Goldwing and GPS

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Seoladh
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE
1998 Honda ACE 1100
1995 Magna 750 CD

Goldwing and GPS

Postby Seoladh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:06 am

I am relatively knew to GoldwingDoc. I have loved Hondas for many years and now have the 99ACE, 95 Magna 750 and the 1998 1500 SE. I love my Goldwing and ride it more than the others. Recently I traveled to the Blue Ridge. Havin navigated many years sailing I have been a paper map person and only recently put GPS on the boat. Now I want to include a GPS on the bike. So, I would love to hear the Pros and Cons from fellow Goldwing Riders on their GPS, what models work and what do not. I would prefer to purchase one that works and not go through the test phases y'all have already done. I have heard a lot of Garmin especially the zuma 55 and Tom Tom.

I would really appreciate hearing from Godwing Riders here.

Ride safe & forever,
Seo

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Goldwing and GPS

Postby harvey01 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:32 am

I have a Garmin 660 on my 04 Wing. It was easy to mount, is powered from the bike, talks to me, and is easy to see unless the sun is at a certain angle.

I confess though that I am an old fashioned map guy and really like to pick my route off maps and I have used Streets mapping software and a Delorme set before that. I prefer to start with maps and then go to the software as I am usually looking for the twistiest back roads I can find.

If I am following a route with the GPS, I also have a problem sticking to it as I may see a side road that looks interesting and I will head that way. I have learned that for me the best way is to put destinations in the GPS but don't ask it to route me until I need to head to the destination then bring that up and tell it to take me there. If I am staying in an area for more than one night I will put in the Hotel/motel and then when out riding I can just punch that in and tell it to take me there.

But I normally have a map of the area handy.

I do find that the GPS is wonderful for locating gas stations, motels, and places to eat. When you are in the boonies and it is past lunchtime, it can take you to the nearest known location.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:51 pm

I've been using a TomTom on my bike for years now. I installed a Glare Stomper shield to get rid of glare on the screen. It is not an outdoor (waterproof) GPS, but I have it behind the windscreen (mounted on the left speaker grille), and if I am riding through a tremendous downpour, I stick a ziplock bag over it and zip the bottom closed as far as it will go. That's worked great for me for years.

Seoladh
1998 Honda ACE 1100
1995 Magna 750 CD

Postby Seoladh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks and please keep the replies coming. I have head that the Garmin nuvi works well too; has anyone tried this version? There is, for me, cost vs quality issues. I know its not the standard motorcycle zumi but it cost far less and it's not water resistant but for the occasional rain there is alway zip lock bags as temporary cover.
Please continue replying, Thanks.
Ride safe & forever,
Seo

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:53 am

I use a Nuvi 550 which is a motorcycle unit mounted up on the dash(made my own mount)behind the windshield.Right in your line of sight,no need to take your eyes off of the road in front of you.Best screen I've seen on any of the cheaper waterproof units.Biggest downfall is no Bluetooth capabilities if you're into that.I wish I had bought 2 of these as they 're no longer available new.The new unit cost me around $270 to my door with a RAM motorcycle mount and the usual car mounts.The other thing I like about this one is that you can actually pop the battery out and replace it if necessary(plug and play).Not sure if you could find one of these refurbed somewhere or not,but if you did they are a good unit IMHO.

BTW Stay far,far away from Magellan.Possibly the worst customer service in the history of the world.I had a Magellan 2500T crossover unit which is a car,boat,atv, bike waterproof unit.It got rained on one day and quit.Magellan wouldn't even fix it.Said they'd be happy to sell me another though.At the time I had my old Garmin i5 (non-waterproof) mounted as well.It got the same amount of rain and guess which one is still working to this day.
Don't have a picture of the unit in the mount,but here's where it lives.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 am

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that I brought over from my old bike. In addition to the GPS, it also has an XM receiver plus software to play audio books from Audible.com. Great for long trips.

As to the GPS itself, I'm like harvey01. I mostly like it when I'm ready to head for the final destination or find a hotel/gas station/lunch stop. I'll use the Garmin Base Camp software on the PC to generally plan out the route before I leave, but I won't necessarily hold to it. After all, exploring new routes is part of the fun of having a bike.

If you do go with a Garmin, make sure that the model you get will support map updates, and then buy the lifetime update subscription (if the unit doesn't come with it). It's only about $90, but in addition to updated roads it also gets you updates for the hotel/gas station/lunch stop data. Nothing like routing to a gas station in a small town, just to find out that it closed two years ago and your database didn't know about it.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:08 am

Count me among the Garmin fans. I have several (7 or 8, at last count), with one on the boat (full CHS marine charts on that one), one in each of the cars, and one dedicated to the bike.

One thing that I, personally, demand in my motorcycle's GPS is an audio-out jack. I do NOT like looking at the screen while I'm riding (it's distracting enough on 4 wheels), and with Garmin's turn-to-turn directions, I rarely if ever actually look at the GPS.

On my 1500, I installed an iSimple is31 box, which allows my GPS to talk to me through the OEM Honda stereo/intercom/CB system. The GPS is fully integrated this way, and if I'm listening to tunes (or, my wife!) the GPS integrates perfectly...just as if Honda had built it in.

The Garmin on my bike is an old Nuvi 750 I've had since new (it has a really good built-in MP3 player, too!), and I added lifetime map updates to it to keep it up to date. Some of the older ones have some nice features you can't get on the newer ones, like tons of selections of voices (ALL of them with spoken street names - my newest one only has several voices, but only one with this feature), audio-out (only the extremely high-end ones have this now) and MP3 (I'm not sure if this is available on any of them, now).

The downside is that my Nuvi is not waterproof (actually, I suspect it's water absorbent!), but I carry a suitably-sized Ziploc bag with me, and just pull it over the top of the unit when it rains. This has worked perfectly, so far. Of course, RAM makes a waterproof box for these GPS units, if one is so-inclined.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:44 am

Garmin Zumo units are without a doubt the best possible GPS for motorcycles. They were designed for exactly that. They are however, expensive, so Nuvis are just as good for navigating but need to be kept out of the rain.

I used to sail a 38 foot sloop out of Stuart Florida, and used Panasonic toughbooks as navigation computers. I found them to be lots better than a simple GPS and as good or better than chartplotter gear, although I had integrated stuff on the boat, and the toughbooks were waterproof and pretty much shockproof. All the coastal charts for both coasts and the Caribbean are readily available free for download and a lot of European charts can be found free also. I still have three Panasonic toughbooks here now, even though I do not sail any longer. Nobody wants them, so here they sit, being charged every sixty days to keep the batteries alive.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 am

I've been using a Garmmin Nuvi 1450 for about 4 years now. It's been a great GPS. Use a RAM mount to mount it on the left handlebar. Only thing I wish it had was an audio out port so I could use WingAdmin's gizmo to get the sound into the helmet, but it's not a deal breaker. The internal battery doesn;t last that long but I use it with an external cord and then I get traffic too.

This is the best picture I have right now.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Seoladh
1998 Honda ACE 1100
1995 Magna 750 CD

Postby Seoladh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:43 am

I want to thank everyone who responded. After research and your'alls advice I did infact purchased a Garmin and found a factory refurbished Zumo 350 LM for a very good price. It will arrive this week and after I install it and run with it a few times I will write a performance summary.
Thanks and I hope for the best here.
Ride safe & forever,
Seo

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:I use a Nuvi 550 which is a motorcycle unit mounted up on the dash(made my own mount)behind the windshield.Right in your line of sight,no need to take your eyes off of the road in front of you.

Hey Chris - I really like the idea of mounting the GPS up on the dash. Any chance you could get a photo or two of how it is actually attached? I may try to do the same thing with mine.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Seoladh
1998 Honda ACE 1100
1995 Magna 750 CD

Postby Seoladh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

I too would like to see your custom mount. If you could take some pictures it would be great.
Ride safe & forever,
Seo

timdiver,,64
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 goldwing

Postby timdiver,,64 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 pm

Here's one more thought. My cell phone has a holder that attaches to my tank with a suction cup. I use an app called "scout". This is a very powerful GPS app with its on internal maps so a network connection is not necessary. Hook up to a simple earphone and you can hear everything. You can also answer calls with the right earphone as well as listen to your favorite music. This really works great for me. Cheap too! App is free.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:57 pm

I am using a Garmin Nuvi 2597 LMT. It has an easy on/off mount so I can take it with me when I leave the bike. The touch screen works with gloves on, so that is a plus. For the price it is a good choice. It isn't water proof and there is some glare issues, but it isn't $600 bucks either.
Bill

jenagle
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100
1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby jenagle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:12 am

I am also using a 2597 LMT which I purchased on ebay for $200. It's a refurb, but looks new and works well. It has a 7" screen which I like, and as stated above is glove friendly.

Dwight_n_Sue
Motorcycle: '96 GoldWing GL1500 SE w\ 2004 Lehman GTL Trike conversion

Postby Dwight_n_Sue » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:51 am

We have a Garmin Street Pilot 2730. It is a GPS built for motorcycles. It isn't supported by Garmin anymore but you can still register a pre-owned unit for lifetime maps. I found the 2730 on Amazon for about $250. I added the sun cover and stalk mount. It was a $1200 unit in 2005 with satellite weather and traffic capabilities as well as Sirrus\XM hook up that plays over the bike's FM radio if you have the XM antenna (hard to find and pricey when you do). It has an external speaker or you can listen over an assigned FM channel. It has no battery and runs off the bike's 12v system. You can link it to your computer and plan trips that are saved to the unit's memory.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:20 am

I have a TomTom Go 720, with a Glarestomper hood:

GL1500 Cockpit
GL1500 Cockpit

I bought it on eBay for around $100. It has a resistive (not capacitive) touchscreen, which means you can work it with gloves on. It has an audio out jack, so I can plug it into my GPS Input and hear its instructions over the intercom. It's not waterproof...but it's been rained on quite a few times with no ill effects, and in an absolute downpour, I pull a large ziplock bag over it.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:00 am

jenagle wrote:I am also using a 2597 LMT which I purchased on ebay for $200. It's a refurb, but looks new and works well. It has a 7" screen which I like, and as stated above is glove friendly.

Good choice........ I bought mine new in at Best Buy in Springfield for $160. It interfaces with my cell phone and helmet via Bluetooth, so I can answer phone calls and get GPS instruction that way. It doesn't have an out put jack, but with Bluetooth, it isn't needed. I bought it because my Megellan was telling me I was driving in an open field while going thru Dallas last summer and the map updates were nearly as expensive as buying a new unit. The Garmin got rained on for 4 hours while coming across Wyoming last July without any ill effects. As WA suggested, I use a ziplock bag over it if the rain gets really heavy.
Bill

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:42 pm

I can't believe the price they want for a Garmin Zumo! Here they are over $1,000! Ain't gonna happen! I am like a previous post said, I use real maps, they are my 10" analog GPS! Never needs a battery and sits in a waterproof map holder (by Hopnel) just above my gas tank filler cover/flap. However I DO appreciate a live GPS to confirm where I am in cities, towns, etc. I often refer to it to help me find shortcuts to the highway and avoid the typical routings all thru downtown main street (traffic, lights, etc.). And also it is helpful for POI's (Points of Interest) as I have downloaded hundreds of them and I merely peck at what I want and it will guide (glide?) me to it. I never program a touring route on it, so I don't have to hear Greta Garmin yacking at me and disturbing my motor or music sounds! If a POI is entered, I merely mute Greta so she can have a nap.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 4.3" and I simply mounted it with the original suction cup onto the windshield with a few drops of crazy glue. It has stayed put for over a year now. It is protected from most of the elements and as our Goldwing Docs Admin does, I have a Ziploc clear plastic bag I keep in the fairing pocket and grab it if it begins to rain. Given its location inside the windshield, it gets very little rain and there's no wind there to rip the Ziploc bag away.

I have seen refurbished Garmin units with 5" screen for about $100 WITH lifetime map updates! How can you go wrong? I don't like to mount it on the handlebars as it is too low to quickly glance at and I fear bumps, etc. may shake it apart and it is more 'exposed'. It seems very stable on the windshield. When I stop/lunch/gas, I merely pop it off the mount and put it inside the right fairing locking pocket (out of sight from grab and run theft). The power cord goes easily to the optional cigarette lighter outlet inside the left fairing pocket and a small notch in the cover ensures the cord is not pinched by the cover. Handlebar movement when parked/slow is unimpeded by the cord.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Paulcf wrote:I have a Garmin Nuvi 4.3" and I simply mounted it with the original suction cup onto the windshield with a few drops of crazy glue. It has stayed put for over a year now. It is protected from most of the elements and as our Goldwing Docs Admin does, I have a Ziploc clear plastic bag I keep in the fairing pocket and grab it if it begins to rain. Given its location inside the windshield, it gets very little rain and there's no wind there to rip the Ziploc bag away....
.....The power cord goes easily to the optional cigarette lighter outlet inside the left fairing pocket and a small notch in the cover ensures the cord is not pinched by the cover. Handlebar movement when parked/slow is unimpeded by the cord.

I made exactly the same except crazy glue!! The suction cup holds quite good on the windshield. Untill now,never fall away.
Have also the optional power from the left fairing pocket.
Attachments

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:09 pm

I use a Garmin with lifetime updates, mounted on the screen as close to the dash as it will go out of the weather, not waterproof but I just slide a sandwich bag over it if I get caught in prolonged or heavy rain. I download planned routes from Autoroute or trip planner, http://tripplanner.honda.com because as already said a satnav can set you from point to point via various routes, and I like to follow my planned route.

I do a lot of trip planning in winter, checking out places on google earth, I use GPS coordinates a lot to pinpoint precise stopping locations, and the 'My location' feature to save POI coordinates, or if I want to return to where I was after scenic detours etc . I have a file full of google earth and route planner destination coordinates and routes I can refer to.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 am

so I don't have to hear Greta Garmin

I have two Garmin units - one is a StreetPilot C320 that I paid an arm and a leg for, and which Garmin have discontinued and do not update their maps, anymore. The other is a Garmin-Asus A50 phone and GPS.

The voice in the Streetpilot has the name of "Betty Blabbermouth" as she always wants to talk when you are in the middle of something; I use the British version for instructions. The A50 has "Karen the Karessa" (a semi-Australian voice), that lulls you into believing 'it is her way or the highway!' She doesnt quite get a lot of the pronunciations correct, an example is Kernow, locally pronounced Ker-no, but she insists on Ker-Now.

As for the Streetpilot maps, someone is offering the Oz maps for around $28, whereas Garmin wants well over $150 for the same map updates. I have purchased the $28 version, and when it arrives I will download the CD to my computer, and then put it on the card that comes with the Streetpilot. One good thing for the StreetPilot is that the cards can be swapped, so that when I traveled around the world, I purchased maps for North America, and Europe, and just plugged them in and away we went. When I got back home, it was easy to go back to the Oz maps, by removing the card, and putting the local one in. No rubbish about downloading a new set of maps!

I am wary of Garmin's offers of "Lifetime maps", as you should ask the pointed question: "When is Garmin going to stop supporting this model?" Then decide whether you need to spend your big chunk of change on a Garmin, new or 'refurbished', and see whether it is worthwhile.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:32 am

LegsandaWing wrote:I use a Garmin with lifetime updates, mounted on the screen as close to the dash as it will go out of the weather, not waterproof but I just slide a sandwich bag over it if I get caught in prolonged or heavy rain. I download planned routes from Autoroute or trip planner, http://tripplanner.honda.com because as already said a satnav can set you from point to point via various routes, and I like to follow my planned route.

I do a lot of trip planning in winter, checking out places on google earth, I use GPS coordinates a lot to pinpoint precise stopping locations, and the 'My location' feature to save POI coordinates, or if I want to return to where I was after scenic detours etc . I have a file full of google earth and route planner destination coordinates and routes I can refer to.

I do the exact same thing. Street address geolocation (where the GPS estimates the lat/lon based on street address) is still not all that accurate, so when I need to find the exact location of someplace, particularly one on which that the GPS tends to not do very well, I will look it up on Google Maps beforehand, get the exact lat/lon coordinates, and enter those as a waypoint in the GPS to use.

Similarly, if I've taken time to find a place, I'll do a "save this position" as a waypoint once I got there so it can take me right back there again.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:44 pm

A tip, for those who haven't tried it (at least, on Garmin units) - if you have a zip code (Postal Code, here in Canada) for your destination, it's a quick & easy way to get you right to the door of the place you're going to. I use it frequently - in my area, there are over a dozen municipalities, and if you're not sure of the exact boundaries, you can search for an address on the unit for quite a while without success. Input the Postal Code, and away you go, no matter what municipality the destination is in. Quick & easy.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”