited to the right front and I thought it was minor but not the insurance co. You have to consider the age of the bike in figuring the value. They paid out for a 2000 SE, and I like it just as much. Still waiting for medical issues.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

hap2

Postby hap2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 pm

seelyark1: how did they not just give u replacement $ for the bike? Here in Alberta, if it can't be repaired, they figure out what the bike is worth at the time of the accident, write it off, & offer that $ to u. With my bike, maybe $4000. is what they'll offer me, so I would have to sue them to replace the bike with on similar...about $7000. Did they just give u a check or who determined the replacement was to be a 2000?

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:00 pm

In BC, if you wish they'll write off the bike & sell it back to you at the salvage rate (BC Government insurance). Often there's enough $$ to rebuild the bike, and have some left over. I did that with my Kawasaki Concours after a deer tried to kill me. Parts cost for the body pieces, locally, was over $7K, but I bought all brand new OEM parts from Ronayers.com, shipped to my door, for $1800.

The bike in the pics looks eminently repairable to me. As WingAdmin points out, that rear subframe looks pretty bent, but I've repaired worse in my time. Heck, if you get a decent settlement, you could probably buy brand new body parts. I see ronayers.com, among others, still carries all the brand new body parts - http://www.ronayers.com/SADDLEBAG-AND-T ... 71492.aspx . As far as the rear subframe is concerned, I expect that trike places probably have lots of 'em underfoot, and replacing it completely would ensure everything lines up properly.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Y? R U interested in fixing it? I will talk to the ins about that, but just return shipping'd probly b 2K.

I'm sure they'll probly just write it off. And if they do that, they'd probly only wanna gimme maybe 4K for it. Then what do I do to replace it? I notice almost a twin bike for 7K. I'm definitely not gonna sign anything even if they offer me 7K. We're talkin broken wrist, whiplash, pain, suffering, inconvenience, loss of wages, loss of sleep, loss of enjoyment of life..basically big bucks. One lawyer said 25 to 30K just for the wrist (dominant hand)

Anyway, what do u think is reasonable in return for they write off the bike? 8K for that replacement (1K to go & get it) or a newer model?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Very sorry about your bike. I worry about this rear end collision too. Hope you not too injured youselfs. Bike can be replace or repaired.

Most insurance refer to bluebook or nada. Any receipts you have for addons will help. Sometimes insurance like to lowball first offer which is very shady imho. If this happens dont accept and tell them what bluebook value is and if you think your bike is worth more then have proof. Show them examples of comparable wings recently for sale and similar to yours. The comparable should be fairly recent.

I no sure if that wing is worth the $$$ to repair and if it worth it if they make title to salvage. I notice right exhaust pipe looks collapsed in and possibly push forward. The subframe that hold bags is probably bent. If you do all work yourself and dont mind salvage title then may be worth it to you. Trying to sell bike with salvage title can be difficults sometime. Me I would never buy one with salvage title. If no salvage title then its still difficult decision. To me I think they going to say bike is totalled. Exhaust muffler is $650, each bag maybe $550, tail fender, subframe, trunk $550, trunk lenses, maybe scratches on mirror and other plastics and this is US price. Probably much more in Canada?

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”