83 aspy repaint

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

83 aspy repaint

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 pm

well, I think my wife is gonna be very "annoyed" with me when she gets home in the morning. today I took a nice long ride, (140 miles round trip), to a motorcycle body shop called ET Airbrush actually, the shop is in Soddy daisy Tennessee. their website address is....http://www.etairbrush.com they do some amazing paint and art work on just about anything you can bring them. Anyway, I rode there to get an "estimate" on repainting my bike.......well, if I want to take out a small bank loan or a 2nd mortgage on my house, I can have it done. I want to change the color from this ugly nimbus grey to 1974 Lincoln diamond firemist green.

attached to this posting IS the actual car and color I had before I sold it to someone back in 1983. its a very nice deep dark green, a little darker than jade green and it was outstanding. a 22' rolling yacht on 4 wheels. I want it to be exactly the same one solid color, but with white pin strips that follow the factory lines on the fairing, tank, side covers, saddlebags, and trunk, and 2 matching helmets with eagle faces on them, and also having the trailer painted to match the bike. black trailer frame with green fenders and white stripes, the cargo pod bottom will be black and the top section will be green with white stripes and a large eagle on the back. where I have the trailer tag mounted, im going to have the eagle's eyes with little red LED lights that go on when I put the brake light on. I think that will look so cool. now I just have to tell my wife I want to do this and hope she doesn't have me committed or throw ME out and keep the bike LOL.

Stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.
Attachments

jeffers
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade

Re: 83 aspy repaint

Postby jeffers » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Sounds like that would be beautiful!!!! Just take the wife out for a nice dinner and at dinner she will ask you what you are up to, and then you can break it to her gently...LOL!!!!!

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:59 am

hey Jeffers:

LOL break it to her gently?????? ROFLMAO :lol: I got a better chance to see GOD before that happens. this is something that I've talked to her about for a long time, actually since I first got the bike 2 years ago, not this particular color, but its been talked about. its an ongoing "discussion" with the thoughts of spending upwards to $1,000.00. little did I know it would cost over $3200.00 and that's just for the bike and 2 helmets, NOT including the trailer, that's another $1,000.00...........break it to her gently huh, yeah, right, sure, uh huh. I already have close to 2 grand in new parts and service already into this bike. see, originally I traded a 81 Honda GL500i silverwing interstate that I put almost the same amount into INCLUDING a total repaint. above is a photo of my silverwing when I first got it after I had it repainted and after I sunk about 2 grand into.

when I first got this Goldwing, it was a mess, the PO never took care of it, in fact, it was stolen and vandalized before he got it back. if you go thru my postings about this g/w, you'll see what I had to do to get it to the point where it is now. below is a photo of it as it sits now. its almost finished, in fact, this morning I ordered a new seat for it because the one that's currently on it is cloth and the drivers section is ripped apart and some of the foam is missing. it looks like crap. I ride this bike all year round. as long as there's no ice or snow on the ground, im on it. I took this g/w for a ride down to Florida this past June, and for the 900 mile ride, this bike didn't use more than $75.00 in fuel for the entire trip down and I have all the gas receipts to prove it. its a great running bike and I have NO intentions on getting rid of it, unless of course someone was to offer me 8 or 9 grand after I have it repainted along with the matching trailer :) let me put it this way, eBay and PayPal knows me on a first name basics lol.

Stuart.
Attachments

jeffers

Postby jeffers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:53 pm

I Love the bike and it sure would be nice to get it all finished up the way you want it,,,I wish you well on that...Please post some pics when finished.. I also wish you well on you and your wife coming to terms on the situation....If she rides with you, just tell her it's all just for her LMAO!!!!!!!Don't mean to be funny....well I guess I do, but just trying to see things on the comical side....Seriously though, I hope all goes well. Please keep me informed of how things go....very curious.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 pm

well, I talked some more about it with her and I have come to the decision that since I know how and already HAVE repainted cars and commercial vehicles as I took auto body in high school as a major, and have worked in a few body shops (in my youth), im going to do this repaint myself. all I need is to get a nice small pancake compressor, and one of my friends has the rest of the equipment needed, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to do this myself. the cost of the paint isn't the problem, the problem is the labor involved in taking all the bike's plastics completely apart, all the little emblems and clips that hold them on, completely stripping the fairing, IE: signals, windshield, mirrors, moldings, headlight etc etc. sanding everything down and prepping everything to get it ready for painting, THATS where all the hard work comes in to play, and since everything on these older wings are mostly plastic, I need to be very careful of how I sand everything down to the bare plastic. don't want to dig down to where I would need to put filler,(nitro Stan), that red stuff you need to use a small plastic squeegee to spread it on with and wait about an hour for it to dry before you can sand any of it down. a lot of body shops use this to smooth out shallow scratch marks in the panels. its very sandable stuff and it fills in many scratch marks that if left untreated, would show up in the final job and once the paint is done if the scratch is still there, there's nothing you can do about it without sanding the fresh paint back down to the primer coat and starting over.

Stuart.

jeffers

Postby jeffers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:08 pm

I agree... You are definitely in for a lot of work, but hopefully it will all be worth it when you stand back and see the end results,,,,and the smile not only on your face but also your wife's...

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:18 am

I was going to recommend that you take a course, and use your GW as a project. (The thought came to me while going through the thread.) It would have been a less expensive approach to your desire to be green, without incurring the wrath of the wife. This sounds like you will be tied up for the winter :D , but the outcome should be great, and self satisfying.

I suppose you remember that this type of painting works best when the temperature is warmer, and I was always told to make sure you paint before 10am so that the maximum amount of heat can get into the paint to cure it better. The warmer bit is probably for Oz, as even our winter is not that bad, compared to the frozen North. Keep us posted on your progress.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:10 am

hey redial.......ltns, glad to hear your still among us. yes, I remember that it should be painted in warmer temps, I have a couple heat lamps I can use and a couple of electric heaters also........Jeffers, yes, I know its gonna be a hard job to do, but the end results WILL justify the means. I know what im capable of and I do remember the "basics" of vehicle painting, but this is going to be a bit different, I've never painted on plastic before so this will be a challenge.

thanks to the both of you for your encouragement on this project. I'll definitely keep y'all posted. in fact, I was up until 1:30am last night looking at air compressors, spray guns, and paint supplies from different companies. the biggest investment is getting a good compressor. I figure that's gonna run me between 100-200 dollars. the paint and supplies are gonna be another 200-300 dollars. I'll do the bike first, then wait to see how that turns out, then see about painting the trailer to match it. the helmets I can take to the paint shop and let them do those.

right now, I have the back of the bike torn down and waiting for my new shocks to arrive. I bought a pair of "heavy duty" shocks last week on eBay because of the weight of the bike and my trailer, they were 13.45" which was about 1" over stock length. they made the bike sit up higher in the back which I liked, but they were so stiff that every time I hit a bump, It felt like I was riding a hard tail Harley or a bobber and not a soft cushiony g/w. I even had a friend of mine ride on it with me and it STILL road hard as a rock. I hit a bridge expansion joint out on the interstate the other day at 75mph and I could swear that the back wheel came up off the ground, and when it came back down, it jarred my back so bad that today I can barely walk. I called the company I got the shocks from and told them about it and I said I was sending them back for a pair of regular duty and stock height pair. Im also waiting on my new seat to arrive, so right now, the bike torn apart and is gonna be sitting until next Friday so I can put it all back together again. maybe by then my back will be better. right now, im having to use my cane to can stand up straight and be able to walk. geese, I feel like a 90 year old man. the pain is running from the lower right side of my back at the waist line down my right leg. it feels like someone hit me in the back with a sledge hammer.

anyways........I'll keep ya's posted on my progress.

Stuart, a.k.a roadwanderer2.

redial

Postby redial » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:20 am

I would have started on the trailer first, just to hone my skills before attacking the bike. Something to consider, anyway.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:28 pm

hey redial:

I did consider that, but unfortunetly, the surface of the trailer isn't smooth. its all rough plastic. its not a regular motorcycle trailer, its a sears xcargo pod that I bought at a flea market for $20.00 that is supposed to attached to a vehicle's roof, not bolted down to a trailer. the surface is rather crinkly and painting it is gonna be a hard job. there's nothing I can do to make it smooth. attached above is a photo of the exact same pod I have, but this one is painted in all black. as you can see, the surface isn't smooth. if you enlarge the photo then zoom up to 200% you'll see what im talking about.

if you take a look at my other postings I have that shows the bike and trailer attached, you can left click on the photo to enlarge it, you'll see what im talking about. the frame and fenders of the trailer are metal, so that's all the smooth surfaces I have to work with. my knowledge and skills on vehicle painting is excellent, I have no worries about doing this paint job myself. its basically all prep work to get it ready for paint. I am very good at prepping, sanding and using masking tape. in fact, when I worked at a few body shops, that was my main job, getting the vehicles ready for paint and I was very good at it.

if you also take a look at my GL500i silverwing interstate in one of my other photos, after I got it back from a body shop that did a horrible paint job on it, I had to sand it all back down to the primer surface, (and didn't have to take it all back down to the bare plastic, which I mentioned in my other posting that I've never done that before) and repaint almost the entire bike over again myself, but that was about 3 years ago and im a little "rusty". this will be just a matter of getting some "practice testing" on some spare plastic bike parts I have laying around before I start doing the final coats of paint on the bike. I plan on spraying between 2-4 layers of primer, 4-5 coats of base, and after its all dry, im gonna do white pin strips that will follow the factory strip lines on everything. then go over the bike with 6-7 layers of clear coat. if everything goes the way it should, this bike is gonna look awesome when im finished with it.

stuart.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I'd rather have someone poke me in the eye with a sharp stick than paint anything... but having written that, I'd paint the bike myself before I paid someone that much money to do it...

You can buy a "spare" bike and ride it while you're painting the current one, then sell the spare when the painting is complete and come out way ahead...

I do like the color. Please keep the thread update with pictures of your progress.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

jeffers

Postby jeffers » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:03 pm

I'm glad that you have that experience.. That'll help you all through this project....GO FOR IT!!!! :D

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:09 pm

hey Jeffers, trust me, so am I and I know it'll turn out great. all it'll take is time patience and most of all, the prep work to get it right...........Hawkeye, I knew it was gonna cost a "few bucks" I had no idea it was gonna be THAT expensive, and after giving it a lot of thought and talking it over with my wife, even she agrees that I would be better off doing this job myself, not only for the cost savings, but the satisfaction of knowing I did it and I did it good. everything I've done on this bike so far I've done myself with the exception of replacing the front wheel bearings. hell, I've even replaced both tires last year with nothing but the ground and 2 large flat head screw drivers lol. I KNOW I can do this.

this website is a GOD SEND. wingadmin, and all you other people, if it weren't for you and this site, I wouldn't have been able to do most of this work myself. you've all been such an inspiration and help to me you have no idea. I've gone from knowing almost nothing about working on an old g/w to what I've accomplished on this bike with everyone's help from this site. the Q&A'S and photo descriptions are great and EXTREAMLY helpful. my next "project" down the road a ways if I dare to tackle it will be doing a "poor boy" alt conversion.

here's a list of what I've done on this bike already by myself.......... complete NEW exhaust system that I found in a bike salvage yard sitting the bottom of a shelf, front and rear brake pads and calipers, rebuilt the rear brake m/c, new windshield, replaced the entire LCD dash, new electronic speedo gear at the front wheel, new rear bumper with trailer hitch and rewired all the bumper lights to turn on with a toggle switch I installed on the lower right side of the fairing, new ignition switch with an original g/w key that says "aspencade" on it WITH wire harness, fuel tank door lock, replaced ALL the locks on the saddlebags, removed the stock air shock compressor, ran new air filler lines with new fork tops so I can manually fill the front forks, re-taped the air inlets on the tops of the rear shocks to NPT to put manual fill valves, took a trunk from an 86 Kawasaki voyager vii and adapted it to fit my g/w's rear luggage rack, battery box, replaced the entire stereo system with an updated one, installed 2 6x9 fairing mounted speakers, 1 12v power outlet, 1 12v cigarette lighter, all new LCD dash bulbs,(so I can see my gauges at night) thermostat and cooling temp switch, and of course the normal oil/filter changes and spark plugs, and that's just some of the things I've done to this g/w. oh yeah, new drivers floorboards with heel-toe shifter, new spring loaded rear shocks, drained and refilled the front forks, and installed a new voltage regulator/rectifier last week. 99.5% of everything I've had to purchase for this bike came from eBay and so far, I haven't had one problem with anything I've purchased. next week I should be getting my new seat and spare dash light bulbs, and the rear shocks I had to take back off and return them for a different set, also hard wired in a 5 to 4 wire trailer light converter and installed and rewired new lights for my pull behind trailer. so, I've been doing a LOT to this bike as you can see by the posted photos of it. this paint work is going to be the final touches I do to this bike, so its GOT to come out good.

I want this bike to stand out in a crowd like it does already, but I want it to be good enough to enter in a few car/bike shows just on the merits of the paint work itself and its age. as it is right now, I can pull up next to custom bikes, Harleys, bobbers, trikes and eventually I get a crowd of people gathering around my bike asking me questions about it and I want to make it look as good as possible. im even thinking about ordering a custom made seat cover for my new seat. attached are 2 photos of the seat, the one that's on it right now and being changed next week with a stock seat that already has a new black cover on it, and the new custom made cover I want to put on it....eventually lol. the new cover is going to be black with green stitching and green piping to match the bike's color with a green Goldwing emblem and the word Goldwing on it. this bike has almost 99,000 miles on it and its STILL running strong. this bike will go from 0 to 90 in a heartbeat. case in point.........if im entering a lane of traffic from an on ramp out on the interstate at 40mph in OD, and I look back and see I have a lot of traffic coming behind me, I shift down to 3rd, and by the time I get back into OD, im hitting almost 100mph lol, then I slow down to a mild 75mph. im gonna need a radar detector pretty soon LOL.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:33 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I'd rather have someone poke me in the eye with a sharp stick than paint anything... but having written that, I'd paint the bike myself before I paid someone that much money to do it...

You can buy a "spare" bike and ride it while you're painting the current one, then sell the spare when the painting is complete and come out way ahead...

I do like the color. Please keep the thread update with pictures of your progress.

hey Hawkeye, the only way I would by a spare bike is for parts, one with all the "extra" chrome pieces would be nice too. chrome engine side covers, fuel pump cover, carb and plug wire covers, front rotor covers with lights :D, im even thinking about putting an under the motor lite kit on it, (in green of course to match the bike's color), and other light kits for the bottoms of the saddlebags, under the fairing and down the fork tubes. also thinking about getting a pair of passenger arm rests for when my wife rides with me so she's more comfortable and feels more "secure" sitting on the back of it. once I get started on the paint job, it should only take me about 1-2 weeks from start to finish.

stuart.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 pm

I was only thinking in terms of "down-time" and the not being able to ride.

I'm kind of a rat-bike riding kind of guy. My favorite color motorcycle is flat black LOL..

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey Hawkeye, the only way I would by a spare bike is for parts, one with all the "extra" chrome pieces would be nice too. chrome engine side covers, fuel pump cover, carb and plug wire covers, front rotor covers with lights :D, im even thinking about putting an under the motor lite kit on it, (in green of course to match the bike's color), and other light kits for the bottoms of the saddlebags, under the fairing and down the fork tubes. also thinking about getting a pair of passenger arm rests for when my wife rides with me so she's more comfortable and feels more "secure" sitting on the back of it. once I get started on the paint job, it should only take me about 1-2 weeks from start to finish.

stuart.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:08 pm

hey Hawkeye:

I don't really care about the "down time" much, this should only take a couple of weeks, and with the colder weather coming in the next week or so, this might be the perfect time to do it.

some "rat-bikes" are pretty cool looking, but for the type of riding I do, (mostly interstate highways), I need something that's a little more "comfortable". as far as your favorite color goes, you COULD always repaint your g/w flat black, or do a combo with flat black and some of the chrome blacked out. I've see that on a few g/w's before. gives them a "stealth" look.

anyways.............. never a dull moment around here. after I signed off and went to bed, I was back up again in about a hour. my b/p and puls spiked way up, (220/137 and my puls was up at 145bpm) and my heart went into "A" fib again. it was like it was sending out Morse code. I went to my local hospital which is only about a half mile from where I live, and was admitted into the ICU and just got home a few minutes ago. both of my arms feel like pin cushions from all the needles and IV's they stuck me with and they are all black and blue. it was a mess, my pressure was so high that every time they stuck me, my blood shot out all over the bed sheets, mattress, me, and the RN's. it took from 1230am to about 7am this morning to get my b/p and heart rate back down to normal.

right now, im exhausted, so im gonna go lay down and rest. I'll post more tomorrow after I go see my regular Dr to find out what's going on with me.

stuart.

redial

Postby redial » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Hey there Stuart, you take care of yourself, we all want to see pics of the finished product, not of the finished man :o . That BP and pulse would be enough to send me into a stroke, I think. Be safe, and play safe.
Len in Kapunda

sapps
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200a Aspencade

Postby sapps » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:19 pm

hawk I pray everything comes out well at the doctors

jeffers

Postby jeffers » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Please take care of yourself. Take it easy at least until you find out what the health problems are and get yourself back on your feet. you seem like a really cool guy and we all look forward to chatting with you in the future.. You are in my prayers.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 pm

good evenin guys: first off, let me thank each and everyone of you guys for your thoughts and prayers, I really appreciate it.

well, I made it thru another day......im still kickin an breathin. lol. turns out someone down the line wrote the wrong mg dosage of my heart medication on my refill and never told anyone, so I've been taking 1/3rd the required dosage for the past 2 months. I never told anyone this, (not even my wife), but while I was down in Florida last June, I went to the area veterans clinic with chest pains and in "A" fib, and the next thing I knew I was being transported by ambulance from the clinic to the Florida medical center hospital's CCU for 24 hours. I didn't want to tell my wife about it because I didn't want her to worry about me because I was so far from home and her not being able to get down there to me. if it was something more serious, like open heart surgery or needing a pacemaker, I would have called her and told her. the VA clinic even confiscated my bike keys so I wouldn't say no to going to the hospital and drive away. I've been dealing with this problem for the past 4 years now and it just comes and goes. thank GOD I know when its starting to happen and know what to do when it does happen. if I cant get it under control within an hour after taking my aspirins and 2 nitro pills, I go right to the hospital. right now at this minute, I feel good, but I can go into "A" fib at any time and it could last for 10 minutes to hours or longer. last time this happened it took almost 7 hours to get my heart rate down from 145bpm to under 70pbm where its supposed to be.

as of right now, the bike paint project is on hold until I see my heart dr next week, and until then, im not doing anything strenuous to make my heart act up. but like I said earlier, this could start up at any time, or I could be ok for days, weeks or months.

I'll keep yawl posted.

again, thank you all for your concerns and prayers,

stuart.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Just a couple of thoughts and comments... sorry you're dealing with heart / blood pressure / health issues... The painting can wait until you get your health squared away.

Not "knowing" you ... but feeling like I know you some from your words here, I would respectfully URGE you to take care of yourself. Everything else is secondary to that... Your family surely would back me up on this, and quite frankly, I'm feeling a little selfish here when I write that I love to read stories about working on and riding old motorcycles. If you don't take care of yourself, your story won't be told and I won't get the joy of sharing the experience with you... so I am selfish for wanting you to take care of yourself, so you will tell us all, and who us all the great work you'll be performing on your Oldwing...

Best regards,
Hawk

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 pm

hey hawkeye:
trust me, your not sounding selfish, I appreciate what anyone says to me, especially about my health issues. unfortunately this is something I have to deal with and have BEEN dealing with for the past 3-4 years now INCLUDING angina attackes. I never know when its going to happen, but I DO know what to do WHEN it starts to happen. I do NOT dismiss it as heartburn or something that's not important. now, this last episode started about 5 minutes after I climbed into bed, and thank GOD I didn't fall asleep right away and felt this coming on. when this starts, I feel my heart beat up in my throat and the sides of my head starts pounding. the first thing I do is check my puls by hand, that's how I know im in "A" fib because my heart beats like my heart is sending Morse code, (very erratically and not a constant steady beat), then I check it with my b/p monitor which also gives me a reading on my plus. the 2nd thing I do is take 2-81mg aspirins, wait about 15 minutes then check my b/p again with my monitor, if it still isn't down I take 1 nitro pill, wait another 15 minutes and check my myself with my monitor again, if its still not down, I take one more nitro pill and wait another 15 minutes to check with my monitor. if its still too high, (145/120, puls at or over 100) I say to my wife "ok, time to go to the ER" and we go. fortunately the hospital is only 4/10ths of a mile from where we live, so im there in about 3-4 minutes, and after checking in, which takes about 5 minutes or so, depending on how crowded they are im in the ER hooked up to heart and b/p monitors with iv's in both arms and what ever else needs to be done to get my b/p and puls back down. sometimes it only take a half hour with the meds they give me, and sometimes, like yesterday it took 13 hours. my NORMAL b/p and puls is 100/80 and puls at or below 72. when I got to the ER, I was the only one there, so I was taken into the back and they got started working on me in about 3 minutes. I take my Rx meds every day WITHOUT fail. I have to, the alternative is either be above ground, or below ground, and im NOT ready to be planted below ground just yet lol. I have to much to do yet before I go. like I said earlier, everything is on hold until I see my cardiologist next week. im not doing ANYTHING that will put ANY stress on me OR my heart. PERIOD. and believe it or not, im even holding off on having relations with my wife until I find out if im healthy enough for it. I know THAT might sound selfish, but she has to understand, its either this, or never having it with me again because it COULD kill me.

believe me, your not sounding selfish. your not the only one that I hear this from ;)

stuart.

jeffers

Postby jeffers » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Believe me...I know what heart problems are like/ I had a heart attack in July of 2011, and then another in September 2011, which required open heart surgery. And then one of the four bypasses failed and I was on the edge of having another heart attack. but luckily they caught it in time and placed 2 more stents...total of 3. Also, like you I have severe unstable angina and you never know when it's going to kick in. I just keep the nitro pills handy and take as needed. I am only 50 and I have a lot of health problems like fibromyalgia, severe arthritis in my discs, severe sciatica on both sides, stage 3 COPD, and venous insufficiency in both legs. That's why I only ride when I feel good enough to do so. I went from working hard every day to not being able to work at all and it is driving me crazy!!!! I worked as a carpenter for 30 years and I sure miss it. I guess now I just have to enjoy my retirement as much as I can and just keep on plugging along. I too just do what I feel I can do and then let it go for another day. I refuse to over do it. but on the other hand, I also refuse to let it get the best of me. I'm glad that you have the common sense to take it easy and not overdo it....That will help you in the long run.. GOD bless.....

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:40 pm

hey Jeffers:

I know what its like not being able to work, I was working in a garage (s) for as far back as I can remember. my last job was with Midas and meineke for a total of 34 years, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week), when an on the job injury forced me to retire back in 1994 and I also miss my job. I was VERY good at it. custom pipe bending for race cars, show vehicles, antiques, limos, motorhomes, etc etc was my specialty. as far as I know, I've never had a REAL heart attack, but this angina and "A" fib is a real pain in the a**. I've been healthy for the most part of my life and this is a problem that started a few years ago that I have to get used to having every once in a while. I also have COPD, and CAD, high blood pressure, (which is for the most part is under control), cholesterol and now starting to have emphysema too which all ran in my biological family and I guess I inherited these problems from them. out of all the family I had, both adopted and biological, im the only left alive. they've all passed between 10-15 years ago all of them from one form of cancer or another. thank GOD that's not one of my problems. Im the same way you are when it comes to doing things, but I have a tendency to overdue it and I get tired real quick. I tried to cut the lawn on my property last week, and after making 3 passes with my gas push mower, I had to stop. I was out of breath, my heart and chest started pounding, and I said, "that's it, I need to stop before I drop dead". now my wife has to do it, and even though she likes doing it, it pisses me off that I cant even do a simple thing like taking care of my own property. I watch her doing it and I get mad at myself that I cant do it, but what can I do, I cant risk a heart attack just from mowing a 1/4 acre of lawn. so right now, I live day by day and hope this wont happen again for another few months. I have new heart meds now and I'll know how they are working within a week or 2, but for now, I have to take it easy till then.

GOD bless you too Jeffers,

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:06 am

good morning ppl's:

well, my new seat arrived yesterday evening via fedex, and I took it out of the box and set it down on the bike just to see what I looks like, and it looks FANTASTIC. what a difference it makes in the bike. attached is 2 photos of what my new seat looks like..........also attached is a "test" painting with the new color choice on a full engine side panel that came off my bike. these 2 large side panels were on the bike when I first got it, and I really didn't care for them. they hid the entire sides of the engine. the bad part about these covers is the one for the right side, there's no opening to check or fill the oil, so if you had to check or add oil to the motor, you have to remove the entire side panel to do it, so I simply took them off and left them off. also, they hold in ALL of the engine heat that these motors put out. not good when your riding in the winter and need the extra warmth from the motor. I scuffed down the original grey color with a "scotch-brite" pad, and without priming it, I sprayed over it, compounded it down in a few places by hand, then went over it with clear coat. you can see the difference from where I hand compounded it and didn't do it at all. not too shabby considdereing I used spray can paint. im going to go and get a compressor and the proper equiptment to do this job the way it SHOULD be done. this was only a "test" to see if my color choice was good. color choice is a 1974 Lincoln green diamond firemist.

stuart.
Attachments

Return to “Goldwing Chat”