Wet weather riding gear

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Wet weather riding gear

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Up until recently I was having one heck of a time with my riding gear and water. I have a set of First Gear D3 pants and jacket... Kilamanjaro I believe. I got out in a gutter buster the other day and 'bout drowned inside my gear. My crotch was the first to feel the cold chill of moisture. I like my gear A LOT but just recently it stopped keeping the water out. I took care of it as the manufacturer suggested and still had this issue after a year and a half. My resolution was to go to Freddies and grab a can of Kiwi Camp Dry. It was an extreme measure since this is heavy duty waterproofing but it is silicone based and is supposed to be good for breathable fabrics. I applied two coats of it and let it cure for a couple days while I dried out and drove my truck to work. I used the gear last week and rode through more than a few downpours at 60mph and I was dry as could be. The water wicked off in droplets and never did soak in to the outer layer like before. My hopes were salvaged and my gear is comfy again. Yeaaahhhh!!! :!:

Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Wet weather riding gear

Postby Mag » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:08 am

Yes, the rains have hit sort of heavy already in WA State, hasn't it? Unfortunately down here, we have the slow and middle I-5 lanes hold water and hydroplaning is a bad thing, even in my car. Right now, though I want to ride, all I can say is "ugh", starting to be cage weather.

Good job on the winterproofing of your outfit, if it works, good to go for another season!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wet weather riding gear

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

The Olympia Horizon Rain Gear I have is absolutely water tight, but I'm sure if it ever does lose its waterproofness, this would fix it as well.

The half-cover I carry with me on my bike is made of a tent-like material, and it became non-waterproof a while back. I bought the same thing, hung up the cover from the ceiling in my garage, and hosed it down with the waterproofing spray. I let it dry, then did it again, two more times. The cover is now 100% waterproof - I can leave my bike out in the rain overnight, in the morning there will be pools of water in the cover, but the bike underneath is completely dry.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”