2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RacerM95
Motorcycle: 1977 GL-1000

Re: 2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) disappointment

Post by RacerM95 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 pm

@ Paulcf, I did understand your post... I will stand by the little that I mentioned.. Although I will agree that a 6th gear would be nice,
MP3/Bluetooth capability is easily rectified by a deck change... one can get a deck with both for under 300.00 Long way from 30k The idea of adjust on the fly suspension, mmmm that Im not too sure about....

Ride like you are invisible, Because you are ! Only 2 exceptions to that, 1) You ride a Harley, They hear ya coming a mile away ! 2) You ride a Goldwing, You are too dayum big to miss !!!!!

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Post by golden highway » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:45 pm

I decided to check out the 2015 Goldwing myself since I don't always trust what other people post. What I found is lot of upgrades and improvements way beyond paint and an exhaust. Check for yourself and I think you will like what you see.

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Post by waituntilthebeep » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Paulcf wrote:I think the intent and purpose of my original post has been lost and confused. Let me hopefully reset the purpose for all readers.

1. It is not about cramming more 'technology' into the bike. It is about tweaking/improving the 'technology' therein, such as a 6th overdrive gear.

2. Reliability. That is not an issue either.

3. Owners count. I remember a time long ago Honda did solicit feedback from Goldwing owners.

4. I see a motorcycle now manufactured by delegation to many groups.

Why spend money on a 6th gear when Honda will still probably sell every 2015 Goldwing they produce?... In today's economy and uncertain job market, people frankly can't or won't spend $30K+ on a 2 seat motorcycle (plus helmets, clothing, etc.) when you can buy a brand new Civic (or similar) and get even BETTER gas mileage, etc. The Civics have had many more changes/improvements over the years and Honda probably sells more Civics in one year than all of the combined sales of Goldwings since 1974.
I am not sure that your original statements were lost as you think they might have been. A number of people have contributed counterpoints to it... myself included. You did state the truth. Mother Honda has changed their focus on what they want to put development money into and that is plain to see. Put an Accord punch list next to a Goldwing punch list and that is obvious. The counter points though are the entire reason why Honda has done that. There are a lot of people that want a big bike without the extra stuff. Would a 6th gear really make all that much of a difference? Maybe some. Bluetooth? To a few. 0Problem is that you can't compare an Accord cagemobile to a Goldwing. I personally am a dedicated Honda owner. My last two cars were an Accord and a Civic. My last 3 bikes were Hondas. I personally don't desire the extras that the Accord has over the bike because I don't have to spend a metric crap ton to get superior helmet upgrades to connect and utilize the same extras that the Accord has while on my bike. I like the simplicity of my two wheeled ride. I am one example of the reasons why Honda has not jumped through all the hoops to make the Goldwing Accord. And they know that I will still spend the $30k to get another one when this one wears out... 200k miles later than any other brand of bike on the road... regardless of whether the bike has bluetooth... no matter what their cars have in them. I know lots of guys that ride simple bikes without lots of shiny bling and tech. I personally don't see it as a dying era. I see it as a stagnation that happens over time in all things. Maybe someone will come out with a better than Goldwing bike at a lesser price. Maybe then I might think about going to a different companies product. For now, I don't see why they would fix something that isn't broken. Some of us just have an insatiable taste for bigger, better, badder and it's frustrating when that is not met. Nothing wrong with a few upgrades but as with all things tech, no matter what you put on it today, it will still be outdated and replaced by something else "better" tomorrow. Thank heavens the Goldwing is not made by Apple. And that said... if you are on your bike and you are working to focus on all the crap that is stuffed into a cars technology platform, you are not nearly focused enough on the idiot in the car next to you that is going to take you out. No bluetooth or 6th gear is going to save you from him. I don't need any more distractions.(rant) There is way too much crap in most cars already. Nobody needs to chat on the phone, send text messages, look up a pizza restaurant or customize their Pandora stations while behind the wheel. Friggen drive your cage already and stop risking my life. I personally believe that all makes of vehicle should adopt the next best thing in safety though. How about a cage that surrounds me so if I get hit, I don't die? Oh... That is an Accord ;) Well, that aint happening. I like the open air too much.

lihartog
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 A
2002 GL1800

Post by lihartog » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:38 pm

I bought my firat 'Wing in `83, a then new 1100 Interstate. I've been riding 'Wings ever since, and I'm currently on a '02 1800. In my book, the 'Wings are the most reliable, most complete touring package that there is, bar none. Sure, there are all kinds of technological features available on the completion, but many of these could be classified as gimmicks. They don't really contribute to the overall experience.

That said, Honda Motor Company has long ago forsaken the Goldwing faithful, why else must we plod along with what is essentially a design that is heading for its 30th birthday. Remember the design of the 1800 was started shortly after the 1500 was launched back in 1988. There are too many aspects to mention in which the Goldwing has been left standing by it's competition such as the BMW K1600GTL and the new HD Ultra Glides.

Honda is running a real risk of losing the traditional Goldwing customers to the competition, and its time they wake up. Once these customers are gone, it's going to take a long time to get them back.

Honda has in my book, lost the plot, or is it a case of the bean counters having taken over?

Come on Honda, don't insult our intelligence with so-called new bikes for 2015, when all that is new is a 40th anniversary badge, and a new paint job. Underneath it is still a 25year plus old design.

DD1957
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 A, Yamaha Roadliner

Post by DD1957 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Honda motorcycle senior management are die hard riders. I know, cause I worked for Honda manufacturing 27 years.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Has much changed with HD either when it comes to style.
Below are pics of a vintage Hydra-glide and a Road King.
You want to bring a new generation to the Goldwing, think of 6 and 12 volt ride on toys for the little ones; they can drive a Mercedes, Audi or a Kia, a Ford F-150 plus various quads and scooters. I had seen these toys in the Christmas ads and thought why don't they get permission from Honda to make child size Goldwings and F6B ride ons.
In my opinion the Goldwing is the finest bike out there and while it has evolved from a flat 4 to a flat 6 has shown progress. The HD engine is still the same V-twin configuration and hasn't changed at all in 105 years. The first HD V-twin engine was introduced in 1909. Japanese manufacturers have made V-fours, even HD is behind in engine design.
Attachments

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:18 pm

There really are two sides....
- Those that can afford and want to buy the "latest and greatest" .
- Those that can not afford, or can not justify the price tag, so buy the used market.

That being said, I do not fault Honda in not seriously upgrading the 1800. Look at the bike, over all, it performs like no other, it is dependable like no other, and if you look at Honda's reputation on vehicles, it is to make a quality vehicle that lasts a long time. How many other bikes do you see with 150k+ miles for sale out there?

Now, granted, I would like the latest gadgets and all, but I thing there are enough "add ons" and smart people (like us) who know or learn how to customize our rides for what we want. At some point, Honda will change the Wing only when they really get competitive pressure from another manufacturer, and do they have anyone doing what they are doing? Nope.

Granted, I can not afford a new wing this year, but maybe in 15 years, I could buy a 2015, that would be fine. For now, my 26 year old bike will do me just fine (26 years, MY GOD!!! WHAT A WORKHORSE!)

Now, let's talk about that weather, ugh!!!!

Tom Finch
Motorcycle: 2004 GL 1800A
2010 GL 1800A

Post by Tom Finch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:42 pm

I remain in awe of the GL 1800. I have two, a 2010 with 109,000 on it and an 04 with 236,000 on it. I feel that Honda marketing is the primary problem with the Wing. Honda engineers have done a superlative job. To me, it is despicable to not make ABS standard on this machine, but Honda marketing has done the opposite, they have discouraged the use of ABS by their keeping it from the public at the original agreed price of $997. Instead, a rider has to buy $1000 worth of accessories for $3,000 to qualify to buy the ABS that should be standard here in the US like it is everywhere else in the world.

I am fearful that Honda will put electric throttle on the bike. Seems to me that in cruise control mode, the throttle can be anywhere when you punch off where with the round robin cable throttle it is where the engine thinks it is.

The Marketing people already had the secondary headlight reflectors blacked out with the Japanese made Wings and for those of us in the deer country, that loss of bar ditch lighting is perilous.

To me, the 2010 was the best version so far with the exception of some entertainment electronics.

The 2010 is more stable, has better headlights, and better-safer- taillights than the Japanese built machines. The American made Wings are far easier to see from the side at night. There is not doubt that the number of body parts has been reduced and I am sure that is better for the bottom line, but for us that ride, we do not like to loose things once had.

For those that claim the 1800 is devoid of technology, what about the servo operated clutch? Few riders and eve fewer Mechanics are aware that the Wing has a servo operated clutch. And the alternator is almost 100 amps.

And what motorcycle comes close to the Wing for night riding on the highway? The 220 Watts of high beam light is better than most autos and all motorcycles that I know of. It is easy to bump the high beams to 65 watts and get 400 hour bulbs to boot.

I have not had a car since 2002 and have the two Wings. Never ride without a trailer on the back so I never need a car unless there are three or more that need to go. I have racked up 436,000 miles so far on GL 1800s and they are really reliable. I totaled my first one at 90,000 miles because it did not have ABS and had the wheels lock at 75 mph. Had one alternator and one final drive bearing fail, and those failures were due to my deviating from Mobil 1 and trying Amsoil. In addition to the 436,000 on GL 1800s, I have 295,000 on GL 1500s with no failures on the two of them. All Goldwing miles, 731,000, have been pulling a trailer. With the advent of E3 tires I get over 20,000 miles per set using 70 series on both ends.

I have hit 9 deer in my riding career and 4 of those were on the 2004 Wing. Even though the deer do not survive, the bike does pretty well considering 100 pound impacts at 65 mph front on. It is a given that the plastic and forks get damaged with this kind of impact, but I have ridden the bike home from each impact. Not so sure how other bikes can fair from this kind of impact.

For sure the hundreds that I have avoided because of the excellent headlights would be statistics with the mediocre headlight of most bikes.

I have not heard any other bike audio system that sounds as good at high output as the late model Wings.

So, yes I would like to see dual clutch transmission, better fuel control mapping, variable valve timing, and some other niceties but I do not want to give up the great comfort and incomparable reliability of the Wing. Since my 236,000 mile 04 bike runs like new and the 2010 bike runs just as good, I have no reason to want another bike that is likely to be worse. At 78 years old, and riding 30,000 miles a year, It will be hard for me to need another bike while I am here. Now a Wing that would pick itself up when it falls over, that would be neat.

DD1957

Post by DD1957 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Tom Finch is spot on! Goldwing's are the best machines in the world.

huntsman47
Motorcycle: 2000 /1500 25th anniversary gl

Post by huntsman47 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:29 pm

I have just returned to riding and as I am now a single man. Being in my 60's needing a new passion I turned to my bucket list which ended saving the day as I always wanted to get back to riding but family life and job kept me back. I purchased a 2000/1500 SE and have not looked back. I am in love all over again with my new bike. Last year a 3000 KM trip put a smile on my face that could not be wiped off with a 2 by 4. In a way its sad that I needed to wait so long to get back riding but I had also swore that if the bike was not a big one , well I would do without. This bike is total comfort on two wheels. I know what everyone is saying about the new Hondas and would not purchase a new one no matter the cost. They seem to be trying to compete with Harley in looks and trying to be more of a cruiser than a touring bike. Now Harley's are a good bike lord knows there are enough of them on the road but for me they are just to noisy and not all that comfortable on the long haul? I totally agree that Honda is missing the boat on this one and letting down its group of Goldwing riders which loved the bike and wanted a top class reliable touring bike! The price of the new models is over the top for what one gets in the bike and there are a lot of up and coming bikes which will probably contribute to Hondas demise! I hope that someone wakes up at Honda for I think that if they stay the present course the days of Honda are limited! Safe riding all!

TopGunPilot
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Post by TopGunPilot » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Paulcf wrote: I look forward to hearing your feedback.
Hmmm...
First of all, I never buy anything the first year it comes out. Or the second. Or the third.
My Daddy did teach me a lot of things in his 92 years on Earth.
There is ALWAYS something wrong with it (IE: Design flaws, part failures, brake failures).

In a good way, I can buy things for the Goldwing that I cannot buy for a Harley. Got "Peg Savers?"

To hear that 126,000 Gold Wings have been recalled due to possible faulty master cylinders is a STUPID JOKE!
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/news/h ... rake-fault

To hear that 66,241 Harley Davidsons were recalled due to possible brake failures should tell us all something!!!

Just go look at all of the Service Bulletins on the 2002 Goldwing GL1800 (Kill Switch, Frame Welds and so on). Not bashing it but over the years my Daddy taught me a lot including not to buy the new iPhone 6 design for a year or so. Let someone else find out they don't work!

104,000 safe miles on my Goldwing, 43 years of safe miles (over 10 bikes/4 Hondas). Out of every bike I have been on, the Goldwing is the most comfortable for a one hour ride or 15 hour trip around the state of Texas. How many Harleys can say they are good for 300,000 miles?

I've spent $15,000 at the Dealership including $1200 (3 times) for a Powerhouse Advantage plan. At 3,000 miles a month, it easily paid for itself.

Normal wear is acceptable, but replacing the front left fork shock seal every 8,000 to 12,000 miles ($500.00) is ridiculous.
New clutch at 103,000 and needs a new transmission as 5th gear has been out for 6 months.

(Pitiful gear design) causing some to say they will never own another Golding because of that transmission and $3000 to $4000 to fix it. Humbug, I'll buy a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic to play around on before I spend that much to fix the Goldwing.
Honda knows about it but still REFUSES TO FIX IT DUE TO THEIR POOR DESIGN...
Repeat: HONDA KNOWS ABOUT IT BUT REFUSES TO FIX THE TRANSMISSION DUE TO THEIR POOR DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paint is excellent, motor is strong and the best part - compliments everywhere I go on it. Kids love it! Harley owners could care less. #DifferentBreed.

I didn't like the Bagger Honda tries to pretend is a Goldwing. BS.
I don't like the new 2015 model because (as you said) it is missing too many things and will never be worth $30,000.
My LEXUS didn't cost that much.....#GoFigure #noshavetoday

Keep up your training and Have Fun out there!
SAFETY FIRST/ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT WE RIDE!

Motorcycle Related Training:
GWRRA Certified Road Captain, Tail Gunner (over 50,000 miles as), First Responder, Crash Scene Response.,
Just tons of training thanks to GWRRA.
BRC (Basic Rider Course).
ARC (Advanced Rider Course 4 times as Student, hundreds as Observer).
Police (Basic and Advanced) Motorcycle Skills Class.
Weekly PLP (Parking Lot Practice) is a must and can Save your life!

Other training:
STATE: LEO, EMT, FF, Boater's Ed., TPWD Instructor.
Local: CPA, ARC Heartsaver AED, CPR (Adult/Child), Basic Plus (CPR/AED/First Aid)...(too much to list),

Groups: PGR, RoDFW, SGMS, CAPPS.

Pages I manage: Motorcycle Safety by Top Gun (Facebook).
TopGunPilot
Over 150,000 miles/48 years safe riding/over 10 bikes, more than 40 + Motorcycle Training classes.

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I purchased my 2012 GL1800 in 2013, I'm very pleased with the performance of the bike. I bought a new Gold Wing because it is reliable, it's been time tested and I can count on it to take me anywhere at anytime, well, within reason. The last thing I want on my bike is more electronics, the Gold Wing has enough electronics to make it a nightmare trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem. I could care less about an electrical operated windshield or even Bluetooth on my bike, I really don't want to take phone calls while driving down the road and there are enough Bluetooth helmets out there for passenger communications. Do I need 165HP as the BMW offers, I find the 118HP on the Gold Wing suitable for anything, the speed limit here is 65 on the interstate and 55 on secondary roads, so 118HP is more than enough to handle this. One thing I have learned in 35 years as an Electronics Engineer is the more you add the more you invite problems and some of the problems can be very expensive to fix. To each there own, if you want a bike with all the hi-tech equipment, then go out and buy one, there are plenty of them out there.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Lynnmarn
Motorcycle: Motorcycles I have owned
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
08 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Re: 2015 Goldwing (40th Anniversary) Complainers

Post by Lynnmarn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Well I will chime in my two cents. I am 66 and started riding motorcycles 6 years ago. First bike was a used 06 250 Rebel. Quickly upgraded to new 2009 Vulcan 500 then upgraded to a used 2005 Sabre 1100. I kept realizing the deficiencies of each bike as I became more confident and my wife wanted to ride with me. Next bike was a used 2003 Nomad 1300 which we both loved but it broke down once and she wouldn't ride on it to far away from the house. Sold it and bought a used 08 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe V4 and then acquired a 1984 GL1200 a few months later. I loved the Yamaha but my wife liked the 84 GW better. It had large saddle bags but best of all a huge trunk and nice backrest. I would have kept the Yamaha RSTD but I needed a trunk and she wanted a nice back rest, but it was to expensive and hassle to put one on.

I took the wife for a ride on an 06 GL1800. She loved it so much we bought it and sold the Yamaha and the GL1200. Now I have only been riding the GW for 9 months. My wife loves it. I love it. It has all the power and wind protection we desire and need. She loves that back seat and can ride all day in it. I am a (Honda fan. 2014 Lawn mower, 2014 Honda Accord 2006 GL1800). Now you can call me a newbie but who cares about all that fancy stuff. I use Apple iPhone's because they are the easiest and most reliable of all cell phones. I like my motorcycle the same way, reliable, powerful and comfortable. That 6 cylinder engine is awesome.

I agree with some of the other posts that to much stuff is dangerous. The only thing I would change on my Goldwing is Bluetooth connectivity and heel toe shifters with floorboards. I can't afford a new one so in 5 years I will buy me another mint condition used one. People who buy Goldwings (and Harley's) usually take very good care of them. I do miss the rumble of pipes but only when I am not riding them. They get annoying after a few miles so I really appreciate the quiet smooth running Goldwing engine, especially after 3-6 hours in the saddle.

I love my Goldwing and feel it is the best bike made. Not the fanciest anymore but when it comes to power, reliability and comfort I don't believe they can be beat.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Definitely a lively conversation ;) Glad to hear one thing for sure.....for the most part, a strong ride, and everyone here seems to like the Wing, what ever version we have. Yup up!

DD1957

Post by DD1957 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:55 am

I think soon Honda will be doing a FMC (full model change) on the Goldwing. I bet they already have prototypes made. I know how Honda does the development of it's products, cause I worked at Honda manufackturing for almost 27 years as an engineer in the new model department. I expect the new Goldwing to blow the competition out of the water. I think Honda is fully aware of it's competition and what there customers want. You'll see.

How come all Harley riders rev there bikes while they park? Are they checking to be sure it's still running?

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:28 am

I read a while back that Honda started designing the GL1800 back in 1992 and it took them until 2001 to release the model. One thing that Honda does do when designing a new Gold Wing is to take in the history of the bike itself. The Gold Wing has long been the standard that other manufactures compare their bikes to, this is due to the reliability and the longevity of the Gold Wing performance. I do think that a new Gold Wing design is soon to be released maybe in a couple of years and it will most likely blow the competition out of the water and again become the benchmark for touring motorcycles.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 pm

DD1957 wrote:I think soon Honda will be doing a FMC (full model change) on the Goldwing. I bet they already have prototypes made. I know how Honda does the development of it's products, cause I worked at Honda manufackturing for almost 27 years as an engineer in the new model department. I expect the new Goldwing to blow the competition out of the water. I think Honda is fully aware of it's competition and what there customers want. You'll see.

How come all Harley riders rev there bikes while they park? Are they checking to be sure it's still running?
I'm sure you're correct, that a "next generation" Goldwing has been under development for some time. Honda doesn't rush these things out. That said, I don't think we'll be seeing it soon - and my reasoning behind that is the release over the past couple of years of the F6B and Valkyrie derivatives, using the GL1800 powertrain. I don't know that Honda would spend the R&D on two new bikes using a powertrain they were about to abandon. It would make much more fiscal sense to release a new Goldwing, THEN do the R&D to create the derivatives. Unless...the "next gen" Goldwing is years away.

Of course, all they need to do to trump the competition is add more cylinders, like they have done in the past. Something along these lines:

48 cylinders, 4.2 liters:

As for the Harleys revving their engines at a stop...that's to keep them from stalling. :)

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Saw this on YouTube. Maybe the future or maybe not!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:58 pm

I've seen that before. It was a design experiment done by an Italian student back in 2011. Every year it's trotted out as "this is next year's Goldwing!!"

Interestingly enough, it does somewhat resemble the CTX1300.

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I've seen that before. It was a design experiment done by an Italian student back in 2011. Every year it's trotted out as "this is next year's Goldwing!!"

Interestingly enough, it does somewhat resemble the CTX1300.
Thanks for the heads up. It is different and I actually kind of like it!

Lynnmarn
Motorcycle: Motorcycles I have owned
2006 Honda Rebel
09 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
05 Honda Saber 1100
03 Kawasaki Nomad
84 Goldwing Interstate
08 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
Current Bike
06 Goldwing

Post by Lynnmarn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Tom Finch hit the nail on the head. I have read all the posts and his is it. I love my 06 Goldwing. I really appreciate the seeability of the rear lights and the awesome headlight. It is interesting the differences in personal preferrences. I road a 1996 1500 and didn't like it at all. But when the wife and I drove the 06 1800 we new it was the bike for use. Guess that is why they make all kinds of bikes because everyone likes something different. If I had the money I would own multiple bikes just to ride something different every now and then but since my budget only allows one I am gratefull it is a Goldwing. I think the best all around bike made. I ride it long distance and 12 miles to work everyday. Haven't owned a better one yet. I think eveyone should quit complaining and enjoy the best bike in the world.

crowtoe
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 SE

Post by crowtoe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:36 pm

When all my friends jumped on the 1800 bandwagon some years ago I considered doing the same myself. However, what held me back was the fact that the 1800's were behind the H-D's at the time, and unfortunately have continued in that direction. Add to that the prices have increased with very little to show for the added money. If I were to buy a "new" Wing it would be an older (used) 1800 model, but since my '96 GL1500 is still running fine and looking great I'll forgo the expense, and after this many years we are pretty much inseparable anyway...

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_June_?/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles :)
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Post by FM-USA » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:39 am

On the other Wing site, 'Concept guy' seems to have disappeared.
He was sketching up our wants for the next Wing and was looking rather good.
I wonder if Honda abducted him for designing the next Wing? :o

Anyways, for me I hope they go back to a steel frame. I'm not a fan of frames breaking under there own weight. YA-ya they were fixed but I can't feel safe enough knowing the possibility "IF" it will break when I'm hauling my 100's of pounds to 3/4 ton trailer at speed.

One sure thing, we will see a vast improvement in aerodynamics in front, rear and sides.
Engine rumblings.
** Some want larger CC's for torque & speed, others less for fuel mileage and mechanical simplicity. We might get both.

General mechanics.
** I'm 75% sure Honda will make the overall wrenching a lot easier and simpler. As a LOT of grumpy folks said.

Considering all the Gadgets the 1800 has now, I don't see anything absolutely new popping up, upgraded this/that sure.
The Darkside. I wouldn't put it past Honda to make the rims an odd size, something like 16.5 or 17.75 etc..
** IF that were to happen, Honda could loose a fair % of new buyers. Darksiding has become that popular. (see next)
Longer lasting tires, Please yes.
Run-Flat tires. Purdy please YES!

Higher output Alternator, probably yes.
Lighter bike? Probably not unless there's fewer CC's and/or cylinders. 4 cyl. 2,200-2400 cc's??? (think Rocket III)
Lower seat, more than likely but that will automatically happen when the overall wind profile is lower.
An OEM trike? I have a hunch, yes. Which? Normal or reverse configuration?
** If I were to guess, normal 25% and reverse 75%. Reverse is overall more stable and safer (and the current trend).

One thing I would love to see, dual batteries. JUST IN CASE one dies we can still get to our destination.

Just a few of my many thoughts.
8-)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as those miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by tandem54 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:12 am

Design changes aside, I wish they would offer more options installed at/by the dealer:
Towing package: hitch, wiring, maybe a bigger rear tire?
Lights package: light modulators, front and rear, LED bulbs, blinking brake lights.
MP3 players, Bluetooth, wireless helmet communications.
Cup holders, mounts for cameras, phones etc.
There are a lot of things they could add if the buyer wanted them when ordering.
Maybe have the dealers offer them instead of the factory?
For that amount of money you should be able to get a few "Add on's" if you want them!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

dmarble
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1982 CBX
1975 CB360T

Post by dmarble » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Back in 1975 when I was 20 years old I was lucky enough to know someone at a Honda dealer who let me ride a new GL1000. It was turquoise. I fell in love with Gold Wings then and have wanted a brand new one ever since. I've had used ones; an '84 1200A I rode for 16 years and my current '96 1500SE and have loved them both, but still want a new one. Well, 2015 is the year I can finally manage it; they've ALWAYS been expensive relative to the times. It's presently on order and I can hardly wait. The Wing is what it is as one poster said. It isn't all things to all people. I did look at the BMW 1600, but it leaves me cold. Don't get me wrong, I love technology as much as the next guy. But technology just for the sake of it doesn't make much sense, and it just adds cost and complexity. I've ridden Ultra Harleys too, and they just aren't my style. I'm a Honda guy, plain and simple. I think the new Wing is going to be great; for me. I admit I'm surprised Honda hasn't done more to counter the BMW, but I don't care either. I haven't missed an electically adjustable windshield, adaptive headlight and traction control. I don't ride that way. I will enjoy a heated seat, GPS navigation and ABS. That's why there's other choises and if the Wing doesn't suit you, I'm glad there's something else for you to buy, because it's about the ride. Enjoy the ride no matter what you're on.