Old Man Winter

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Old Man Winter

Postby CWJ73 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:08 am

Well Old Man Winter has finally shown up...
View out side first thing this morning
View out side first thing this morning

I am SOOOOOO glad that I was able to get the oil changed in my 1500 yesterday afternoon and the winter tires put on all our vehicles.
I support I can be thankful that it was not the 10-15cm they were calling for.

Craig

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Old Man Winter

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:38 pm

There was snowfall in South Carolina last weekend. The jet stream is wandering all over the North American continent and over the next few days, we're supposed to see lower than normal temperatures in most of the US.

A few years ago, I recall a fairly unusual snow event on November 11th here in the East-central part of Virginia. I only remember it because it fell on Veteran's Day and I had the day off... and went deer hunting.. and it snowed large, wet, flakes and accumulated about 6" in a few hours. The snow lasted a short period of time, but it was memorable because of how early in the fall we had that much snow.

As a kid, I remember snow on Halloween more often than not. Of course that was North of the Mason-Dixon line and a pretty long time ago.

By the way... I want to thank all Veterans where ever you are.. as Tuesday is the day we (in the US) set aside to remember all those who serve and who have served... thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:49 pm

We are in the same boat here. All hope of riding any more this season ended last night, continued to end today and has no chance of not ending till next riding season. We are forecasted to get the white stuff for at least a week to ten days continuously, with lots of temps in the 10 to 20 F degree range (-7 to -12 C). It was a good riding season, albeit a tad wet, and a tad short. We got a good four months this year. I trimmed quite a few places to visit by motorcycle off my bucket list, but I am looking for next year to be like 2011 when we got eight months, and then really no winter to speak of.

We also remember on Nov 11 in Canada. We call it Remembrance day, and as a vet, I am reminded to remember even more than I do normally, 365 days a year. I thank all my brothers in arms, past, present and ongoing, for your sacrifice in the preservation of what freedoms we still have.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:17 pm

It has not stopped snowing all day. The Jet Stream shot like an arrow to the north and has now stalled. It is bringing a huge Arctic front down on those of us caught on the wrong side of the mountains. The other side is nice a warm right now.

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:By the way... I want to thank all Veterans where ever you are.. as Tuesday is the day we (in the US) set aside to remember all those who serve and who have served... thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

We celebrate the same holiday, only we call it "Remembrance Day" in Canada. All schools, ceremonies and even places of work will call for a minute of silence at 1100hrs in remembrance of all who fought and all who died in all previous war to preserve peace and our way of life.

This year the agency I work for, Calgary Police Service, is introducing a special Hat Badge to be worn on all uniform member Forage Caps and Cowboys Hats in remembrance of WWI and the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The badge will be worn starting Nov 11 and will continue till Nov 11, 2018, the 100 anniversary of the end of WWI. Although I have never served in the military, I can not even begin to express the honour I feel to wear this badge and be able to show my thanks for those who fought and those who died. Vim Ridge is a huge part of Canadian history and one of the few things from High School history class I have never forgotten.

Here is a Youtube video announcing the the new badge.

Craig

Return to “Goldwing Chat”