Input on heated gear...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Input on heated gear...

Postby waituntilthebeep » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 am

I currently have First Gear heated gloves and love them. I am thinking about adding a liner to the mix. I have been riding with a sweatshirt under my Kilamanjaro jacket and that is just too danged bulky. The question I am posing is this: can you get away with plugging in the liner and the gloves on the same controller and not COOK when you are trying to keep your fingers warm? I have relatively crappy circulation in my hands and I crank up the temps, lots of times to max. I was looking at the 65 watt jacket to keep the temps down there but am worried that I will be able to poach eggs inside my jacket and my fingers will still get cold because I have to limit the temp to the liner... and the gloves plug in to the liner at the sleeve ends. I managed to install the temp controller on the handlebars with a couple nice black zipties and fished the wires back under the seat for connections. I had a heck of a time doing so and I am resistant to buying a dual controller and having to redo that whole fishing experience. However, if running a dual controller is the best way to go, I will do so. Your thoughts?

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Input on heated gear...

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:15 am

There should be no need for fishing now you already have a full length wire there to use as a fish, just disconnect the control wire from the controller, attach two wires to it, and pull them through using the single wire. If you fished the first wire this should be easy.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:36 am

Youll probably have to go to a dual controller. From what i was told the jacket and gloves wont interface with a single controller together.What I would do if I were you is go to a wireless controller. Youll have the one power wire for the gear but then you can put the controller anywhere you want. I ran my power wire so it comes up between the seat and false tank and then I mounted my controller on top of the CB controls.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:37 am

It also depends on the capacity of the controller - does it have the ability to handle both the liner and the gloves at the same time?

In any case, I have a jacket liner, gloves and insoles, and I have the gloves and insoles on the same circuit - which doesn't work. The insoles cook my feet, while the gloves are too cold. This winter I'm going to add another circuit so everything will be separate. I strongly expect (and suggest) you'll have to do the same.

Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing

Postby marvincshepard » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:00 am

I purchased some Tour master gloves and jacket liner. They come with duel controller and wires. Everything that is needed comes with. I have used them the controller is easy to use with the gloves on.
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby rachester67 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:08 pm

My Gerbing rig uses a single wire to a dual temp controller that way you set the proper level for each item individually. My expeience would tell me that you would be sweating your butt off and your hands would be cold. When its cold my jacket liner is on the lowest setting and my hands are near the top setting.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”