Bike/medical question (tinnitus)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Bike/medical question (tinnitus)

Postby squirrel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:36 pm

i've had tinnitus for years caused by riding (so im told) it's been ok until recently but lately it has gotten progressively worse (louder ) i wear ear plugs and a tight fitting helmet . i know there is no cure but any suggestions welcome thanks

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Bike/medical question (tinnitus)

Postby bustedwing » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm

I have heard that a vitamin supplement helps reduce those problems. I'm not sure which ones, you would have to do some research or Google it.
Proud member Patriot Guard

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:35 pm

I also have tinnitus. I can't tell you how (exactly) I came to have that annoying ringing in my ears... listening to loud music as a teenager? power tool use? Gunfire (I spent 100's of hours at the shooting range in my 20's)... chainsaws? working in loud factories? Motorcycle riding? Heck... who knows. I have taken to wearing soft hearing protection when I ride and for every other activity that makes noise above 85 db give or take a few... that's the number our safety guys tell me is the threshold for when I should be wearing hearing protection. I also have been told that damage done can't be undone... however, when preparing to write this, I googled tinnitus and came up with a Mayo Clinic link that may be interesting to you:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20021487

Apparently, there are treatment options that are available... If you visit the link, there are more pages before the one I copied and others (including a home remedies page) following the one I picked out of the article.

I guess there are custom fitted ear plugs a person can buy... also note that not all hearing protection is created equal.. I go with the highest noise reduction rating (around 29-30 if I recall correctly) that are also comfortable to wear with a helmet on... my all time favorites stick out and the helmet causes pressure on them, which causes a lot of pain after just a short ride, so I have to compromise comfort and effectiveness... I won't ride more than 10 miles without them anymore.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 pm

The ENT that worked an ICU I was in has always recommended earbuds with low volume music/sound to stop the annoying tinnitus symptoms. Apparently by stimulating the nerve, in many cases, the sound overrides the constant ringing. Things that can cause the condition maybe be large doses of certain anti-biotics or those anti-biotics being given too quickly through an IV. Taking too much aspirin and the drug lasix can also cause this. Constant exposure to loud noise is not the only cause. This physician also recommended using a white noise or a soothing sound machine to aid in getting to sleep.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm

I have researched this topic extensively. Here's my story: 10 years ago I went to the dentist for a root canal, mind you, I did not have tinnitus prior to seeing the dentist. She was fresh out of dental school and with that being said, left a device in my mouth that stretched my jaw open , while the root canal stuff hardened. 30 min later she walks in and then finishes. That night around 2 am, I awoke thinking the town tornado alarms were sounding. I ran outside and then quickly realized, the sound was coming from inside my head. I then started to panic and went to the ER, the doc prescribed a series of steroids which did not help. The loud ringing sound lasted for about 2 weeks and did reduce down, but I do still have flare ups and believe it is all related to my TMJ disorder, which was caused by the dentist.
FRom what you have described, being around loudness and such, the ringing could be a result of cochlea damage, or maybe something else.
I have tried Ringstop ( can get at any drug store), it did help a little. I also have noticed that caffeine can prompt the worsening of tinnitus.
If it is a lack of blood flow to the ear, then certain herbs can help ( ringstop has these herbs).
I have always worn earplugs when around noise, since you have to protect the cochlea hairs. These hairs do not rejuvenate, which is the leading cause of different levels of hearing loss. Have you noticed that the tinnitus is worse at night? this is due to the ambient sound present, and running a fan or white noise can really help.
Some diet modification can also help. I'm sure the mayo clinic touches on that as well.
Hope I have helped. I would continue to wear ear protection if at all possible.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:10 am

I've got it as well, fairly severe from years working as a club DJ in my late teens/early 20's. I have always worn ear protection on my bike, and for years went with the yellow squishy "EAR" product, shaped like a cylinder:

The softer ones that are formed always hurt my ears:

They just created too much pressure inside my ears, and after half an hour or so I was in pain. Even the yellow cylinder ones would hurt after a couple of hours or so.

A couple years back, at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show, they had a booth where they were making custom-molded silicone earplugs, molded specifically for your ears. They squirt this goo into your ear:

You wait for a few minutes, then they pull it out and do some custom work on it. You come back an hour later, and they are ready:

They go in and out easily, stay in without shifting around, and block far more sound than the foam plugs. They are also comfortable - I can wear them for hours and hours with no issues.

They can also install a set of tiny speakers in them as well, so you could plug them into your intercom if you so wished.

fixdent
Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing

Postby fixdent » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 pm

I have had quite a loud ringing in my ears for about 15 years. Just have to get used to it.

--
Gordon
2005 Goldwing

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:53 pm

WA,
Do you have a name, price. & supplier that you could share as well, thanks.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:55 pm

You can get the plugs made at most shot gun trap shoots. May look in a specialty gun shop and find them. They usually run about $30.00

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:54 am

Looking at the medical side, there are lots of drugs that can cause tinnitus - if you've started on a drug recently and noticed your ears ringing more, perhaps you should consult your doctor about alternatives to that drug.

Nutritional deficiencies can also cause it - particularly a lack of magnesium in your diet. If you haven't had exposure to loud noise, and no good reason that you can discern for the onset of tinnitus, perhaps a daily multivitamin could help.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:37 am

I was born with tinnitus, and also born without hearing.

I was 8 years old before a school teacher called my parents and asked them if they "knew about" my hard of hearing situation.

She told them that I only responded to her IF and when I was looking at her. It seemed that I was reading lips.

A fantastic doctor, Dr. James V. Huff, down in Oklahoma City pioneered inner ear restoration surgery. He worked on both of my ears and gave me the chance to be able to hear. At the time, he told me it would take years before my hearing "approached normal" and indeed he was right. I was about 26 before a hearing test revealed that my hearing was only down about 10 db or so. 10 years or so later, one of my ears even made the magic number of 0 db loss.

but that ringing? gawd, it is awful and ever present. 24/7 , the last thing you notice at night and the first thing you are aware of in the morning. Sleeping is an exhausted type activity. Can't get to sleep until I am too tired to stay awake any longer, and awake before I should be because the ringing gets me out of bed. Like right now, it is 1:30 a.m. and I am awake again.... I dropped off to sleep at 6:30 pm while reading a book from shear exhaustion as I had been awake since 3 a.m. yesterday morning.

this time I will browse the forums, looking for something interesting, then back to my recliner and the Kindle book reader. That is a fascinating device and extremely addictive. I have always enjoyed reading, but as my eyes got older, the book fonts became so microscopic as to be unreadable even with glasses on. Now I can enlarge the fonts to read with ease...

Vitamin Supplements to reduce tinnitus? From all of the medical literature I can find, and from every medical professional in the field that I have talked to, nothing can remove tinnitus... IMO, the supplements are designed to empty your wallet, not noises in your ears.

The biggest hawker of those supplements, in small print hidden away, suggests that you need to take their supplements for 6 months or more to notice an improvement in the reduction of tinnitus. Oh? guess what, at about $150 a month, that is close to a grand of my money before I decide it is all wasted effort.

Kind of like my chiropractors that I use from time to time. Every one of them wants me to come in for "regular adjustments" because it increases my "spinal health", will prevent my prostate from withering away, can help reduce the tinnitus in my ears (because of C3 impingement?).... again, they want to have a guaranteed retirement package at your expense. I use them to fix what hurts and when it don't hurt anymore, I am more careful of how I treat my back again. Sometimes for a couple years or more, but then, like now, I am back visiting twice a week and have been for 4 weeks now. Time to give her the shove, I am feeling good, and don't need her drain on my wallet.

I found this thread from the monthly newsletter.... Thank you Steve, appreciate that.

John
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

pwjohnson041
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby pwjohnson041 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:27 am

The cause of mine was a stint in artillery and 70's rock and roll. What I can tell you is hydrate hydrate hydrate! The less hydrated you become the louder the tinnitus becomes and vice versa. It doesn't completely go away when you're better hydrated (truth is nothing can make it totally go away, just mask it in the background), but it does get quieter than the surrounding sounds.

AZgl1800

Postby AZgl1800 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:36 am

pwjohnson041 wrote:The cause of mine was a stint in artillery and 70's rock and roll. What I can tell you is hydrate hydrate hydrate! The less hydrated you become the louder the tinnitus becomes and vice versa. It doesn't completely go away when you're better hydrated (truth is nothing can make it totally go away, just mask it in the background), but it does get quieter than the surrounding sounds.

Hydration is one thing I don't have much problem with.
My sinuses are always dry, and I am drinking a lot of water. Usually about a quart or more in an 8 hour shift at work. Always have a glass of water by my bed, TV recliner, and where I read books. That is usually what I drink with a meal also.

Soda drinks are bad for hydration, but I like to have one with a meal sometimes.

The tone intensity comes and goes, but never goes away... it is just loud, or really loud :)
John

Circles
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Circles » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:40 am

I have that problem as well. My wife picked up a small bottle of ear drops at Walgreens that claimed to help and it did. One very tiny drop in each ear and the ringing subsided for at least a couple of hours and sometimes longer. Don't have the name available right now but I'm sure the pharmacist can help you in a Walgreens.

popcraig
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 interstate
1981 XJ650 Maxim
1997 VS800GL Intruder

Postby popcraig » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:20 pm

As stated in the article, tinnitus can have many different causes. Mine was apparently caused by a blow to the head before I started riding and it sounds like crickets; thousands of them. I've done some research on herbal (or vitamin) cures for tinnitus. Most of them are scams. The few that offer some relief only work for a specific cause determined by which cure you are using. The biggest downside is that if you use the wrong cure for your cause, it can make the problem worse. Be careful.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:34 pm

After 40+ years of riding, I have noticed a very low ringing sound in my ears. Not wanting this to increase, I recently went to the hearing centre in Costco locally. They offer custom made earplugs that are moulded to fit your ears. It cost about $60 here (nothing is cheap in Canada!) and a week later I had them. Since I also work for Canada Post and drive with my windows open on my truck (NO A/C!), the wind roar is loud. I now wear these all day when warm (windows opened) and ALL THE TIME on my Goldwing. People wonder as they ask isn't the Goldwing a quiet bike? Yes it is, but the wind, especially a cross wind, can get to you. And I can carry on a normal conversation and hear normal voices no problem with them in when doing my postal work with customers.

So I would encourage ALL riders of ANY motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, watercraft, off road bike, etc. to spend a few dollars and get these comfortable ear plugs. They do NOT interfere with any helmet and you can get them in a rainbow of colours! They come with a tether string (like kids mittens) and a small zippered pouch to store them in. I leave them on the seat of my Goldwing so I never miss or forget to use them the next time I go for a ride.

I can still hear the stereo/CB from my headset, I turn it up a bit. But the difference is that it reduces the ROAR of the wind, that incessant drone that gets to you. In fact I was able to ride an 825 mile day with them in, and I attribute the duration of the ride by the fact I was not exhausted by the wind roar. And yes, sirens, horns, etc. are not muted with the plugs in.

Try them, I am sure you will be impressed and you'll feel better too!
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:44 pm

thanks to all for your input . the custom ear plugs seem to be the way to go for me .it was good to get advice / help from fellow riders who know what a pain this constant noise is. thanks again. goldwing docs rocks :-)

Icarus18
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby Icarus18 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:42 pm

I am an RN and I have tinnitus as well more than likely caused by years in the military riding in loud vehicles and helicopters. The only way to decrease the noise is to find a frequency that can cancel the noise. This can be accomplished by a type of hearing aid. Which I am not willing to do. I have tried some of the holistic approaches that expensive and in my experience don't work. The only other thing to do is keep it from getting any worse. I like the custom ear plugs and at the gun shows I have attended here in Florida they make them on the spot. They are a bit pricey usually $50. I also NEVER ride without a helmet which if fitted well reduces a lot of wind and outside noise. My preference currently is a NOLAN

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:36 pm

I've always worn ear plugs on the bike. There has been a certain pitch that causes me pain - same pitch in my wife's vacuum (but not my shop vac), my son when he screams... I wear plugs in my shop, when tuning cars, using the lawn mower and rototiller, etc.

I used the 3M molded ones but have now switch to the Jackson re-usable.
Attachments
Washable and comfortable in the shop - haven't tried them in the helmet.
Washable and comfortable in the shop - haven't tried them in the helmet.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

AZgl1800

Postby AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 pm

I bought two pair that look just like those. Found them at Walgreens

I think the double set cost me like $7 bucks?

Work a lot better than the soft foam ones that I had been using, and a whole lot easier to insert and remove.
John

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:09 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:I bought two pair that look just like those. Found them at Walgreens

I think the double set cost me like $7 bucks?

Work a lot better than the soft foam ones that I had been using, and a whole lot easier to insert and remove.

Mine were $1 each pair for Acklands
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

MNAspencade
Motorcycle: 1985 Gl1200 Aspencade

Postby MNAspencade » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:53 am

I am yet another one with this condition. I have tried some of the herbal remedies and for me found that it only changes the tones that I hear :( I would love to find a a local source for the custom molded pairs members have spoken of !! I do live in a large hunting area so perhaps a gun show would be a place to look. I would encourage anyone without this to still make use of hearing protection.

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:32 am

MNAspencade wrote:I am yet another one with this condition. I have tried some of the herbal remedies and for me found that it only changes the tones that I hear :( I would love to find a a local source for the custom molded pairs members have spoken of !! I do live in a large hunting area so perhaps a gun show would be a place to look. I would encourage anyone without this to still make use of hearing protection.

Most major cities have hearing protection sales. Friends of mine get special ones for concerts that block the decibel level withOUT "mumbling" the sound quality - They were around $150 CDN; I had a pair of the custom fit from when I managed a manufacturing plant - but a mouse liked my brand of ear wax and ate the ends off... those only cost around $70 CDN - but we had the company come out and make 40+ pairs.

I used the Jackson washable style I showed above for my last ride of the season yesterday... worked great to block the wind and bike noise - but I could still hear my teeth chattering... I just out ran this:
Attachments
Maybe it will melt before I tear into the bike...
Maybe it will melt before I tear into the bike...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”