Thoughts on this please

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Thoughts on this please

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 am

Okay, I have started getting the parts I need, I want to build, what I have see called, a wheeless trailer for the bike.

For the "box" I have picked up a Vetter trunk, I will pick up the steel this weekend , and also the LED lights.

Here is my plan :

1.25" square tubing , ABOUT 24" long as the main support. (still need to measure total length needed)
a 16th " thick steel plate about 18"x18" welded to the 1.25" tongue (still got to measure that too)
bolt the box to the plate
I am putting 2 oval gasket mount LED tail lights in place of the stock four round tail lights the VETTER had on it, plus 2 LED side marker lights (red)

What are your thoughts on this project. I will only be carrying a LIGHT load in this.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Thoughts on this please

Postby dingdong » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:02 pm

If you aren't going to build a steel frame around the box, I believe I would go with at least 1/8" plate. I/16 won't provide much support. In fact I probably would get a Vetter trunk mount and adapt it to fit the "tongue".
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Depending on the amount of weight you plan to carry in the "trailer" I would be inclined to agree with dingdong. If you don't want to use 1/8" plate, you could also run a 1/4" round "bead" around the lower side of the sheet metal, welded about every 2-3" with 1" tacks to stiffen the bottom piece. The ends of the round stock would be "terminated" at the large tube steel you are using to support the whole box. Steel tubing would work too, but bending right-angles in 1/4" round can be done by hand (with the help of a hammer) in a bench vice without kinking and without heat. Tubing would require the use of a tubing bender to keep the corners from caving in.

Another trick for stiffening sheet metal is to bend a slight flange (as little as 1/2") on the outside perimeter. If you have access to a brake, you could bend the flanges down, tack the corners together and that would stiffen the lower piece significantly over the strength of a simple flat piece. The last trick I'll mention is to bend a slight X pattern in the bottom, diagonally from corner to corner... just a slight crease in each direction is also a means to stiffen a flat piece of sheet metal without welding, using a thicker piece of material or bending a flange on the lower side of the piece.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:07 pm

those are good ideas, Thanks for the heads up. . . I may go 1/8" plate AND add a "frame" of 1/2" angle iron around the outer edge of the plate.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”