2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
shadowandgoldwing
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 GoldWing

Re: 2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Post by shadowandgoldwing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:25 pm

OMG.

I have a '06 & a '15 GoldWing gl1800 & I'm very satisfied with BOTH.
Having operated Harleys, a BMW & other street bikes, I would not ride any other bike on a long trip than either one of my GW's.

NO DISAPPOINTMENT HERE!

I guess that makes me different.

So be it.

shadowandgoldwing
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 GoldWing

Post by shadowandgoldwing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:43 pm

And, of course, the more useless crap you have on a bike, the more crap will eventually break.

I prefer reliability.

My GoldWing took me Atlantic to Pacific & most other states in between. Never had a breakdown.

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Post by Wingrider44 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Lots of complaints about what is probably the best touring motorcycle ever designed and marketed. Kinda hard for me to understand.

I've owned every iteration of the Gold Wing. And I've enjoyed each and every one of them. Plus they just kept getting better and better. No I have not owned an 1800 built in Japan. I presently ride a 2009 with Navi and XM. One thing that had been on my bucket list was to own a Harley Davidson. So I traded in a Gold Wing for a 2010 HD Electra Glide Ultra 7,000 miles on it in May of this year. And I have to say that the HD was fun to ride and surprisingly smooth on the highway. I wouldn't have hesitated to take it on a long trip. With that said however, the HD is NO Gold Wing. When it comes to plain old touring comfort, I've not found anything as good as the GW. First of all, until 2014 with the Rushmore Project, Harley Davidson was in a rut of their own making. They sold a life style which included a motorcycle which at best was 1950's technology. The overhead valve engine was first patented in 1949. Even today, HD uses this comparatively ancient technology in their power plant. Push rods actuating the valves for heaven's sake. Sure they made a number of other improvements particularly in their electronics. And the fairing was modified for better wind handling. The redesigned frame of the bike came out in 2009 which was a huge improvement in the Harley touring line and the tail of the bike didn't wag when cornering spiritedly.

So since mine was a 2010 HD it rode very well and tracked nicely. But to me the most disconcerting thing was the sound of the engine. Not the exhaust. No, the sounds emanating from within the engine. To me it sounded like it was literally eating itself alive. And I realized that was the reason for it to be a comparatively short lived engine. Plus, I am so used to the smooth, machine sound of the Wing engine that the HD engine noise destroyed any confidence I had in it.

Building motorcycles is a business. By definition, a business is supposed to make a profit for its owners and/or investors. The Honda Gold Wing has had a target painted on it for many years since it defined the touring class of motorcycles. Other metric bikes tried and failed to compete with the platform. In my opinion, Honda has done an excellent job designing an awesome bike but at the same time they have protected it's customers' investment in these bikes by a conservative redesign policy. This policy maintained resale prices for many years. The wheels pretty much came off the motorcycle market with a crummy economy. Thus, Honda is playing a balancing act with updating and profits.

Bottom line of this whole story is that I now ride a 2009 Wing and I can tell you that when I jumped on the 2009 from my 2010 HD I felt like I took a giant step into the future. And I'm thrilled to be home again on a GL1800. By the way, I've owned three GL1500 Gold Wings over the years. And as far as sheer riding comfort for the long haul, the GL1500 has no equal. But that smooth 1800 cc horsepower and torque? What can I say? FREAKING AWESOME!!! YMMV.
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Paulcf
Motorcycle: not listed

Post by Paulcf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 pm

It is interesting to get caught up on the posts to this article I originally posted.

Goldwingers need to remember that it is NOT a complaint ABOUT the Goldwing, but rather a concern about the stoic laid back treatment and dearth of product development on the bike over the years since its 2001 release. I don't expect Honda (or any other company) to radically modify it every year BUT some significant technology updates, that are robust and proven, would be nice. I can list some but I am sure we all know what we'd like to see on a 2016 Goldwing.

Yes it is the best touring bike out there, but the other manufacturers have not been sitting idle...and frankly I am now getting more interested in the newer Harley Davidson touring bikes. I thought I'd never say that!

As for 2016, the beloved Goldwing remains totally unchanged for its 41st year. Since 2001 (comparing to the first year of the GL1800 model) I think the Honda Civic has had several major revisions, including one major one in 2013 after the 2012 revised model was rated very badly by Consumer Reports and other automotive media.

Surely Honda can come out with more than black exhaust pipes and a fancy key on a motorcycle that costs more than the Honda Civic automobile does?

I don't think we are asking too much here. After all, would you pay $35K for a (brand new 2016) Honda Civic that looked, performed and was equipped almost the same as a 2001 Civic? I doubt it.

triwing
Motorcycle: 84 gl 1200,87int,91asp

Post by triwing » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:20 pm

When the old man died, so did the real Honda Spirit. :cry: As ANY previous problem's were dealt with, & processes changed, to satisfy the customer's needs,& wants. :D Has became a typical, American Co, :shock: take the money & run. :?

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm

? Wow! I bought a GW Aspencade because it is a HONDA GOLDWING- the engine, the ride and all the stuff you can put on it. I didn't buy it because it has Bluetooth or green tooth or GPS or cute little electronic gauges. If that is what you want out of a motorcycle- then go buy it- even if it isn't a GW. All the stuff the original write bemoans, can be added and have better stuff. GPS from the factory- be it Honda or GM or Ford or Harley, will always be dated, and behind the curve- it CANNOT be up to date because of production time schedules.
Technology for motorcycles belongs in the engine, drive train, frame, suspension and of course, for us old folks, seating. All the bells and whistles? so what. buy what you want to add. don't blame Honda for continuing to sell what is successful- the Gold Wing.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urbanmadness » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:51 pm

I think the current model would of been great if they added an electronic windshield, bluetooth and wireless headsets.... Other then that, they are almost perfect.... Oh, and bring back the hydraulic tappets please.... Shim and bucket... step backwards on a machine that is suppose to be maintenance free.

Best of the 1500 (should of carried thru to the 1800)
comfort leg room
hydraulic valve adjustment

Best of the 1800
Mono rear swing arm
Chain driven Cams
Fuel Injection
GPS/Nav

Things they should of added in 2011 during the Facelift
Blue Tooth
Electronic Windshield
Again, Hydraulic Valve tappets
Wireless Headsets

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:20 pm

I bought my 40th anniversary because it didn't have all the blue tooth digital stuff. Didn't want ABS, traction, ride by wire, electric shield, outdated navi. Wanted analog gages, big buttons, standard electronics, no expensive modules. I rode everything. The mighty wing is a badass. Smooth, powerful, great brakes, super balanced, great prorection, can add what you want. All for under 20k for a brand new audio comfort bike. You can't beat that. 40+mpg. Best seat, most comfortable riding position, far and away best stock seat and passenger accommodations. Excellent forks for 150lb rider. I rode the Rushmore bikes, sorry ponderous, hot, loud, paint shakers. Victory, just sad in every way. Bmw, poor passenger, top heavy, one fall from a big bill. Ducatis awesome but lots of very costly electric issues and all lack that smooth feeling, buffetless experience of the mighty wing.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:38 pm

Yamaha announced the FJR1300 for 2016 with more improvements: LED lighting, lighting that illuminates when you turn/lean the bike (like the BMW 1600), a SIXTH gear! And many more improvements. They are continually improving their sport/touring motorcycle. Impressive.

Why can't Honda do something, at least ONE thing so we know the Goldwing isn't on life support?

ONE THING Honda, is that too much to ask?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 pm

I own an'08 1800 and my rejuvenation project '85 LTD. The GW is the ultimate touring machine, highly reliable and comfortable once you have it dialed in for yourself. Rode my '08 for some 35K Kms last year - trip to San Diego and back to Victoria, and to Northern Ontario via the US and back. Hit Sturgis as well, quite the experience. Never had an issue on either trips except for tires - had also upgraded the suspension to the Traxion suspension (Full Monty). Put a CT on the back in Ontario and no issues since. I will also state that no matter what bike you ride, a 1,000 Km day for 5 days gives you a sore backside even on a GW.

Honda has a great bike and it can stay that way, but Honda must get with the times. When you consider the biggest competitor is the 1600 BMW for not much more money and what it comes with, makes one think of different possibilities. The HD, nice close to home machine for my taste, but that is me. My friends and I have a nice gentlemanly rivalry going, especially when we are out riding.

Getting back to the GW, it needs to be freshened up, give the public what it wants and it will stay as the quintessential touring machine. Better suspension that maintains its integrity past 40K, bluetooth, adjustable electric windshield, suspension change on the fly, possibly integrate different ride modes (my son-in-law has it on his Motto Guzzi California Touring), and others. The dash is a bit dated, the look needs to be refined. The GW is a great bike, but it does need to be looked at from a fresh perspective.

If you are going to look at a new touring bike, there are several choices out there. If you are looking at an older touring bike, there really is no substitute for an older GW.

Just some thoughts on the issue. Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

B11rger
Motorcycle: GL 1800 29013

Post by B11rger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Paulcf wrote:Yamaha announced the FJR1300 for 2016 with more improvements: LED lighting, lighting that illuminates when you turn/lean the bike (like the BMW 1600), a SIXTH gear! And many more improvements. They are continually improving their sport/touring motorcycle. Impressive.

Why can't Honda do something, at least ONE thing so we know the Goldwing isn't on life support?

ONE THING Honda, is that too much to ask?
I too noticed this, I think this could be my next machine to replace my wing. I am disappointed in the quality of my 2013 UK model. It has had the rocker covers replaced due to corrosion, it is on its 3rd set of wheels, due to the lacquer peeling off. It has been in to the local Honda dealer FIVE times for them to rectify a poor radio reception. It is going back in for the sixth time to have the radio unit replaced. Not to mention the recall for the brakes..... And the bike has only covered 8,000 miles. certainly wouldn't buy another one....as I have nothing good to say about them or Honda's dealing with my problems.
The other thing I find useless about this bike in this day and age is there is no illumination on the heated seat or heated grip switches, yet Honda went to the bother of illuminating the controls on the handles...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:10 pm

B11rger wrote:I too noticed this, I think this could be my next machine to replace my wing. I am disappointed in the quality of my 2013 UK model. It has had the rocker covers replaced due to corrosion, it is on its 3rd set of wheels, due to the lacquer peeling off. It has been in to the local Honda dealer FIVE times for them to rectify a poor radio reception. It is going back in for the sixth time to have the radio unit replaced. Not to mention the recall for the brakes..... And the bike has only covered 8,000 miles. certainly wouldn't buy another one....as I have nothing good to say about them or Honda's dealing with my problems.
The other thing I find useless about this bike in this day and age is there is no illumination on the heated seat or heated grip switches, yet Honda went to the bother of illuminating the controls on the handles...
It's sad to say, with 15 years of production under their belt, there is no excuse for problems like that. The only viable reasons are reduction in component quality in an attempt to reduce production costs, or poor QA - or both.

noviwinger
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Post by noviwinger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 pm

My take on it is that Honda should be making incremental advancements over the life of a design. Useful advances like traction control, ABS on all models, Electrically adjustable wind screen. I am not a fan of the bluetooth addition because all too often you become limited to what bluetooth accessories you can add to the bluetooth system. Incompatibilities with bluetooth abound, just ask those BMW riders that use Bluetooth. A 6th gear would be great, if it is tall enough to provide real overdrive, You should not be able to ride in the top gear at 30-35 mile's per hour, but that's how I think. What Honda does give us is the best no holds barred luxury comfort long distance bike in the world. Who cares if it is missing hitech (break prone) do-dads. I will take it over any other bike that pretends to be in the Goldwing Category.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:03 pm

It's not about those of us that ride and like the GW, past or present. It's about attracting the next generation of riders to keep the legacy/mystique going. The need for connectivity, horsepower, definitely a change in the gearbox, a not so old man look or mindset would go a long way to attracting new riders. Take the bike back a few years and strip away some of the plastic and let it look like a motorcycle instead of 2 wheels encased in plastic. The GW is quite agile, and with a suspension upgrade is capable of dancing with some of the best sport touring bikes around. HD is still the best at PR and it shows. People will buy a stock HD bagger and then drop $5K to $10K for customization so the money is out there. Give some different exhaust options, let a person customize the sound of his bike.

The Honda market in North America is quite small compared to its world wide sales. Honda needs to step up its game all round. It has automobile advertisements about the "Civic Nation", why not the GW. Victory and the new Indian brand are competition as well. Let's hope Honda isn't into the mindset of Adidas from the '60s and early '70s. To get brand recognition back after loosing ground is extremely difficult.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Paulcf

Post by Paulcf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:It's not about those of us that ride and like the GW, past or present. It's about attracting the next generation of riders to keep the legacy/mystique going. The need for connectivity, horsepower, definitely a change in the gearbox, a not so old man look or mindset would go a long way to attracting new riders. Take the bike back a few years and strip away some of the plastic and let it look like a motorcycle instead of 2 wheels encased in plastic. The GW is quite agile, and with a suspension upgrade is capable of dancing with some of the best sport touring bikes around. HD is still the best at PR and it shows. People will buy a stock HD bagger and then drop $5K to $10K for customization so the money is out there. Give some different exhaust options, let a person customize the sound of his bike.

The Honda market in North America is quite small compared to its world wide sales. Honda needs to step up its game all round. It has automobile advertisements about the "Civic Nation", why not the GW. Victory and the new Indian brand are competition as well. Let's hope Honda isn't into the mindset of Adidas from the '60s and early '70s. To get brand recognition back after loosing ground is extremely difficult.
I really like what Rednaxs60 has said! Imagine a Wing selling for $10K less than presently. Hey, it's not like there's been a lot spent by Honda R&D on the bike! Then, like Scion does, allows you to customize it the way you really want it! Didn't the 1980 Interstate kill the market for aftermarket fairings like Windjammer and such? Honda could easily do this, by making the stereo something you can buy or design it so that you can use an automotive type maybe? I remember Subaru a few years ago designed their cars with a built in OEM cradle for Garmin GPS's ... how clever! Why spend $3K for a factory OEM GPS when you could use the Best of Breed GPS? BMW I 'think' might have that setup on their GT/GTL 1600 whereby you can put your GPS into the space in the dash?

Honda is missing the boat big time with all the extra spending...

I know Bluetooth is a concern for a lot of folks and frankly I don't care for it myself BUT I would like to see a 6th gear and an electric windshield and a general refreshing of the bike.

I do find the trunk on 2012+ Goldwings looks totally out of 'symmetry' with the angular creases of the saddlebags...when you look at the rear, it doesn't 'flow' properly.

So many ideas, so many devoted owners and they are NOT attracting any new people...they will go to Harley, Vision, Yamaha, Can-Am, etc. And Honda Canada is really going downhill, they don't even sell the ST1300 anymore. That bike began in 2003, is this the same fate facing our GL1800?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 pm

The problem with technology on bikes (and cars) is that it is long obsolete by the time it gets to market.

I hate to say it, but they would almost be better off creating a Goldwing "app" that you run on a phone, and sticking the phone in the dash. Let it do the navigation, radio, Bluetooth, whatever. If the phone breaks, or new not-yet-thought-of technology emerges, just replace the phone and re-load the new, improved Goldwing app. New feature, or need to bug-fix an existing one? Just push an automatic update over the air, instead of having to go visit the dealer. That way you keep the newest functionality at the lowest cost.

Spook1800
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800
1995 GL1500A
1999 Harley Davidson Road King

Post by Spook1800 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The problem with technology on bikes (and cars) is that it is long obsolete by the time it gets to market.

I hate to say it, but they would almost be better off creating a Goldwing "app" that you run on a phone, and sticking the phone in the dash. Let it do the navigation, radio, Bluetooth, whatever. If the phone breaks, or new not-yet-thought-of technology emerges, just replace the phone and re-load the new, improved Goldwing app. New feature, or need to bug-fix an existing one? Just push an automatic update over the air, instead of having to go visit the dealer. That way you keep the newest functionality at the lowest cost.
What?????.....my phone is steam powered.....................
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
When the last tree has been cut down, when the last stream is poisoned, only then will mankind realise that we can not eat money!
I'm Larry the Spook and I'm ALMOST NORMAL!

barnaclebill
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing SE Trike conversion (Totally submerged in 2011 floods),
rebuilt with replacement 1992 engine

Post by barnaclebill » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:28 am

tom84std wrote:I don't mean to counter anything said in any way. I have no argument whatsoever with any opinion expressed, however I just looked at the bike mentioned in the post for the first time just now. My changing bikes recently has a lot to do with the subject. Luxury motorcycles. Bluetooth and smartphone compatibility. I can't say those words together easily. I rode a Goldwing 90,000 miles because it was large and powerful and had basic design characteristics that allowed me to ride for twelve hours without a lot of pain and discomfort. Intercoms and sound systems are (to me) distractions which can get me killed. My passenger has a helmet mounted sound thing she listens to when we ride but I don't want to hear it. The sound of the engine and the road are my feedback on how things are operating and reacting and I want to hear them all whenever I'm moving my body parts inches away from asphalt at 100 inches per second. I really think the new bike is alright. I do understand that an anniversary edition should probably be a little more outstanding in the lineup and I can also understand how followers might expect a little more.

I like your argument, Tom. You are absolutely correct in saying that when you re riding - touring -the only thing you want to hear is the sound of your bike! I dont go for these "luxuries" either. No Bluetooth, smartphones, intercoms (I'm a solo rider anyway) and sound systems for me. Keep it simple, there's enough to worry about on the road these days! Happy riding, Tom.

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Post by Wingrider44 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:17 pm

barnaclebill wrote:
tom84std wrote:I don't mean to counter anything said in any way. I have no argument whatsoever with any opinion expressed, however I just looked at the bike mentioned in the post for the first time just now. My changing bikes recently has a lot to do with the subject. Luxury motorcycles. Bluetooth and smartphone compatibility. I can't say those words together easily. I rode a Goldwing 90,000 miles because it was large and powerful and had basic design characteristics that allowed me to ride for twelve hours without a lot of pain and discomfort. Intercoms and sound systems are (to me) distractions which can get me killed. My passenger has a helmet mounted sound thing she listens to when we ride but I don't want to hear it. The sound of the engine and the road are my feedback on how things are operating and reacting and I want to hear them all whenever I'm moving my body parts inches away from asphalt at 100 inches per second. I really think the new bike is alright. I do understand that an anniversary edition should probably be a little more outstanding in the lineup and I can also understand how followers might expect a little more.

I like your argument, Tom. You are absolutely correct in saying that when you re riding - touring -the only thing you want to hear is the sound of your bike! I dont go for these "luxuries" either. No Bluetooth, smartphones, intercoms (I'm a solo rider anyway) and sound systems for me. Keep it simple, there's enough to worry about on the road these days! Happy riding, Tom.
I'd like to take issue with the above statements. I know this it is not exactly on the subject of being disappointed with the Goldwing (which is akin to being disappointed with a wet dream.......geez, I can't imagine). But just listening to the engine and the sound of the wind rushing by while cruising at "100 inches per second" is NOT conducive to keeping yourself alert and ready for action. To the contrary, that kind of grey noise dulls the senses and helps to induce white line hypnosis. It is far better to break up the monotony with either music or a conversation with a passenger or fellow rider. When I'm riding by myself I will turn on my radio and listen for an hour or so. Then maybe listen to my MP3 player for a while probably followed by just listening to the bike going down the road. The switching back and forth keeps me alert and I enjoy the ride much more because I'm aware of every second of it. On my Goldwing (just like yours), it only takes a push of ONE button to accomplish this.

But as always, YMMV. :) :)
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Post by salty1 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:06 am

cbx4evr wrote:I can't afford a new GoldWing no matter what they do to it so for me it's not a big deal.

I do agree with you though and think that Honda should listento their customers a little more. Lastly I have a friend who ditched his GoldWing for a BMW and now wishes he hadn't.
I also have a friend that bought your desired BMW and was very disappointed. Within a year he bought a Victory Cross Country and now he is much happier. FWIW. :?

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:09 am

I'm coming up on my 72nd birthday, so spending over 30k on a motorcycle isn't in the cards. Neither is a 3 wheeler, which, in my opinion, is like having the disadvantages both a car and a motorcycle, and you can't put the top up in the rain. Druther have my Gl1500, which, incidentally, is better looking than a GL1800, anyway.
My bride just bought a new Vulcan SE. It's extremely sharp, and I can't wait until she gives me permission to take it for a ride (she insists it must be broke-in). It has ABS and the gauges have a lot of nice bells and whistles. But it doesn't have cruise control or reverse. So, again, druther have my GL1500.

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:04 am

jandjgoldwing wrote:I'm coming up on my 72nd birthday, so spending over 30k on a motorcycle isn't in the cards. Neither is a 3 wheeler, which, in my opinion, is like having the disadvantages both a car and a motorcycle, and you can't put the top up in the rain. Druther have my Gl1500, which, incidentally, is better looking than a GL1800, anyway.
My bride just bought a new Vulcan SE. It's extremely sharp, and I can't wait until she gives me permission to take it for a ride (she insists it must be broke-in). It has ABS and the gauges have a lot of nice bells and whistles. But it doesn't have cruise control or reverse. So, again, druther have my GL1500.
Amen to that! The 1500 is a GREAT BIKE! And you look good yourself!

iancardwell
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing GL1800airbag 2012

Post by iancardwell » Sat May 14, 2016 3:58 pm

I know the GL18 is a bit long in the tooth and it is starting to show its age BUT it IS a fantastic motorcycle and in my opinion it has no equal.

Having said that, I think Honda will be busily working away on a replacement for it and should hopefully launch it soon.
Let's just hope the replacement is t a 3 wheel trike like the NEOwing that they displayed at last years Japan motor show.
However, I think I t does show that Honda are aware of where their market is moving and how they may want to regain the Top Dog slot

ian@winginit.org
Goldwing tours,
Routine servicing,
GPS systems,
Accessory fitting,
Powder coating,

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Sat May 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Riding long distance on a cruiser, and the associated pains that come with, convinced me I needed another Goldwing.
My Goldwings of the past provided what I want now in a motorcycle. I searched the ads and got the newest Goldwing I could get with the money I had.
I would have been perfectly happy with an Interstate model. What it lacked and I wanted, I could add. But I ended up getting a 1500 SE.
Although not everything worked on it, the major thing I wanted did work. That smooth, powerful Honda engine, the transmission, suspension, radio and carrying capacity. The seat, although not in the best condition, is serviceable.

Bluetooth and all the other things may be important to some, and that's fine, but the basic, reliable touring platform is most important to me.

Oddly enough, at the moment my SE is out of service because I'm waiting on delivery of a new reverse lever switch :roll: and a reverse (or neutral) switch I fubar'ed trying to figure out what was wrong. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Subhunter76
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 aspencade with sidecar

Post by Subhunter76 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:09 am

Got to be practical for me, farkels and gadgets are great, but give me a reliable ride with low maintance cost and a reasonable sticker price and I will add what I want when I can. When your talking about a $30000 motorcycle though it should be loaded like a Mercedes or a bentley. Seems like way to much money to be charging for a motorcycle.