GL1100 Owner thinking of RestoMod. Cafe Maybe?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

GL1100 Owner thinking of RestoMod. Cafe Maybe?

Postby Peretti » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:13 pm

I am an avid Goldwing rider and restorer. Having redone many older machines, I have rebuilt and restored many first and second generation bikes and I'm always amazed at how well they run for 30+ year machines. I currently have an 83' GL1100 that has been sitting in storage for a few years that needs a ton of work, so much so, that I seriously thinking of doing something completely different. I have always done stock restorations and they've come out great, but this 83' needs so much work, there's no loss in trying something new since it needs everything.

I've seen some beautiful Goldwing cafe bikes people have built, but that has been done very well by many out there. Even though cafe Gl's are very cool, I'm thinking of a more sport tourer, keeping the bike light and as naked as possible, but still working within the strengths of the GL1100 original design; longer distance, comfort touring.

I'm doing this for myself, but like most projects, it will eventually be sold to fund the next project. Keeping that in mind, I'm wondering what Goldwing riders, specifically early GL riders, would like to see/have in a Resto-mod bike. I'm going to narrow the parameters a bit for this topic and clarify that I want a sport tourer, so within this category, what would you like? Please tell me your thoughts... anything from more modern aesthetics, to performance, electronics, etc.

Another way to look at this is to ask where you think the stock GL110 falls short. The GL1100 series are great bikes, but they too have their shortcomings. I'm very interested in what Goldwing riders have to say. Thanks - Steve P.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100 Owner thinking of RestoMod. Cafe Maybe?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:27 pm

If I could come up with anything, I'd say top of the list is suspension - and part of that is the weight of the bike. Trying to manage all that weight, give a compliant ride, but still give some semblance of handling was a tall order in 1983. Shedding weight will fix a lot, but upgrading the suspension to modern components would absolutely transform the bike.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”