Winter Travel Between Seattle and Tuscon

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
purplerhody
Motorcycle: 2003 1800 Goldwing

Winter Travel Between Seattle and Tuscon

Postby purplerhody » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:46 pm

I am planning to make this trip leaving in late January or early February and returning in later February. I would be interested in hearing what routes folks may have taken to avoid snow/ice on the passes. I will hauling an Aspen Sentry trailer and my riding partner has a smaller cargo trailer. Assuming the Siskiyous are unreliable this time of year and that I either need to head down to the coast into southern ca or head over I-90 and work my way down. Suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

Willbewatching
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Winter Travel Between Seattle and Tuscon

Postby Willbewatching » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:10 am

Hey purplehody, I'm Will down in Redding Ca. Yes the Siskiyou pass can be the devil at times but.. if you watch the storms and when you make the trip over.. <shrugs> I travel up into Oregon fairly regularly during the winter months.. I just make sure I pick and choose my travel times.. The Oregon coast PCH will get you down too.. With not much problem other than being a lil damp..(lol) but.. always a beautiful ride anytime of the year !!
I ride from here to Mesa a couple times of the year...usually in Dec- Jan.. I will ride down old 99 then cut accross at Bakersfield on Cal-58 with only the Tehachapi pass that I have to watch pretty close for weather reports and pick up US 40 at Barstow.. after that it's mostly just desert across the Mojave...to Needles then drop down to Blythe. If the weather is really bad.. I drop down into LA and pick up US I-10 into Phoenix.
Let me know when you swing through Redding.. I'll buy ya a cuppa coffee to warm you up...(lol)
Will

purplerhody
Motorcycle: 2003 1800 Goldwing

Postby purplerhody » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info....

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 pm

I do agree with "WillBe"....I am in WA and go to CA to visit the folks, and in winter I take the cage just because I can not resist the seat heater, lol.

One year I hit bad snow north of Grants Pass, OR, so I headed west to the coast, and down past the Cali boarder, back to I-5 via hwy 20. Beautiful roads, and now problem getting through on the coast.

There is always a way to get around, just depends how much time you are willing to spend.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”