Heated seats & gel pads

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Heated seats & gel pads

Postby seabeechief » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Has anyone tried a gel pad on a heated seat? Can you still feel the heat? I'm still looking for a comfortable seat. I think they are next door to the Unicorn ranch.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Heated seats & gel pads

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:02 pm

seabeechief wrote:I'm still looking for a comfortable seat. I think they are next door to the Unicorn ranch.Chief

Nope, cannot feel the heat through a gel pad. Comfortable seats can be had, but they can cost a pretty buck. The problem is that comfort is as illusive as the number of folks looking for it. I have an Ultimate heated seat, that I swear by, but I have a buddy that could not ride a hundred miles on his same seat. He got a Corbin, which cost about the same dollars, and loves it, but I cannot sit that seat for any distance at all. Road Sofa is a good seat, and Mustang makes one also. People love them, but I have no experience with them so cannot blow their horns. Chief, you gotta get to a large enough rally that you can find some seats to try. Wing Ding Rallies have all the seats available for Goldwings, in one place, which is probably six or seven brands. I was at Americade this past summer, and they had two brands to fit Goldwings, and Laconia had only one that I saw. Lastly, people have had their seats modified, using the stock saddle as a start. Any decent upholstery shop can take this task on and perform adequately. So, as you can see, comfort is possible, but must be found individually for every rider.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am

I agree. The Corbin I have on my GL1500 is the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on, I can (and have) ridden over 20 hours straight on it. My wife hates it. She prefers a cushy couch of a seat, which causes me pain within a few minutes.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Viking, I'm going to the Lone Star Rally in Galveston in November. I already have the WingSoft heated seat. It is more comfortable than the stock seat by a good margin. Then I got an Ultimate and I didn't think it was the answer, so I put the WingSoft back on. Now I think the Ultimate is more comfortable than the WingSoft, but not by much. The biggest obstacle to buying seats is the time you can sit on them before the purchase. One minute, or ten minutes, or thirty minutes will not tell you how your butt will feel after 6-8 hours in the saddle. If I could get the Goldwing engine in Harley Road King I would be in heaven. Ride Safe.

Chief
Darkside #1609

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:22 pm

I gotta tell ya, the seat is not the only variable in a long ride. I bought Underwear from LD Comfort, and it also made a difference. Each thing I have tried did something, sometimes good and sometimes bad. I did try the gel seat trick, and it worked for a little while. I tried sheepskin and for me it did nothing except make me sweat more. I got the Ultimate seat, and it probably gave me the most improvement in one fell swoop, and then I got the underwear and it gave me probably another 10 to 15 percent. The Ultimate seat gets a bit uncomfortable after about two hours, but once I fill up with gas and get back on, I am good for the rest of the day. As I wear the Ultimate seat in, it just gets better. As Wing Admin said, he gets the same thing from a Corbin. I got a couple of my buddies to spring for the LD Comfort undies, and they swear by them now also. They ain't cheap, but my butt don't cook. And they ain't real expensive either, at about $45. Google them. You might be surprised at the benefits.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 pm

I've got a heated Corbin and the wife uses a cheap gel pad and it does take a bit,but she definitely can feel the heat.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:I've got a heated Corbin and the wife uses a cheap gel pad and it does take a bit,but she definitely can feel the heat.

Cool. Thanks, Crhis.

Chief

Darkside #1609

Return to “Goldwing Chat”