2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Postby Paulcf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:51 am

Well I have read up on the "big news" from Honda about the 40th anniversary Goldwing! Frankly this is an insult and huge disappointment to Honda's devoted Goldwing owners/riders everywhere! For the 40th anniversary, they blackened the wheels and the exhaust, put a small emblem on the bike and give you a fancy key! That's it! No electrically adjustable windshield, no built in Bluetooth and so many more things that the competition has in spades.

I am sure Mr. Soichiro Honda is rolling in his grave!

Honda, who used to be the leader, is now content to sit back and just do small paint and décor changes to the Goldwing, essentially unchanged since 2001 (GL1800). Do they really expect me to pay over $30K (Canada) for a bike that is essentially identical and looks far WORSE than my 2003? I feel strongly that Honda doesn't care or want to invest money in the Goldwing, after all they probably do sell every one of them they make so why bother re-engineering a sales winner? Well I would say be very careful there Honda, witness what has happened to Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki when it comes to touring motorcycles. Honda seems focused on funky, futuristic bikes to attract new riders which is fine but it leaves those buyers with no modern touring bike to move up to in a year or 2. And look at the success of Can-Am and the Spyder...hate it or love it, it has opened up a new genre of motorcycling and opened it to new riders who may never have ridden a motorcycle. Honda's answer? Nothing.

Well folks, I don't know if you find this 40th anniversary Goldwing as insulting as I do...and thus I intend to display my disappointment via my wallet. I am selling my beloved Goldwing and as soon as it is sold, will buy a BMW K1600GTL with ABS brakes, GPS (yes I know certain models of the Goldwing have this), Bluetooth, on the fly suspension adjustments, drive by wire, and so much more that I won't go into all the modern advances incorporated in the BMW touring bike vs. the Goldwing, you probably know them more than me.

I guess it was bound to happen, can't complain, 40 years in motorcycling is a long time and the Goldwing gave it a good run, but time has caught up and passed the Goldwing and I am not staying behind anymore.

I look forward to hearing your feedback. Ride safe and wave at me on the open road!

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: 2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 am

I can't afford a new GoldWing no matter what they do to it so for me it's not a big deal.

I do agree with you though and think that Honda should listento their customers a little more. Lastly I have a friend who ditched his GoldWing for a BMW and now wishes he hadn't.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:51 pm

This is precisely what I wrote about in my Report from the Cleveland Motorcycle Show back in February - the first few pictures in that article are the BMW K1600GT, and bemoaning the lack of modern technology in the Goldwing - which the BMW has in spades.

I am not at all surprised that the "new" 2015 Goldwing has nothing but a few baubles and new paint color - that's all that Honda has been doing on the GL1800 for years now. And the fact that they have recently expanded the line to the F6B and Valkyrie, all using the same platform and engine, says to me that they have no plans to make drastic changes anytime soon. It would not make sense to release new bike designs based on a platform that they were about to dramatically overhaul. They would overhaul the platform, THEN release the new derivative designs. Instead, they released the F6B and Valkyrie based on the current platform, and that says to me, "we're intending to stick with this design for the long haul."

So my guess is that what we see is what we get for at least the near future. I would be surprised to see anything drastically new within the next few years.

Oh, starting in 2015, the F6B is officially renamed "F6B Gold Wing".

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I also like the BMW but hang out at the BMW forum and you will quickly discover the expensive maintenance and reliability issues that come with the BMW. Most seem ok with thousands it cost when the ABS goes out or when the final drive, brake lines, oil seals and so on fail. It all seems common and acceptable. As much as I like all the options and looks I don't know if I can give up the Honda reliability.

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Folks, in response to the 3 responses so far on this topic let me clarify a very important point that seems to be forgotten so far.

It is NOT whether the BMW K1600GTL bike is more reliable, or better, or worse, etc. In fact I may end up buying a Triumph Trophy SE Sport Touring bike...that doesn't matter. My post was IT IS about Honda's lack of advancement in technology & creativity for the Goldwing. Nothing else. After 40 years and we get blacked out wheels, mufflers, side covers and a fancy key?! Is this the best they can give us? Is this the Honda we all remember who introduced the world in 1969 to the CB-750? Or shortly thereafter the Goldwing and many more...

It is Honda's 'insult' to all of us who are devoted to Goldwing ownership. A 2015 Honda car (Accord, Civic, etc.) looks and has advancements in technology that a 2001 Accord, Civic, etc. could only dream about then. That is PROGRESS and ADVANCEMENT. Our 1800 Goldwings are essentially a model with design/technology conceived in the 1990's when the 1800 was being developed. If Honda advanced the systems/technology/accessories/features of the Goldwing, a lot of aftermarket suppliers would NOT exist today. Witness what happened to the Vetter Windjammer frame mounted fairing & matching luggage when the 1980 Interstate came out...virtually overnite aftermarket fairings disappeared from the industry.

WE, the riders, the owners, the dealers, etc. have helped to define the Goldwing to what it is today and the intellectual investment we get back in return is this dismal 2015 model?

Consider this: The 1980 Interstate and the 2015 Goldwing side by side look extremely the same in many aspects. You can see the lineage clearly, even a non rider would. Heck my 1980 Interstate had gauges on it like a VOLTMETER that the 2015 Goldwing doesn't even have! (I added an aftermarket voltmeter to my 2003). Look at the 2 bikes carefully...you will see how not much has really changed! Sure, 1100 cc to 1832 cc, but you should get my point.

I refuse to ride anymore a luxury touring motorcycle based on technology not far removed from 1980... just the same as you or I would NOT want to buy a car in 2015 that didn't have ABS, airbags, side curtain airbags, Bluetooth, and all the other improvements we've come to expect.

I wish Honda well, their challenges are big and I hope they pull it off.

See you on the highway!
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:45 am

golden highway wrote:I also like the BMW but hang out at the BMW forum and you will quickly discover the expensive maintenance and reliability issues that come with the BMW. Most seem ok with thousands it cost when the ABS goes out or when the final drive, brake lines, oil seals and so on fail. It all seems common and acceptable. As much as I like all the options and looks I don't know if I can give up the Honda reliability.

That is quite true. It seems the one thing I read universally from BMW owners is that things break, a lot, and when they do, it's expensive to fix. And this is seen as normal.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:09 am

Paulcf wrote:It is Honda's 'insult' to all of us who are devoted to Goldwing ownership. A 2015 Honda car (Accord, Civic, etc.) looks and has advancements in technology that a 2001 Accord, Civic, etc. could only dream about then. That is PROGRESS and ADVANCEMENT.

Since I purchase strippo models of cars and trucks, so as to NOT have all the breakdowns in technology possible, it does not disappoint me tremendously that Honda continues in this vein. I do understand the implied insult from a technocrats point of view as I am heavily into computers and their technology. In my vehicles however, I prefer reliability, and since my GL1800 will do everything I want it to do, I shall stick with Honda for the time being. This is not to say that I might not head over to the Spider line of three wheel bikes if physical impairment dictated. And I do love BMW cars. They also break down a lot so I do not own one, and local service and repair is totally non existent where I live. We have an excellent Honda Motorcycle dealership here for anything I cannot do myself, and the big three plus the Japanese big four all have service lines locally. One does what one thinks is best for oneself.

I wish you the best of luck in your BMW ownership. They are marvels of technology, beautiful and functional, and with any luck will stand up well. And if they do not, you live in an area with all the service and repair facilities you could possibly need. Hopefully, you will drop in occasionally to regale us with your experiences.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby curley » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 pm

IMO...Honda Motor Company is having a tough time in ALL areas that they market products whether it be in 2 wheels or 4...the economic down turn along with the competition from Korean car brands and the nuclear disaster that affected the supply chain for many Japanese based companies are some of the big factors affecting their ability to be class leaders with the Goldwing model.
1) Someone is watching the store as it has been reported that Honda Exec.s have taken pay cuts due to poor management of auto recalls:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/ ... FR20141023
2) Honda has always competed with BMW , as it was the only other company building both 2 and 4 wheel vehicles (it may have set a trend: Suzuki has tried to copy the strategy, Ducati is now part of Volkswagen and MV Augusta has just announced a 25% ownership by Mercedes Benz) ...I'm watching the Acura division as the group leading the rest of the (Honda)corporation back into a leadership role in both 2 wheels and 4 ( the new NSX is being built in Ohio (where the Goldwing was once built), a 4 wheel hybrid to compete with the beemer's i8).
3) The Goldwing was built for American roads (Interstates) ..and it does it job very well (having ridden the last two 3 flags tour (Mexico to Canada over the Labor Day weekend, two up) appox half the field is populated by Goldwings)
4) we don't need Bluetooth interface ..what we need is Smart phone interface with excellent voice recognition (I believe Ford is still struggling with MS on this Voice issue in their vehicles)...the Smart Phone does almost everything we need
5) Honda has grown and with it has become a big battleship/aircraft carrier, the days of quick maneuvers and first to market may be behind it, but once it gets going in the right direction...there's no stopping it

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:32 pm

I personally like the 40th Anniversary Wing in the red/black look. The GL1800 may have not changed in 14 years, but look at the HD touring models, they introduced a Twin Cooled Engine and increased the displacement; the engine style has changed in years either. The bikes have larger gauges and an infotainment unit, the Electra-glide still has the same 'Bat wing' fairing. HD doesn't seem to change what works and has for many years kept the iconic design. I'm sure the HD camp feels the same way about minor changed to the touring models.
Personally I don't like European bikes and if the Wing were to vanish, I'd be buying an HD Freewheeler Trike.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:19 am

I was so frustrated with non-adjustable handle bars, no mp3 player.. etc etc.. I bought a 2010 HD Electraglide Ultra Classic LTD for $18k and never looked back. It's more comfortable than the GL1800 ever was. Tons of aftermarket accessories, that don't cost an arm an leg, and came fully equipped plus had heated grips, cruise, MP3 capable, MP3 CD player, ABS, CB radio, Alarm system, cig lighter in the dash and power port in the trunk and I'm getting more than 20k miles on a set of tires! In fact I have 24k on my front tire and still have 4/32 left. It gets well over 40 mpg on the highway. Often around 48mpg. If I take back roads and keep it under 60mph I get 50+ consistently. Floor boards and heel/toe shifter standard. Just about all of the things I didn't like about my GL1800 I like about this HD.

Just my 2 cents but I'll not be buying a new GL especially for the price they are asking now.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:56 am

WingAdmin wrote:
golden highway wrote:I also like the BMW but hang out at the BMW forum and you will quickly discover the expensive maintenance and reliability issues that come with the BMW. Most seem ok with thousands it cost when the ABS goes out or when the final drive, brake lines, oil seals and so on fail. It all seems common and acceptable. As much as I like all the options and looks I don't know if I can give up the Honda reliability.

That is quite true. It seems the one thing I read universally from BMW owners is that things break, a lot, and when they do, it's expensive to fix. And this is seen as normal.

Mind you, with a price difference (in the UK) of $5000, you can buy a lot of repairs.

Another problem here is the shrinking Honda dealer network. At one time, practically every town and city had its own Honda dealer, now they are very thin on the ground.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:34 am

I don't mean to counter anything said in any way. I have no argument whatsoever with any opinion expressed, however I just looked at the bike mentioned in the post for the first time just now. My changing bikes recently has a lot to do with the subject. Luxury motorcycles. Bluetooth and smartphone compatibility. I can't say those words together easily. I rode a Goldwing 90,000 miles because it was large and powerful and had basic design characteristics that allowed me to ride for twelve hours without a lot of pain and discomfort. Intercoms and sound systems are (to me) distractions which can get me killed. My passenger has a helmet mounted sound thing she listens to when we ride but I don't want to hear it. The sound of the engine and the road are my feedback on how things are operating and reacting and I want to hear them all whenever I'm moving my body parts inches away from asphalt at 100 inches per second. I really think the new bike is alright. I do understand that an anniversary edition should probably be a little more outstanding in the lineup and I can also understand how followers might expect a little more.

garyculb
Motorcycle: 2014 BMW K1600GTL

Postby garyculb » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:54 am

Each Bike (GW,HD& BMW) has its own features that appeal to specific riders. I loved the comfort & reliability of my Fully Traxxioned Goldwing. I would have certainly purchased another if Honda had made any effort to keep up with todays technology. Yes, I switched to a motorcycle brand I never thought I would ever own, a BMW.

My experience with the BMW K1600 is that it is a High Performance motorcycle. Most K1600 riders that I have interacted with are very experienced riders that appreciate the power, performance, technology & agility of the bike. The BMW requires a bit more TLC & is not for everyone, nor should it be.

Since, I can do allot of the service myself maintenance cost are similar to the Goldwing. The list of farkles is 1/10th that of a Goldwing. The GW is a very reliable ride & the best 2 up Touring Motorcycle. Yes, I would go back to Honda if they provided the same features, technology & horsepower as the BMW. But, we all know that is not going to happen. Best,

DOC :P :P

PennIT
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 HPNM

Postby PennIT » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 am

I bought a 2010 Harley Ultra Limited in Aug 2013. I sold it in May 2014 for a 2010 Honda Goldwing Navi XM. While I achieved what I wanted in comfort and convenience, I remain underwhelmed by the bike. No Bluetooth, the XM radio is garbage and I have a trunk rattle that's just about embarrassing for a 23k bike.

Reliability is important for sure but unless the Wing undergoes a serious transformation by 2016, then I will look hard at another manufacturer. At 30k this bike needs to be superior in every category. This bike should be technologically and mechanically superior in every aspect.

Honda should be shamed for taking their loyal riders for granted. That Indian Roadmaster is looking pretty good right about now

JerriEric
Motorcycle: GL1800 '06

Postby JerriEric » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:18 am

I will turn 100,000 miles on my '06 soon and have always said this is probably my last Wing. Next bike will most likely be another brand unless Honda does some big upgrades to the electronics and gets rid of those ugly rear bags. :mrgreen:

pwjohnson041
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby pwjohnson041 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:31 am

If you have a 2007-1014, there simply no reason to buy new except for a different color. That's not a heck of a lot of reason to upgrade. I know I won't - love mine too much as it is.

indygoldwing05
Motorcycle: honda gl1800 2005

Postby indygoldwing05 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:51 am

I think honda has turned its focus to trying to sell advanced new designs to new sellers and turned its focus from the touring big bike format. I think the valkyrie is flat out ugly i do like the f6 though but do believe honda has "priced" itself out of the market on these bikes. I never thought I would want a bmw or triumph but with these unbelievable prices for a glowing gold wing I have to look at them. the price of a new gold wing over what I paid for my 2005 has almost doubled in 10 years with basically the same machine under the bodywork that has barely changed. I do not think Honda is really interested in selling bikes to our age group anymore and wants the younger riders focus only. Only my opinion but am very disappointed

dubonnet
Motorcycle: 96 GL1500 SE
07 GL 1800

Postby dubonnet » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:53 am

I have a 2007 1800 GW (non air bag model) and I don't see any newer Honda product that I would be inclined to buy.
I believe the second generation body style is not an improvement and there doesn't seem to be any mechanical or electrical improvements to speak of.

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby johnny42 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:06 am

Keep in mind, if Honda decides to add all those bells and whistles mentioned in this thread, Gold Wings will get expensive.

raw2000se
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
2000 GL1500 SE

Postby raw2000se » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 am

Honda need to 'Wake Up & Smell The Roses" regarding the excessive pricing structure for the new Goldwing!
Technology has arrived in the competitive bikes and consumers are smarter and better informed when making purchases.
Do you homework Honda...or lose market share ......be very careful with your superficial new model decisions....buyers are more intelligent than you give them credit for.....or you will find your way following the domestic auto manufacturers.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:19 am

Why the big surprise? I love Wings just as much as anyone else. But when I had my 82 Interstate and back then Honda introduced the Limited Addition Aspencade. The dealers and Honda were stating that there would only be one per dealer and that you had best get it while you could. What a crock! There was one a week, maybe one a day. Everyone was able to get one and they got the nickname of the Unlimited Edition.
So why would anyone be so surprised now? I expect it. Sorry to be so negative but it is in Honda Motorcycle's history. I ride my F6B now and love it.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby toanogreen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:36 am

Some of these comments are very long and as stated by some, off the topic. And I agree. I will be brief. To me, $30,000 is too much for ANY motorcycle! Where I'm from $30K is too much for a car.

ksigurdsen
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby ksigurdsen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:43 am

It is very extremely disappointing that Honda has forgotten how the owners have contributed to 40 years of success and profit to their bottom line. I was just a teenager when the Goldwing celebrated its 10th anniversary in 1985 with the GL1200 SE. That model boasted many innovations like electronic cruise control, premium sound system, self leveling suspension, travel computer and electronic fuel injection. The 20th anniversary belonging to the GL1500, was celebrated with a commemorative book that detailed the history of how Honda listened to and implemented many suggestions from the owners that helped keep the Goldwing the best in its class. The GL1800 has been the King of touring for close to 15 years now but Honda can't expect to stay on the throne just by changing the color of his robes.

DoctorZ
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800
1987 GL1200Aspencade

Postby DoctorZ » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 am

In 2005, I decided to 'upgrade' from my '87 Aspencade to a BMW K1200LT, the 1600's predecessor.
I paid $18.5K for the new bike, fully loaded, including NAVI (old tech, it was never satisfactory.)
The BMW, now 9 years old, still only has 2.5K miles on it :-( In 2006, I bought a GL1800 and the Bimmer continues to collect dust, ridden only when I have motorcyclist guests who didn't ride in.
Why? Simply put, the Goldwing is far more more comfortable for driver and passenger AND, just easier to handle: more stable at low speeds and when stopped. The BMW has a much higher center of gravity and if you're 60+ like me, it can be a bit unnerving if your legs and back aren't as strong as they once were. I will say that I wish Honda would offer the electric center stand and windscreen that are on the BMW; they are both very handy features. Anyone want to buy a cherry BMW?

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:29 am

This thread and the thoughts and sentiments that everyone is posting reminds me of the 25 anniversary GL1500. The 1500 was getting long in the tooth and no longer showing significant improvement or advancement in terms of styling, mechanics and technology. It did not offer any significant options over what was already available on other trim packages. Everyone was clamouring for and significantly disappointed in not seeing the next generation GoldWing the GL1800. What happened the following year? The 1800 arrived. I wonder if history will repeat itself and the next generation GoldWing will arrive soon.

Personally most of my GoldWing experience is limited to the 1100 with very recently getting my hands on a 1500, so I can't speak for the 1800. On my 1500 I am somewhat disappointed that it does not have a gear indicator, volt metre or temp gauge and that I have to look to after market accessories to fill this void. But does this lack or technology which was present or a previous generation bike take away from my ride experience? Would having this tech or tech found on other bikes enhance my ride? Not at all. I LOVE the 1500, the feel of the bike, the features and options it has, the power, everything. The bike is what the bike is. Blingy tech does not make my bike better and I doubt it would make the 1800 better either. My friends like to tease me riding my OLDwing, but what are they doing? They are selling their bike because it does not ride well, it is uncomfortable, it shakes their teeth out, it is forever broken down and/or needing repairs to gadgets and tech. I just keep riding because I have the best, most solid bike made.

Craig

Return to “Goldwing Chat”