I might have waited just a slight bit too late...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

I might have waited just a slight bit too late...

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:40 pm

I almost went out for a ride this afternoon. "A slight chance of flurries," they said. Bah, they've said that all week, and nothing happened.

Hm. About that plan to winterize my bike this weekend...

Slight chance of flurries
Slight chance of flurries

At least I know my show shovel still works.

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Re: I might have waited just a slight bit too late...

Postby waituntilthebeep » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:48 pm

WingAdmin wrote: About that plan to winterize my bike this weekend...

Isn't that just adding studs?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 am

Its usually heavy rain this time of year in Vancouver... but the edge of the polar vortex has almost reached the coast.. and its a clear crisp cold-for-Vancouver night ( minus 3° C ) and my insurance expires at midnight tonight.
So I donned all-the-gear-all-the-time, and with a thick down vest under my "Joe Rocket " , I went for an evening ride ..

It was no worse than skiing at night, with lots of stars out and a cool breeze just inches above my head . As I went farther up the Fraser Valley, it dropped to -5, so after a lovely hour , I turned back, and ended the last ride of the season .

( I suppose I should go out to the garage and change the oil, while its still warm, and put it away for the winter, with gas preservative and all... but its a little too cold to be handling metal wrenches )

SilverDave

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:41 am

its seeing photos like yours that makes me grateful i live in southern uk and can ride most of the year as we only get snow for a few days.we do get a lot of rain though so its not all sunshine and rainbows :-)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:52 am

37 F this morning on the ride in to work... 42 miles or so of clean, crisp, fall air. Everyone looking at me like I've lost my mind.. 47 degrees outside right now, and the mercury is headed to freezing tonight... but with zero snow in our forecast.

I can't put mine up. I can't not ride it/them... I'm addicted to the ride.

If it does snow, and I'm sure it will... I'll drive the car until the roads are clear and then it's back to two wheels.. I won't ride if there's snow or ice, but that's the only limiting factor I put on my riding so far. Warm clothes allow me to keep riding all year. I feel badly for those who have poor road conditions that keep you from riding.. and of course brutally cold temps.

I'll try to think of you all during my daily ride and send riding thoughts your way... until spring comes again, and you can get back out there on your own.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Right there with you! I am a dedicated year round rider. It is a depressing day when I have to climb into my cage. I am just at home on two wheels.

medicineman
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Postby medicineman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:09 pm

I broke in my new Bridgestones the other day; should be able to ride again by Tuesday depending on how bad this next storm will be.
Attachments
SnowWing
SnowWing

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 pm

I figured you could probably get studded snow tires for a motorcycle in Alberta :-)
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Postby CWJ73 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:55 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I figured you could probably get studded snow tires for a motorcycle in Alberta :-)

Na, we just hook a sled dog team up to the front forks and yell "MUSH"!!! :D
Craig

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:11 pm

I spent 20 years in the snow belt in New York State, and 5 more in the greater Chicago area... so I am familiar with the joys of winter. I actually LIKE snow. I do not care much for temps below 0 degrees.. and have spent most of my adult life working in the weather. There was a couple of year stretch spent working in railroad yards in and around Chicago, on call to make repairs on machinery used to load "piggybacks" on rail cars. It seemed that the worse the weather, the more likely my co-worker's pagers wouldn't work... and I'd always be dumb enough to call in when paged, even if it wasn't my turn in the proverbial barrel... I recall changing a water pump on a Cummins engine at about 5 degrees, with the wind blowing at what felt like a steady 25 knots close to the Indiana / Illinois border about 2 miles off Lake Michigan with not so much as a tree between me and the lake... and nowhere to get out of the weather until the job was done... and another period of time when the temperature was 28 below zero with a wind chill of -82 degrees F, when I thought I'd freeze to death before getting back inside...

So, I only feel a little guilty being able to ride 11 1/2 months out of the year when my Northern Goldwing friends aren't as fortunate, due to the weather. I have seen some creative adaptations (like skis attached to front forks and knobby tires mounted on the rear to drive) to motorcycles from the Great White Way... and always have been impressed by the innovation nature of my fellow man for having seen the photos of these creations. I park mine when there's snow or ice.. generally for a day or two at a time... maybe a week, and then I'm back to riding again for as long as the weather allows.

I get asked a lot of questions about why I ride and if I mind the cold. Well, of course I mind the cold... but not so much that I let it ruin an otherwise perfectly good opportunity to ride.

CWJ73 wrote:
HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I figured you could probably get studded snow tires for a motorcycle in Alberta :-)

Na, we just hook a sled dog team up to the front forks and yell "MUSH"!!! :D

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:13 am

19 degrees yesterday....and I am in SW Washington State area....it is never this cold this time of year. I love to ride, but this is just not fun, and I do not have all the "pluggy-ins" that others have, but boy this gets me to thinking about it. I am really loving my seat heaters in the car this time of year.

Like Admin, I think my riding season is done. Time to add the Seafoam, ride for 20 mins (gonna be DAMN COLD) and then park her until I see Admin's winterizing instructions (IT IS ALL UP TO YOU NOW, SIR!!!)

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I rode to work on Wednesday with the temps in the 30s. On Thursday it started snowing (S.E. Idaho), so I got in the cage for the 6 mile trip. It was still snowing when I headed home, and more was predicted on Friday so I just stayed home and avoided the mess completely. Today it's nice and sunny out, but the roads are now covered with packed down snow (in other words, ice and ruts that would not be good for two wheels). Looks like the bike will be sitting in the garage for a while.

But once the roads do clear up, I'll be back out on the bike. My trip to work is short enough that I can put up with a little discomfort, but with the right gear there really isn't that much to put up with. In general I'll ride year round if the roads are clear. Gotta say though that the heated seat/grips make it a little nicer.

A question though - I've heard that there is a way to get more heat on the seats and grips by replacing a resister somewhere. Anybody know anything about that? This is my first year with heat on a bike, and while it's OK I'm a bit underwhelmed with it. I've got heated seats in my car and that gets much warmer. It would be nice to be able to get some more heat out of the bike as well.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm in Cleveland as well - only and Eastsider, near the lake so I get double the snow of Strongsville much of the time. Thought I'd get a couple more rides in and didn't drop it off at storage yet. Hope they're right and it warms up next Monday & Tues or the Mrs. will be quite unhappy about not having her storage space in the garage. We'll see what happens. don't wanna drop the new bike in snow. Hoping for some 40s.

PurpleGL1200
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 GL1100A
1984 GL1200I
1985 GL1200I

Postby PurpleGL1200 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:05 am

Wonder how many people are riding cycles today in Buffalo NY? Absolutely none!! 6 ft of snow over the weekend, so you won't be able to even find your bike if it is parked outside.

Illinois isn't too bad; roads are clear, but 25 degrees and 20mph winds aren't fun to ride in. However, the golf course is fairly clear and the ball will bounce right out of the water hazards.

It must be time to turn up the heat in the garage and piddle with the bikes - change oil & filters, polish some chrome, lubricate rear ends & cables, pet the cat, etc. (The cat made me put the last part in).

Yes, life is good!!

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:39 am

It is suppose to be in the mid 50's for you guys in the mid-west and north-east by the weekend.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:11 pm

I rode Wednesday (20 degrees F when I left for work) and this morning (closer to 30 degrees F when I left for work) and it wasn't too bad... I did see one ice patch where standing water from the weekend's rain got splashed onto the road surface... which I steered well clear of.. but other than that, and a few 4-wheeled dopes, it was a nice ride... still haven't sussed out the right pair of riding gloves... I do not want heated gloves nor grips... just good warm gloves for riding. One day, I'll figure it out.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Riding Gloves - I found these this year, kept me very warm on and off the bike. I felt they were well worth the price and very warm. Here is the link.
https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=117564

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Thank you kindly, for the referral. I'll check them out.

Harp wrote:Riding Gloves - I found these this year, kept me very warm on and off the bike. I felt they were well worth the price and very warm. Here is the link.
https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=117564

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:04 am

On Saturday I was chipping and shoveling ice and snow off the driveway, Saturday night and Sunday morning it rained and washed all the salt off the roads, and the clouds cleared and dried the roads for about 5 hours, with 55-degree temperatures on Sunday afternoon. With more snow in the forecast, I took advantage of the opportunity and took my bike out for a good, hard hour-long run. I got it home, changed the oil and filled/treated the gas. So I'm good now for the winter, I'll finish the actual winterization later this week, but for now I've at least got the oil done.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:37 am

It was below freezing here yesterday morning. It is 80 degrees (or will be, they tell me) by mid-afternoon here.

As I watched the news this morning, I have to admit to more than a little concern for folks in New York State where so much snow will be melting today... even if major flooding doesn't occur, the mess created by all that melting snow will be difficult to deal with at best.

I rode a little today. We're forecast for more cold starting again tomorrow... with rain and (possibly) flurries, depending on where the weather decides it will go. These whacky weather swings aren't normal for here... and I hope the jet stream will get back to normal, what ever that is, soon.

cfennell1832
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing 2007 1800GL

Postby cfennell1832 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:00 pm

I live by San Francisco Ca. winterizing means check the oil and tire pressure again. Don't see much snow around here.

qbmowman45
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Goldwing
2002 Shadow 750

Postby qbmowman45 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Rode Saturday in 60s and had a wonderful ride here in Kansas. Our winters are so sporadic it's hard to winterized for good so I keep Tender hooked up and full petro so I'm ready for 60+ to get out always watch for sand on roads it's dumped to handle 1 inch plus here. Heated grips are a life saver with mittens over wool liners. Thanks Admin for winterized list.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”