Another Wreck!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Another Wreck!

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:50 am

Last Friday night comming home in the dark, I hit a pile of grass that the countys mowing crew had dumped on the road when they folded up the mower. I never saw the grass as it was on a curve and at a deer crossing. Next thing I knew was the sound of my helmet sliding on asphalt. Don't recall anything about the accident happening. A sherriff dept car came and stopped to see what was going on. A car from the other direction came by and missed a guy that had stopped to help, by about 4 inches. The deputy chases him down. After his business with him, the deputy just drove off. I had called my daughter and she brought a trailer and loaded the bike and took it home. Wife and I went to the ER. After xrays, scans etc. they told me I had a broken ankle, but ribs are fine. Went to the VA next chance ( holiday weekend) and they xrayed ribs. 3 broken. Looks like I'll be off the bike for a while. Hopefully will be able to do some maint. Everyone that has looked at the bike says minor damage. I haven't been able to see it myself yet. Sure hasn't been a good bike year for me! 2 wrecks in 6 months. Destroyed my safety gear again, but I'm still here to talk about it.

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Another Wreck!

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm very sorry to hear you wrecked your bike. I am glad to hear you will be okay... and I recon the Mrs. too? I really dislike the laziness of some people, like the ones on riding mowers (and road crews) who discharge grass clippings into the highway. I ALWAYS mow the edges back into the yard and I ALWAYS stop the blades when a vehicle approaches. Too many times I have had passers by throw trash into the lawn, and have hit several cans and plastic bottles while mowing that were hidden by the grass... I've always been concerned with propelling that debris into the road, especially with vehicles driving past the house.. and I would never leave grass clippings in the road as most do. I guess they don't realize how dangerous it can be for motorcycles riding through that slippery grass...

I hope your bike won't be too costly or difficult to repair... mend quickly
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

amsoilguy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Wow...so sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok enough to be telling us about it. Take it easy and get healed up.
Allan

'88 GL1500

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Keep talking! That is a very scary narrative of what happened. It must be a real challenge dodging deer, cagers, and grass clippings on your roads. Get better quickly, but not too quickly, as you will need time to heal properly. Warm thoughts are sent your way.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

jeffers
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby jeffers » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm with everyone else. Glad you are gonna be ok....Every time that I cut my grass I immediately use the leaf blower to remove what grass I do get on the road.. DAMN THOSE PEOPLE THAT LEAVE GRASS ON THE ROAD!!!!!. :x :x :x I see it around here all of the time around here.. Anyway, get well soon and God bless....

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:30 am

Sorry to hear about your accident. Get better soon.
I see grass clippings and leaves being intentionally blown into the streets and roads by "lawn work crews" every day during the summer so that they don't have to pick it up. I sweep mine out of the street and put it in the trash. Old school.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:42 am

These mowers are about 12 feet wide and are pulled by a tractor. When lifted they can dump a pile that can be 6 to 12 inches tall and 3 or 4 feet long. My insurance company is interested about talking with the county for leaving this debris in the roadway. I will probably be talking to a lawyer on this one. Thank God I was riding alone. All I remember was sliding to a stop. I had to have rolled over as my helmet is scraped up all the way around. Looks like first contact was left side and head as the left shoulder of the jacket is all torn up. Hate to think how I would be without the gear. Still can't figure out how I hit my left side so hard. Seems like it would have hit on the right side :shock: . Worse part is I live in a stilt house and am not so agile as to want to attempt the steps on crutches alone. VA gave me a knee scooter(My new Goldwing) LOL got to find a decal, as I cannot put weight on the ankle for a while. Thanks for all the support! Dave

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:59 pm

So sorry to hear of your accident, I am very glad you are still walking(sort of) and talking. I hope you heal well and quickly. The bike and gear can be replaced or repaired in time if need be,the important part is that you are still with us. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:05 pm

So sorry to hear of your accident, I am very glad you are still walking(sort of) and talking. I hope you heal well and quickly. The bike and gear can be replaced or repaired in time if need be,the important part is that you are still with us. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:09 pm

That is about like riding onto black ice. Yeah I believe that I would be doing some complaining, that is just laziness on the part of the maintenance workers. Most people know better than to direct grass clippings onto a roadway, or leave a pile there.
Proud member Patriot Guard

rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Postby rufus15 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:29 pm

That sucks, hope you heal quickly. Twice is more than enough damage on bike and body.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:27 am

Glad you're around to talk about it, once again proving the value of wearing your gear. Heal up and get back in the saddle soon. BUT, two wrecks in six months....are you paying as much attention as you should, or are you just unlucky?

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Attention or unlucky? The first one was a woman who pulled out and ran into the side of me. Second was running into something in the road on a curve and at night. Don't think my luck is running too well right now.
Got down to take a look at the bike yesterday. I don't think that it ever hit the ground! Appears that it slid and threw me off and at the same time shut it self off and slowing ran into the guardrail. Was just leaning against the rail when we got to it. Took a small chip out of the wind wing on the left side, and paint off the left lower side cover and of course the piece above it. Really not too bad. Think I got the worst of this one. They put on a cast today so time will tell..

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:09 pm

May you heal quickly and completely, so you can get back on and ride very soon.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:55 am

So sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get better soon and bike didnt have too much damage. Very happy to read that you wores a safety gear. Dont even want to think about what could have happened if you did not wear the helmet.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:41 am

Glad to hear you may be talking to a lawyer. This sounds like a liability issue for the county. Hope everything is documented as to the dumped grass causing this.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Happytrails wrote:So sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get better soon and bike didnt have too much damage. Very happy to read that you wores a safety gear. Dont even want to think about what could have happened if you did not wear the helmet.

My damage seems to be restricted to the two panels below the turn signal , as shown in your avitar, but on the opposite side. Hard to believe how minor it looks. Wish I was that lucky LOL. My helmet is damaged 360 degrees. Going to have to peruse Ebay and see if I can get lucky again and find another E/L Joe Rocket Ballastic jacket. This one is destroyed!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm

seelyark1 wrote:
Happytrails wrote:So sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get better soon and bike didnt have too much damage. Very happy to read that you wores a safety gear. Dont even want to think about what could have happened if you did not wear the helmet.

My damage seems to be restricted to the two panels below the turn signal , as shown in your avitar, but on the opposite side. Hard to believe how minor it looks. Wish I was that lucky LOL. My helmet is damaged 360 degrees. Going to have to peruse Ebay and see if I can get lucky again and find another E/L Joe Rocket Ballastic jacket. This one is destroyed!

Most insurance companies will cover the cost of your helmet and gear after a wreck.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Talked with the insurance co yesterday and they wanted to send the bike to the local H/D shop for repair. Called back this AM and the H/D place only works on H/Ds. So I asked if I could do the work myself. They had no problem with that. Will send someone by and video the damage to the bike and my helmet and jacket. Now to figure out where to find the parts I will need. Some of the extras I can get at CycleMax, But where can I get the lower fairing, and lower side panel? Got a really good look at the bike today and looks like it never went down.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Hope all heals well. Sorry to hear about your luck.
Keeps us posted.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:57 am

seelyark1 wrote:Talked with the insurance co yesterday and they wanted to send the bike to the local H/D shop for repair. Called back this AM and the H/D place only works on H/Ds. So I asked if I could do the work myself. They had no problem with that. Will send someone by and video the damage to the bike and my helmet and jacket. Now to figure out where to find the parts I will need. Some of the extras I can get at CycleMax, But where can I get the lower fairing, and lower side panel? Got a really good look at the bike today and looks like it never went down.

Those parts should still be available, in the correct color. Have a look here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... IRING-ASSY.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Admin, Thank you very much! That was exactly what I was hoping to find out. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Youall ride safe, I'll be here lurking while I heal.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:07 am

seelyark1 wrote:These mowers are about 12 feet wide and are pulled by a tractor. When lifted they can dump a pile that can be 6 to 12 inches tall and 3 or 4 feet long. My insurance company is interested about talking with the county for leaving this debris in the roadway. I will probably be talking to a lawyer on this one........... Thanks for all the support! Dave

I have been retired since Dec 2010 and early this year, I got tired of being retired and hired on with the local County Road crew.

I drive a spray truck and I follow two John Deere 6125R tractors that are pulling single wing mowers.

I have to rebut your statement about the wing being lifted causing the big clumps of grass... Nope, it is the grass that has gotten balled up under the main deck, while the wing is hanging over the edge of the roads. The main mower deck is almost dragging the pavement (and does a lot) and there isn't any room for the grass to exit. Then the tractor must pull out onto the roadway to go around a culvert and now the mower has been raised up high (about 12 inches) and that clump of grass can then fall out... When I see those clumps, I stop the truck and kick them off the road.

Some of those clumps have dirt folded into the grass, and that is likely what your bike was sidelined with.

Sue away, if that is your heart's main desire, but forget about ever winning in court.
Now the county has paid for a lot of stuff.
* new mailboxes (aren't they lovely when they get mowed down? :lol:
* new windshields in residents cars that are sooooo stupid, they go around my 1 ton dually spray truck at 70 mph, which has a huge MOWERS AHEAD sign sitting on the rear of the flatbed next to my spray hose reel. And then, wonder of wonders, the mower deck hits the edge of the pavement, breaks a chunk of asphalt loose and slings it out like a rocket.

One of our spray crew guys a couple years back got a nice surprise. He was following the mow tractors way up close, and the mower spit out a chunk of concrete which joined him inside the cab of the truck. Luckily on the passenger side, but he got peppered with thousands of glass shards.

So, if you see one of my crew, please stay back a bit and then approach with care.... when our guys see you coming, they shut the mower down and wait for you to pass. BUT, if you can't wait and go by at 70 mph, you deserve everything that hits you in the face.

In the attached picture are two of our tractors. The one in the front view we call the Battle Axe, it has a huge rotary disk with carbide tipped cutters on it. It can go thru an 8 inch diameter tree or limb in about 5 seconds. When low to the ground and placed vertically, it will trim back the brush/tree growth clear back to the fence line while the tractor goes forward at 1 mph.

If the arm is raised up high, it can cut a tunnel in overhanging limbs up to 30 feet high. I have been on a ground crew following it, picking up the debris and chucking it into a big Vermeer Shredder.... that thing is immensely dangerous.

The rear most tractor is viewed from the back, you can see the mower deck. The deck is about 8 feet wide, and the wing is 4 feet wide. All of it is hydraulic controlled.

. oh, going back to work has been kind of nice, I get to meet a lot of swell folks out in the country once in a while.

Attachments
John Deere 6125R tractors
John Deere 6125R tractors
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
seelyark1 wrote:These mowers are about 12 feet wide and are pulled by a tractor. When lifted they can dump a pile that can be 6 to 12 inches tall and 3 or 4 feet long. My insurance company is interested about talking with the county for leaving this debris in the roadway. I will probably be talking to a lawyer on this one........... Thanks for all the support! Dave

I have been retired since Dec 2010 and early this year, I got tired of being retired and hired on with the local County Road crew.

I drive a spray truck and I follow two John Deere 6125R tractors that are pulling single wing mowers.

I have to rebut your statement about the wing being lifted causing the big clumps of grass... Nope, it is the grass that has gotten balled up under the main deck, while the wing is hanging over the edge of the roads. The main mower deck is almost dragging the pavement (and does a lot) and there isn't any room for the grass to exit. Then the tractor must pull out onto the roadway to go around a culvert and now the mower has been raised up high (about 12 inches) and that clump of grass can then fall out... When I see those clumps, I stop the truck and kick them off the road.

Some of those clumps have dirt folded into the grass, and that is likely what your bike was sidelined with.

Sue away, if that is your heart's main desire, but forget about ever winning in court.
Now the county has paid for a lot of stuff.
* new mailboxes (aren't they lovely when they get mowed down? :lol:
* new windshields in residents cars that are sooooo stupid, they go around my 1 ton dually spray truck at 70 mph, which has a huge MOWERS AHEAD sign sitting on the rear of the flatbed next to my spray hose reel. And then, wonder of wonders, the mower deck hits the edge of the pavement, breaks a chunk of asphalt loose and slings it out like a rocket.

One of our spray crew guys a couple years back got a nice surprise. He was following the mow tractors way up close, and the mower spit out a chunk of concrete which joined him inside the cab of the truck. Luckily on the passenger side, but he got peppered with thousands of glass shards.

So, if you see one of my crew, please stay back a bit and then approach with care.... when our guys see you coming, they shut the mower down and wait for you to pass. BUT, if you can't wait and go by at 70 mph, you deserve everything that hits you in the face.

In the attached picture are two of our tractors. The one in the front view we call the Battle Axe, it has a huge rotary disk with carbide tipped cutters on it. It can go thru an 8 inch diameter tree or limb in about 5 seconds. When low to the ground and placed vertically, it will trim back the brush/tree growth clear back to the fence line while the tractor goes forward at 1 mph.

If the arm is raised up high, it can cut a tunnel in overhanging limbs up to 30 feet high. I have been on a ground crew following it, picking up the debris and chucking it into a big Vermeer Shredder.... that thing is immensely dangerous.

The rear most tractor is viewed from the back, you can see the mower deck. The deck is about 8 feet wide, and the wing is 4 feet wide. All of it is hydraulic controlled.

. oh, going back to work has been kind of nice, I get to meet a lot of swell folks out in the country once in a while.

Your mower is absolutely nothing like what they use here. Wish the county had someone following behind doing what you do. These guys just leave it in the road! I allmost got run over because of it. Lucky the guy saw me laying in the road.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:56 pm

I work in Rogers County, OK

I'm in District #2 and have been told that Districts #1 and #3 use different mowers than ours. District #3 uses a multiple blade setup that resembles a farmer's hay mow row machine. It is very dangerous, but it is cheaper than what we use. Dunno if that is what your local road crew uses or not, but Right-of-way Maintenance is an ongoing, and necessary chore.

As many ways to do it, as there are foreman and their opinions.

John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

Return to “Goldwing Chat”