No more trucks on the Dragon

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

No more trucks on the Dragon

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:51 pm ... -1.9679842

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - (AP) -- Tennessee is banning trucks longer than 30 feet from using a twisty stretch of U.S. Route 129 that is known as The Dragon.

The truck ban is welcome news to motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts who travel long distances to experience the mountain road famous for its 318 curves in 11 miles along the western edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Most Popular

Ron Johnson, the owner of the Tail of the Dragon gift store near Robbinsville, North Carolina, called the decision "long overdue" because tractor-trailers pulling through tight turns can block both lanes of traffic and force cars and motorcycles off the road.

"I've had three close calls on the Dragon, where I'm in the ditch and can't get any further over," he said. "And trucks come through and miss me by an inch."

While trucks have been banned from the North Carolina side of the road for a few years, Tennessee until now only posted signs warning truckers of switchback turns on the route.

"They'd say, well it can't be that bad, and it's another 100 miles to go around," said Johnson, who has in the past taken it upon himself to ride his motorcycle out ahead of trucks to warn oncoming traffic.

"We didn't hold this against the truckers because they didn't know," he said.

State records show of the 1.4 million vehicles that traversed the Tennessee side of the Dragon between 2010 and 2012, there were total of 204 crashes -- with motorcycles making up 82 percent of them.

Six of those wrecks resulted in fatalities, including one involving a tractor-trailer. The riders who died on the serpentine road ranged in ages from 24 to 62.

Accidents involving trucks usually cause the road to be blocked for several hours because of its curvy and narrow nature, according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation.

Johnson said that while the Dragon draws enthusiasts from around the country and as far away as South America and the Far East to experience stretches of the road known as "The Whip," ''Revenuer's Straight" and the "Gravity Cavity," the continued presence of trucks has kept some from making their trip -- and spending their tourist dollars.

"People contact me all the time wanting to know if they still allow trucks on the Dragon, because they're not going to come if they still do," he said.

Signs detailing the new truck ban will be installed in mid-January.

In this Aug. 3, 2011, file photo, a friend gathers the belongings of Dwight R. "Ike" Woodard from the wreckage of his motorcycle on the twisty stretch of U.S. Rout 129 near Tallassee, Tenn., known as The Dragon. Woodard died after crashing into a tractor-trailer that had crossed into his lane. The Tennessee Department of Transportation announced on Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2014, that it is banning trucks more than 30 feet long from using the road. (AP Photo/The Daily Times, Iva Butler, file) Photo Credit: AP

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate. 105,000miles and still going strong.(sold)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (possibly for sale soon)
1997 Gl1500 SE in pearl sapphire black.

Re: No more trucks on the Dragon

Postby k1w1t1m » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:20 pm

I haven't made it there yet but no doubt it will be appreciated by regulars and locals. Expect an increase in law enforcement, one to catch trucks that attempt it, and two, to catch those taking advantage of the reduction of hazards. I am talking about those that would wish to travel faster than the limit.

Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Re: No more trucks on the Dragon

Postby Pam » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 am

I have not been to the dragon but am very familiar with semi trailers and long loads. Something that was long over due.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”