shipping my goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Honda Rider 77
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000
2010 ST 1300

shipping my goldwing

Postby Honda Rider 77 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:08 pm

I am looking for a reasonably priced company to ship my gl 1000 from Williston North Dakota to Pensacola Florida. Does anyone have a particular company in mind?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: shipping my goldwing

Postby redial » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 am

I dont have a current answer for you, but it depends on whether you are looking for a guaranteed delivery time. Some shippers/freighters wait until they have a full load of MC to go on or near your destination before they load. This means that you could be waiting for a while before delivery is effected. Pickup may not be a difficulty, but actual delivery may be extended, depending on their loads. If you got them at the right time of the year, when all the snowbirds are starting to fly south for the winter, you might get lucky.

Have you thought about riding it yourself to Florida, might be a good trip, and getting warmer each day :D .
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Honda Rider 77
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000
2010 ST 1300

Postby Honda Rider 77 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:52 am

Thanks for the input Len. It needs a stator and I want to replace the timing belts first.I don't have time to work on it here thats why I wanted to ship it to Florida.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I "googled" motorcycle shipping, and came up with several hits. I never shipped a bike, so I don't have anyone to recommend... this is one place I found. http://www.freightcenter.com/lp/motorcy ... As0-8P8HAQ I recon the BBB would have feedback on shippers.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Try Uship. I have used them for garden tractors.

Dwight_n_Sue
Motorcycle: '96 GoldWing GL1500 SE w\ 2004 Lehman GTL Trike conversion

Postby Dwight_n_Sue » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:02 am

I had Federal Companies ship my trike from Boise to Rockford IL a couple of years ago. Trikes are harder to ship because of the three contact points. Anyway, a lot of broken plastic and paint scrapes. It was insured but they refused to cover it. I would avoid this carrier.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm

I bought a GL1800 from a dealer in Maryland last August. I tried to use UShip but that didn't work. They were high priced, over $1300. They are a brokerage and not a shipper so that is a bad deal to start with. They hooked me up with a shipper but that shipper was also a broker and he was unable to find a truck and driver in a span of 15 days so I fired them. UShip wanted to keep $300 of the initial fee as credit so I could try using them at a later date. I was not going to go for that ploy. I cancelled the payment through the credit card company and told UShip I had done that. THEN they said, oh, sorry, we will give you a full refund.

At any rate, I got my money back and contracted with Federal Companies http://www.federalcos.com/ 800-747-4100. I called them on a Friday and made arrangements but didn't give them the go ahead until I had released UShip. I severed ties with UShip on Monday, called Federal Companies that afternoon and gave them my credit card info. They were $500 cheaper than UShip. That Wednesday the 16th the GL1800 was picked up in Maryland. On Friday the 26th, 10 days later, the GL1800 was delivered to my driveway, over 3000 miles, in perfect shape.

I'd use Federal Companies again if I needed to ship a motorcycle. I'll never try UShip again.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

fixdent
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby fixdent » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 pm

I just had my bike shipped from Florida to Minnesota and was shipped my Seaboard Cartage. The cost was $565 which I thought was very reasonable. I don't have the phone numbers here at home, but have them at work. They have special crates that they ship it in. No damage at all.

Like one other poster said, you may have to wait for a full shipment. Mine was suppose to be shipped right to the Canadian border, but did not have a full load for 3 or 4 weeks from Minneapolis, so I drove the extra 5 hours and picked it up there.

Let me know if you would like me to dig up the numbers for you.

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

CCjon
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with Champion sidecar
Renovated and sold 1982 Goldwing

Postby CCjon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 am

This guys posts on another site for sidecars. Everyone seems happy with his service.

http://www.trulyvintagetrailers.citymax ... _page.html

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 am

Whatever and whomever you use, do NOT use this company: www.federalcos.com. They damaged my Goldwing extensively and then denied my claim for damages. The shipping dealer in Texas had another similar claim and they refused it so he no longer uses them.
They had bent and taped my 2 antennas to the rear trunk was just one example of the morons they are. When I showed them how the antennas easily fold down for storage/shipment, they were amazed. At that point I realized that these morons have never properly shipped a motorcycle before! AVOID THEM LIKE EBOLA!

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “Goldwing Chat”