1981 GW why dual brakes on front wheel

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

1981 GW why dual brakes on front wheel

Postby auctioneeral » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Just got bike and I why wondering why dual brakes on front wheel and not rear. Could you tell me why and reason behide it. We been talking about it at work.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: 1981 GW why dual brakes on front wheel

Postby detdrbuzzard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:59 pm

the weight of a bike transfers to the front during braking
less brake fade if any at all
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1981 GW why dual brakes on front wheel

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Most vehicles are set up to do about 75% of the braking on the front. With motorcycles, we (generally) get to pick where we want most braking to occur. During hard braking, if you put too much effort into the rear brake, the wheel tends to lock up (momentum being what it is, the back of the bike has a tendency to "lift" during hard braking... making it "light") and once the wheel begins to slide instead or gripping pavement, braking is far less efficient.

Of course, we have to be careful in how we apply the front as well. Too much front braking, and the front will dive, making the rear unable to brake as effectively as it is possible for it to do as well. Newer versions of the Goldwing, beginning in either the last year of the GL1100 or the first year of the GL1200 (can't remember at the moment) Honda incorporated "linked" braking, where one caliper on the front wheel is tied into the the braking system for the rear, so when we apply the rear brake, one of the front(s) is involved in the braking as well. It is quite good, in my opinion, and I'm sure other bikes have a similar system... particularly heavy ones... as I can't believe Honda is alone in understanding how important applying both brakes (at the same time) can be.

In almost every case, I am certain I used too much front brake, until I bought my first Goldwing... and was more or less forced into learning how to ride a heavy motorcycle properly... back braking at slow speeds is very important for controlling the bike. Looking back on it, I wish I had been forced to learn on a 800 pound motorcycle, as the techniques necessary to control a heavier bike probably would have made me a more competent rider all along. It took me almost 30 years of riding to learn how to ride correctly, as I was self-taught and never had to learn how to control a heavy bike at slow speed... you can't muscle a heavy bike like you can a lighter one... and as a result, I rode my Goldwing poorly at first, until I understood the balance between REAR brake, clutch and throttle...

Probably more than you wanted to see based on the question you asked... but weight is the biggest consideration, I suppose.. some sport bikes also have two fronts, for high speed braking without excessive wear of the front pads and rotors..
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”