Life without my Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Life without my Goldwing

Postby tom84std » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:47 am

Well it's been six months since I bought my VTX and Gave my Wing to my best friend (DFWM). Talking to him I can tell he thinks of the Wing as a family member. He absolutely loves the old bike. It had no malfunctions and is in very good shape. I made sure it was kept in good serviceable condition. Good paint, tires and a new seat. Runs perfectly. He is very smitten with it. He says the smooth, quick power just amazes him. He loves the old bike!
Likewise my new bike has turned out to be a pleasure. At around 800 Lbs it's a bit of a monster but I learned to adapt my technique and it's been a real pleasure. Easily maneuverable but simply gobs of torque and power to spare. Took a long trip when I first got it, and I ride it daily.
Flange bearings.. There was an issue among the VTX riders. Honda suspended the rear drive on a bearing, axle through the center race and the spline around the outer race. Did my Goldwing have this bearing? I don't remember. My bike's up on jacks right now waiting on the shipment of new wheel bearings plus that bearing(s), there are two. Previous owner took very good care but bearings are cheap and the time spent helps me get to know the bike.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Life without my Goldwing

Postby redial » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 am

Well, Tom, it sounds like good news and bad news! Good news is that you have passed on a bike that retains your stamp of approval. And the bad news is that we all have to go through a transition when we change bikes, but the good thing is that you can still make them work for you. Good luck with the VTX.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:20 am

May be time to add on "Goldwing Brother/Sister Bikes" to this website, eh? That way we all can learn about the other bikes everyone has and what they do.

Did I just create more work for Admin? Sorry bud ;)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:33 am

I never rode a VTX. I never even sat on one. They look nice, and even though it isn't a Goldwing, it is still a Honda. :-)

I figure a person has to choose what they want to ride. I haven't ridden a single motorcycle that (looking back on it) I'd definitely say "I'll never ride one of those again." I figure if we ride as long as we're able to ride safely, and we enjoy the riding... it doesn't really matter what we ride as long as we ride.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:36 am

Agreed, totally. Only bike I rode that I say I would not do it again is the old Yamaha Venture....the leg room leaves a lot to be desired, and no ability to adjust.

Everything else (vtwins, touring, etc.,) I would ride....it is the ride, not the bike mostly.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:21 pm

Mag wrote:May be time to add on "Goldwing Brother/Sister Bikes" to this website, eh? That way we all can learn about the other bikes everyone has and what they do.

Did I just create more work for Admin? Sorry bud ;)

That one is already on my list, so no more work. :) I like the name you came up with though!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”