What measures do you take to keep safe?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

What measures do you take to keep safe?

Postby CWJ73 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Reading this thread http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24609 (People are so "Toxic"!!!!!!!) and a couple other similar themed threads recently, got me thinking; What do you do to keep yourself safe from other drivers on the road? You could even go so far as to say what do you do to keep yourself safe from wildlife, poor road conditions, etc...

Being a fairly new and inexperienced rider (8 years under my belt) I am still learning the 'craft'. I like to think I am very aware of my surrounds, checking mirrors and looking around repeatedly, but I occasionally get caught by a vehicle I did not see. I like to keep an 'out' in mind if things go bad and I need to move to a safe place. If close to other vehicles I make sure I can see the driver in their side mirrors. I like to keep a strong 'presence' in my lane to ensure I control it. I never ride beside large trucks and semis and only move beside them if I intend to pass and I do so swiftly. I am more than likely going to stop wearing my 3/4 helmet and stick to my full face helmet. I had never really considered getting bugs or rocks in the face and the potential distraction that could cause or the damage from sliding face first down a road if (when???) a collision[*] occurs.

On my bike I like to have lots of bright lights. The more, the brighter, the better. I have a new bike so I am working on updating this. I am lucky in that it came with a break light modulator for the trunk break lights. I am going to look into a modulator for the trunk spoiler and the saddlebag break lights. I am thinking about the headlight modulator everyone raves about as well as some extra driving light for night time. I am going to be updating my cornering lights to run a driving lights as well. You can never have too much light in front of you.

I recently read in one post that others on here never drive in a middle lane of a 3 lane roadway due to possibly being boxed in on all sides. I really liked this idea and never thought about it before.

What other things do you do?

Craig

[*] I won't ever say accident. By definition accidents are not preventable, collisions are

Craig

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: What measures do you take to keep safe?

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:50 pm

I feel like a tape loop... I ride as if everyone else on the road is actively trying to kill me. So far, it has worked.

I have no solution to the problem of wildlife other than to be as alert and as observant as it is possible. The area where I live and ride most of the time has a great deal of forest that runs right up to the ditch with maybe 15-20 feet of open ground between the trees and the road surface. If a deer runs out into the road from heavy cover, there's virtually nothing you can do about it. Hunting season begins in a few days (gun season... archery has been ongoing) and once the deer get startled or shot at, they run with reckless abandon... into tractor trailers, into cars and trucks... or motorcycles, should one be in their path... they don't look before running into the road and they don't act in any predictable way, other than they're completely unpredictable.

I thought about running straight pipes, but last year a co-worker hit a deer head on while riding his Harley which has drag pipes on it. He nearly cut the deer in two pieces, and he ended up with a ruptured spleen, many broken ribs, a punctured lung and was hospitalized for weeks... so I don't know that loud pipes make any difference when a deer is in full blown panic mode.

I read as much as I can find about those Deer Whistles, and they appear to be as effective as not having them LOL.. lights do allow us to see better, and MAY stop a deer from running out in front of us or into us, but they don't seem to have made any difference in the many instances where I've hit deer with a car or a pickup... so, I'm pretty much at a loss for any suggestions other than what I've already written about being vigilant as it is possible to be.. and maybe S L O W I N G down at dusk and dawn... other than maybe praying a lot.

I am open to any suggestion that anyone has to offer to avoid hitting wildlife, as long as it doesn't include parking the motorcycle and driving the car...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:44 pm

I agree 100% with the slowing down at night. Everything I have ever read and any driver training I have ever taken says that at approx 110-120km (probably about 70-75mph) you are out driving your headlights. Meaning that when a stimulus appears in your headlights in front of you, the time it takes for your brain to register the new stimulus, create a plan to deal with the stimulus and then make your body carry out the plan, you will have already traveled the distance to the cause of the stimulus and collided with it...

Now add in a old(er) bike with an old(er) headlamp or lighting system, all of which may not necessarily be up to par anymore, older or worn brakes, etc (if not kept maintained and up to date) and you have even further problems.

Very good call on this one.

Craig
Craig

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:04 pm

My suggestion at this point would be to dream about riding your motorcycle on a heavenly type planet, with zero possibility of getting tailed by numbnutted people or hitting any form of wildlife, even if it is a frog. You swerve to miss the frog and end up in a tree hanging from your butt cheeks and shouting, "I want my mommy!"
Just dream and then in real life, work on your bike, don't ride. Statistically, all odds are not in our favour.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”