introducing myself as Yar also requesting help with audio

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
YAR
Motorcycle: 2002 Wing GL1800 A

introducing myself as Yar also requesting help with audio

Postby YAR » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:10 pm

HI all
I have just purchased a 2002 1800 Wing, Decided to go and pick it up from NSW here in Aussie from my home in South Australia, so flew up with my wife and rode it back some 2500klms, wow what an awesome machine!!! have ridden mostly older Pommy bikes (uk machines ) of which I have 4 at the moment youngest being a 2003 Bonniville, but was most impressed with the wing certainly for highway burning, Only problem with the bike which had only done 14800 klms was the sticky buttons I:E have got the reverse to now stay in(it get popping out )and the Mute button was stuck in, have done the usual, that have picked up off of this excellent forum, with the contact cleaner and wd sprays I:e taken switches of and shot liberal amounts of cleaner through straws etc and have got the mute also to activate ok ,at least the screen says so off/on, can also see a disc spinning on the cd player and can tune in to known radio stations, have also downloaded the owners manual for audio instructions, but for the life of me cannot get any sound from the speakers not even a crackle, except if I select CB radio I get sound from somewhere!! I assume from the speakers. No voices so assume am not on a channel anybody is using. Have checked the fuse , all good. Fm radio is saying stereo under the channel number so assume is receiving ok. previous owner had changed the battery for a new one before selling, and had advised that the mute button was stuck in. So can anybody advise where to next look or advise on a sequence of setting up, Oh I did get some sound from an unknown station once on the way home briefly I beleive it was on an AM station ,it was still stuck on mute then so speakers must be connected Thanks Ray

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: introducing myself as Yar also requesting help with audi

Postby redial » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 am

Hello Yar, and welcome from another Croweater.

If you are cleaning your switches, dont use WD or similar, as it will pick up more grit. You need to go to Jaycar and get some contact cleaner for electronics. You might also consider investing in a reasonable multimeter, as it will help in tracking down some of those annoying problems. There are some good "How Tos" on this site, and you could go through those. By the way, have you changed your belts yet? Also, the fluids, and made sure the final drive is correctly lubricated? You should record the maintenance items that you have carried out, both time and mileage, so that you will remember to change the brake fluid in a couple of years, etc.

Some things to do before you ride much further.

It should be a blast though. (Oh, did I mention, photos are just about mandatory, so get a digital camera out and snapping.)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:59 am

Hello Yar. Don't worry about changing the belts, as your bike has cam 'chains'. With only about 17,000 Km on the bike, you do not even require a valve adjustment for a long long time yet. Now to the audio. If your CB is breaking squelch (making hissing noises) then you will not hear your stereo. You need to turn off your CB to test the rest of the system, or at least that is the easiest way. Press the CB button and hold it till you hear a beep. (hopefully your beep is turned on). Now cycle through the audio button. Long press will turn it off, short press will turn it on, and will display either a speaker or a headphone on your LCD display. If it is a headphone, a second press should turn it to speaker. Then you can work with attempting to hear your other audio stuff from the speakers. Let us know how this works.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:31 am

Hello Yar and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. I hope Vikings instructions helped you out, if not stop by again and give another member a chance. Ride safe, and enjoy that new to you ride.
Proud member Patriot Guard

YAR

Postby YAR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:47 pm

themainviking wrote:Hello Yar. Don't worry about changing the belts, as your bike has cam 'chains'. With only about 17,000 Km on the bike, you do not even require a valve adjustment for a long long time yet. Now to the audio. If your CB is breaking squelch (making hissing noises) then you will not hear your stereo. You need to turn off your CB to test the rest of the system, or at least that is the easiest way. Press the CB button and hold it till you hear a beep. (hopefully your beep is turned on). Now cycle through the audio button. Long press will turn it off, short press will turn it on, and will display either a speaker or a headphone on your LCD display. If it is a headphone, a second press should turn it to speaker. Then you can work with attempting to hear your other audio stuff from the speakers. Let us know how this works.

Your the man !!!!
Thanks for your advise, I had read somewhere that this machine had cam chains so thanks for confirming that. and have done as you suggested and, low and behold I have " the music in me!!! " many thanks again for your input
Have a great day thanks heaps Ray

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 pm

Something I will have to get when I upgrade ....... a damn good instruction booklet "how to".

And Yar, welcome in, bud, glad to see you join in and hope you spend some time.

redial

Postby redial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 am

Sorry for the bum steer on the timing belts :oops: . However, the fluids items are still accurate.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:40 am

About the best way I have dealt with a dirty switch on my bikes was to loosen it off the bars and dunk it in my ultrasonic cleaner with a hot degreaser solution, and then use compressed air to blow out the crud, dry film lubricants would be better for your climate mate, you put grease or oil in those switches and it's a dust magnet, your mute switch may be stuck I guess. I know the gl1500 better than most bikes but have not worked on the GL1800 yet.
I have plans on relocating to Oz myself in the near future and more than likely will attempt to start a Goldwing shop, probably in Melbourne I figure.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:50 pm

That's a long shot, from Wasilla to Oz. But by the looks of your pics you should get great milage on tires, since you don't have any! But do you have to tie up your bike when you get off so it doesn't float away? I bet it rides even smoother than the rest! But you still need to ride safe.

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:09 am

My image there keeps me out of any tire threads! Notice which side of the highway Its on? I'm going to Australia someday, may not come back to Alaska. Getting really tired of only a couple of months riding season. Literally it's like from mid may to September if I'm lucky.
No way in the winter, ice is on the roads for 6 months. I can learn to live with living in Oz, been researching It for many years now, maybe, just maybe I can bring one I f my gl1500 bikes without too much hassle, customs wants all sorts of payouts to do it, plus is the cost I f getting it there, newer Goldwings are EXPENSIVE in Australia!

I think the bloke who started the thread would be willing to chime in on just what kind of bikes everyone rides down there, including the Grey Nomads.

YAR

Postby YAR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:23 pm

silverado6x6 wrote:My image there keeps me out of any tire threads! Notice which side of the highway Its on? I'm going to Australia someday, may not come back to Alaska. Getting really tired of only a couple of months riding season. Literally it's like from mid may to September if I'm lucky.
No way in the winter, ice is on the roads for 6 months. I can learn to live with living in Oz, been researching It for many years now, maybe, just maybe I can bring one I f my gl1500 bikes without too much hassle, customs wants all sorts of payouts to do it, plus is the cost I f getting it there, newer Goldwings are EXPENSIVE in Australia!

I think the bloke who started the thread would be willing to chime in on just what kind of bikes everyone rides down there, including the Grey Nomads.

Hi Silverado
thanks for your input to my request, I have now sorted the sticky switches etc. seems to be a common thing with Wings.
With regard to bikes ridden in OZ a fair amount of Harley Bikes and of course other brand V twins are in the cruiser fashion also a lot of sports bikes.I belong to the Uleysses club for the over 40 s a bike social club, so all sorts are ridden. We have some great riding around Adelaide especially in the surrounding hills in south Australia, ,we don't have snow or ice in South Australia so can of course ride virtually all year around , The eastern states of course have mountain areas where heavy snow and a more severe winter will curtail there riding somewhat
I myself have other bikes .After a lasp of "getting my leg over " so to speak Ha" ha" of 40 years I got back to riding with a 2003 triumph Bonneville T 100 a year before my retirement, I still have the bike, I also shipped over a 1957 BSA DB32 Goldstar in Clubman trim, Sadly now sold "Sob Sob !!!"which was no great drama to ship out from the UK, so if you do intend to come to OZ I suggest if you have a good bike its worth bringing especially if the exchange rate is good, as you wont have to pay stamp duty on it this side,like I have had to do.
At the moment I have other bikes a 1957 BSA Rocket A10 in Goldstar spec's wth high compression which I also shipped out from the UK a couple of years back, also once again no great drama,all done through a shipping agent etc. Other bikes I have are A 1959 Velocette Venom this is in Clubman, trim also with clip ons and rear-sets Thruxton tank etc and tuned to near Thruxton standards.
I am also at present restoring a 1951 Sunbeam S8 these are an inline 500cc twin with rubber mounted engine and shaft drive , this as a project to keep me amused you, will have noticed all Pommy bikes as i was born in the Uk. Oh I did have a 1946 M21 with a Dusting sidecar which have also parted " with cant afford to keep them all". My wife was not keen to ride in the sidecar and whilst the outfit looked great when I had finished it, (had girder forks etc ) I found the side valve engine to much of a plodder, After that I bought and restored a 1986 1200 Goldwing with a DJP sidecar that also was a great looker and the outfit was actually as wide as my Magner car!! (I think you can only have up too 1.8M outfit after !988 now in Australia,) that's also gone as, once again My wife will ride Bikes solo but not in a chair and doesn't like the sensation on the back of a bike with a sidecar attached. So hence the new purchase of the Wing with the Sofa chair for pillion as an attraction
so if you come to OZ bring your toys with you as you can do a lot of riding here just about all year even if it gets a little hot at times.
Have a Good Day Ray

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 am

Ray I have 18 bikes, I'm not a regular poster here, usually I'm over at Goldwingfacts where I post all the time, I believe I heard they relaxed some of the importing conditions but you still have to adhere to the particular requirements of stock lights, it has to be steamed cleaned, and you have to have owned it fir two year, if it's over 30 years old it's easier. I have a 1980 CX500D and an 83 CX650C bike, they would be very popular in Oz, but if it's any bike it must be my 85 Yamaha vmax. Lousy gas mileage but It's a lot of fun! In order I think it would be three bikes, the 85 vmax, the 89 Yamaha Venture Royale and the 93 Goldwing I am building right now a tribute bike to my departed significant other.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:42 am

silverado6x6 wrote:Ray I have 18 bikes, I'm not a regular poster here, usually I'm over at Goldwingfacts where I post all the time, I believe I heard they relaxed some of the importing conditions but you still have to adhere to the particular requirements of stock lights, it has to be steamed cleaned, and you have to have owned it fir two year, if it's over 30 years old it's easier. I have a 1980 CX500D and an 83 CX650C bike, they would be very popular in Oz, but if it's any bike it must be my 85 Yamaha vmax. Lousy gas mileage but It's a lot of fun! In order I think it would be three bikes, the 85 vmax, the 89 Yamaha Venture Royale and the 93 Goldwing I am building right now a tribute bike to my departed significant other.

Are all 18 bikes in a rideable state? Or are some project bikes? I think I'd have a hard time choosing between 18 bikes to ride - some would eventually become my favorite, and I'd end up riding them and neglecting others.

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:58 pm

9 bikes can be ridden anytime, one the 85 GL1200 needs a new radiator fan switch, an 1100 runs but it's a project bike that hopefully this winter will be done and in the spring custom bike show. I have an XS1100 that's stripped down for cleaning and a paint job, new seat and new lights but it can be ridden. I joke with people that I am starting a museum. At worst three bikes are donors and a couple are all there but need to be worked on, I had a near death experience back in july, retired from being a diesel mechanic, fabricator and a concrete mixer driver due to injuries. So my bike are like pets, some are slow, some are fast, they each have a unique personality.
The 2009 Star 1300 tourer I bought new, I hardly ride it, it's just not fun, the 85 vmax is fun! The 89 Yamaha Venture Royale fits me better by myself and of course the two gl1500 bikes are the big brutes, but I need to find another back seat partner to enjoy them, sadly my dear Mollie passed away in july, it was her that started me collecting Goldwings.

YAR

Postby YAR » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:12 pm

silverado6x6 wrote:Ray I have 18 bikes, I'm not a regular poster here, usually I'm over at Goldwingfacts where I post all the time, I believe I heard they relaxed some of the importing conditions but you still have to adhere to the particular requirements of stock lights, it has to be steamed cleaned, and you have to have owned it fir two year, if it's over 30 years old it's easier. I have a 1980 CX500D and an 83 CX650C bike, they would be very popular in Oz, but if it's any bike it must be my 85 Yamaha vmax. Lousy gas mileage but It's a lot of fun! In order I think it would be three bikes, the 85 vmax, the 89 Yamaha Venture Royal and the 93 Goldwing I am building right now a tribute bike to my departed significant other.

Wow you must have a big shed for that lot with easy access,
You might be right about the steam cleaning !! I was warned with the two that I have shipped out, of course both were older bikes, but had to be clean I.E no dirt or bugs under guards etc, also they were crated with authorised material for entry into the country, quarantine rules are quite strict and you could be stuck with a hefty bill if they need cleaning before release, or worse refused entry I think authoritys are even stricter if they are coming from countrys with nasty bugs they don,t want here. They are allways trying to keep unwanted pests away from our prestine produce etc, We I believe are lucky in Australia to get away with alot of pest and parasites that some countrys suffer

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Silverado, I am very sorry to hear about your back seat partner Mollie, who passed away last summer. That is hard to take, and it changes your whole life. My thoughts and condolences to you.

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 am

Not to get any more attention but I have a very much read thread about the incident at Goldwingfacts, I assume for the most b part we Goldwing owners sorta drift front one forum to another, lately they have had almost no traffic at all, or rather new posts, why I jump over here. So just to clarify what happened it's there, what we did before and what I am doing now, all for her, and to pay tribute to her overwhelming enthusiasm of motorcycle restoration. Since I have always wanted to visit Oz I think that is where my destination is in the future, not much here in Alaska for me.
But my thread is called "I lost my back seat partner"

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:19 am

I might have read your previous post or even sent my condolences. At my age and with my meds it's quite possible. But whether I did or not, I still want you to know that you have my deepest sympathy in your loss. I apologize to the original publisher for hijacking this thread. I sincerely hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Ride safe.

redial

Postby redial » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:11 am

If you get a migrant visa, the rules are different for what and how many vehicles you can import. Pre-1Jan89 built vehicles, have different rules to those built after. The pre-1989 do not have to meet the current Australian Design Rules (ADR), so that makes it easier to import.

Quarantine, as Yar pointed out, is very strict. You always have to have your vehicle cleaned on arrival by a specialist, and then passed by a Quarantine Officer. (Do you notice, that I use the word vehicle, as it applies to cars as well.) You have to get prior approval to import a vehicle, which is just paperwork and proof that you have owned and used the vehicle for about 2 years = no "princess" vehicles.

There are organisations that do all the work for you of getting the vehicles to Oz, from LA and NY. Let me know and I will give you a couple/three names for you to start checking into their prices and services. It is not always a bed of roses in the "lucky" country, and there are a lot of 'nanny' rules to worry about. (I have been booked (by a speed camera) for 4km/h above 100km/h speed limit, as an example.) On the plus side, the weather is a lot better. They do serve ice creams, and the beer is cold - but not at the same time!

Any questions, ask away. I am sure an Aussie will chime in. Currently 40C (about 104F) at 1535hrs/29Nov14, so you will not need your snow shoes. This is the last weekend of Spring. Come Christmas, shorts, flip-flops (aka thongs), and a cold beer are the dress for most people. Not everyone likes to sit down in the middle of a hot day for a big meal, so they go to the beach and have a swim and a light lunch on the beach - more betterer!

Len in Kapunda

Return to “Goldwing Chat”